Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Are they similar at absorbing choppy mogul-ly resort snow?
It was pretty good conditions when I rode the Speedway, but I'd say both boards are more on the lively end of the spectrum than the damp end. Their stability comes from the stiffness and longer noses rather than the board construction itself doing a great job at absorbing chop.

I'd happily straight line pretty much anything on either, both great boards for bombing as long as you can absorb with your knees. Speedway is a great carver, I'm bias towards the Squash having more days on it but I really love the progressive sidecut, it's noticeable.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It was pretty good conditions when I rode the Speedway, but I'd say both boards are more on the lively end of the spectrum than the damp end. Their stability comes from the stiffness and longer noses rather than the board construction itself doing a great job at absorbing chop.

I'd happily straight line pretty much anything on either, both great boards for bombing as long as you can absorb with your knees. Speedway is a great carver, I'm bias towards the Squash having more days on it but I really love the progressive sidecut, it's noticeable.
Thanks for sharing. One reason I'm looking for a new board is that the Pencil Plus is hard on my knees in the chop. The First Call is very nice to ride, but not at all like the Pencil on edge.

·
Registered
693 Posts

how does the squash handle pow / trees?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
how does the squash handle pow / trees?
The nose is enormous, pow isn't an issue. It honestly rides true to size and just like a freeride board does, if you cut off the tail kick of a regular popsicle stick style tail and slap it on the nose instead... So tight trees it'll be some work, but at least the tail is shorter to slash around and not catch.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Anyone with experience with the Sims Tom Sims Pro? Is it just for bombing and doing hard carves or is it ok for mixed resort riding as well?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Start of season just around the corner... A test weekend booked for the rebirth of life!

Extrem Skis, Stöckli & Leki, Blossom Skis, Carrot by Comax, Level Gloves, Strandasnowboards, Völkl, Marker, Dalbello, Icelantic Skis, Jones snowboards, LibTech&Gnu Snowboards, Fischer, Faction, HEAD, K2 Skis & Snowboard, Line Ski, Salomon, Atomic, Salomon Snowboards, Apertiff, BURTON, Haglöfs, Nitro, Bataleon, Elan, Roxa, Republic, Oakley, Rossignol - Dynastar, Armada Skis, Dynafit, Giro, G3, Scott, Nordica, Blizzard, Smith, Technica, Stoltskis, Bliz, YES snowboards, Cmd Skis.
Hopefully I can get on the Stranda Cheater 170, Yes The Y and the Nitro Banker.

To my chagrin I just found the Nitro Banker at a Black Friday sale, but I guess I'm just going to have to risk losing that discount and see if I can try it out first.

🤸‍♂️

·
Registered
462 Posts
[QUOTE="
To my chagrin I just found the Nitro Banker at a Black Friday sale, but I guess I'm just going to have to risk losing that discount and see if I can try it out first.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I’ve given up on finding a test drive on most boards I’m interested in. Haven’t found a demo of any in three years. My advice is take the deep discount and resell for small loss if you don’t like it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah. I’ve given up on finding a test drive on most boards I’m interested in. Haven’t found a demo of any in three years. My advice is take the deep discount and resell for small loss if you don’t like it.
That’s pretty much how I got all my boards and it have only failed once (sucky bataleon 3bt tech...).

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well, I'm only going into my third season now but I bought both my current boards "blind". I've not managed to try a lot of boards other than my own.

That’s pretty much how I got all my boards and it have only failed once (sucky bataleon 3bt tech...).
I wouldn't call my first two purchase fails either. The first was a great intro board and the second was a great board, but too much of a chore to be a daily resort driver. I'd rather not have to sell my third purchase. If for no other reason that I'm lazy.

The Banker got a great review from the angry snowboarder though. And 20% discount is not too bad.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Looks like I'm going to be able to test ride both the Nitro Banker and the Stranda Cheater the weekend after this.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Of course, I'm still going to the test weekend and I might end up buying a fourth board for the third season... 🥳

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Me too and a Party Wave 154, for a price I couldn't refuse ;) 3 and 4 board only for this season. Maybe will get a Maelstrom and a D1 6". Looking at a Korua TF or CR also.
Sounds like you have things to do this season... :)

Tempted by the Nideckers as well... It mostly was between the Tracer and the Banker for me. Not sure I did the right thing by picking the Banker, but I'm going to give it a try. If nothing else it was a really nice price.

Feels a little like I'm cheating on my Pencil... lol

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
So today I got to ride a variety of boards. I rode Nitro Banker, Nitro SMP, Yes the Y, Stranda Cheater, Stranda Tree Surfer. And naturally the Korua Pencil plus.

I don’t know my feelings about the Banker. It’s a fun board but it wasn’t a real wow-feeling. The conditions were not that great and the pistes were crowded with lots of skiers.

The edge hold felt ok but not amazing but the board was easy to ride. When it gripped you could really feel the forces building up mid to end of the turn. It felt like it had lots of spring to it and when it worked well it was like being bounced out of the turn. I have to say the turn initiation felt a little boring, but very safe.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That Stranda Tree Surfer looks like a smaller Fullbag Hammerhead, and the cheater reminds me of a larger Diamond Blade. Really rad shapes. Any feelings on those?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
That Stranda Tree Surfer looks like a smaller Fullbag Hammerhead, and the cheater reminds me of a larger Diamond Blade. Really rad shapes. Any feelings on those?
The Tree Surfer was a surprise. On the anchor lift up I was eyeing the nose. It looks really big. It looked like it was going to flap a lot. It’s a stunning board and the top sheet is very nice looking, but to be honest I wasn’t expecting much of it because of the bad snow conditions. It was moguls and patches of ice and even the good snow wasn’t much fun.

Man was I wrong. Pointing it downhill and starting to initiate my first turn I was immediately struck how much the tail gripped and how stable it felt.

The board is absolutely amazing. It carved like a dream and it was very easy handling bad snow. Sadly I think I need to buy one. I personally don’t like the blunt nose shape and I already have a powder board. But it rode so well it’s hard to compare it to something else I’ve been on.

The Cheater 170 was also amazing , but I fell several times trying to avoid killing skiers. I just wasn’t used to throwing all that effective edge around. When I could get the Cheater on edge and didn’t have to worry about other people... there’s just no stopping it. Heel side, toe side... it just rips like katana through the snow. I can only imagine how the longer version rides. Or the Pipeliner.

If I could just pick a two-board quiver I would probably choose these two boards.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Me too and a Party Wave 154, for a price I couldn't refuse ;) 3 and 4 board only for this season. Maybe will get a Maelstrom and a D1 6". Looking at a Korua TF or CR also.
I ended up not keeping the Nitro Banker. I'm a little on the fence about getting rid of my Pencil + as well.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts