Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Maybe the Squash will suit you better?
Maybe, I didn't test ride the Squash.

I've taken something like 5 short runs on my new replacement Pencil plus. I could sell it, but I think I might be keeping it for powder days or for the right conditions. I'm sure a lighter or more experienced rider could appreciate it in every condition.

I'm back to square one.. :rolleyes:

I've altered my list to:

Rome Ravine 166
Salomon Speedway 170
Stranda Tree Surfer 162
Stranda Cheater 170

I'm thinking I'd like to have a board with an effective edge around 1300 mm for my third board. Not sure about the massive 1429 mm on the Cheater 170. It was really hard to turn at slower speeds in messy snow.

Could be between the Ravine, Tree Surfer and the Speedway. I know I loved the Tree Surfer, but I haven't tried the other two. The Tree Surfer is a pow/freeride board, but I could totally see myself riding that on resort groomers and the occasional powder stash and then taking out the Pencil for powder days.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
The ravine is a freestyle feel in a freeride shape, softer than you'd expect and poppy. The Speedway is freeride through and through.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
The ravine is a freestyle feel in a freeride shape, softer than you'd expect and poppy. The Speedway is freeride through and through.
Thanks!

I realize the boards are very different. I'm looking for nice turn initiation and good edge hold. I'd rather it be catchy than having slow turn initiation. And something that's at least moderately stable/absorbing and not so hard on the knees.

I enjoy riding the First Call from Salomon, but it's a little bit too soft. I interested in the Speedway because of its shorter sidecut and the 55 mm longer effective edge. I didn't get to test ride the Speedway though. Maybe the Ravine is a better choice. It has the same amount of edge.

I won't be riding over Christmas so I'm going to hold off a couple of weeks, but I need to get a daily driver for turning around the smaller resorts around New Years.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
From what I was told, the goal of the Speedway was to make a freeride board that anyone could ride, besides the obvious size limitations.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
From what I was told, the goal of the Speedway was to make a freeride board that anyone could ride, besides the obvious size limitations.
The want factor is definitely high on it.

I have a brand new Super8 163 if you like to try. Will be going to Romme a couple of times this vinter.
Even if I don't it would be cool to do a meet up. You can ride the Pencil if I still have it :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
So, this wasn't an easy one. I really don't know what kind of board I want or "need". Am I in dire need of a carving board? I was disappointed I didn't enjoy the Nitro Banker as much as I thought I would.

However, I found that Stranda Tree Surfer and it kind of blew me away. But... was it really the board I wanted? The other board from Stranda (The Cheater 170) was also sort of a wonder. I chickened out of that one too because of how hard it was to ride at low speeds.

Then I thought.... KORUA BULLET TRAIN??? It just have to be sooooooo awesome. A pencil with less taper and more effective edge. WOW.... But then... it's probably just really really stiff. Too stiff for me.

I mailed Amplid to ask about their boards. Ready to just pull the trigger at an encouraging word. I emailed them last time when I ended up buying the Pencil plus. They are really nice people. This time they were busy and didn't reply, so I chickened out of pulling then trigger on a Unw8 or a Pentaquark.

Then when I lazily browsed Nideckers site for the effective edge on the Spectre I noticed they have put in all the specs on all their boards... Looked at the Tracer once again.

Then pulled the trigger on a Tracer 161 Regular :)

It's pink and I have pink Flux XF's ... so it was a no brainer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Let us know how the Tracer rides compared to the other boards you’ve had! Noone seems to have ridden it here.
BTW do you have other bindings than the XF? From my experience Fluxes have absolutely no shock absorption and this doesn’t help with your knees.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Let us know how the Tracer rides compared to the other boards you’ve had! Noone seems to have ridden it here.
BTW do you have other bindings than the XF? From my experience Fluxes have absolutely no shock absorption and this doesn’t help with your knees.
I have a pair of Genesis X as well. Besides having awful toe straps I like the Genesis X.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Seems like you've considered boards I'm also interrested in (Korua CR, Nidecker Tracer / Area, Amplid Pentaquark, Nitro Banker), and Im curious about your thoughts on the tracer as well. Did you ever considered Bataleon Carver?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Seems like you've considered boards I'm also interrested in (Korua CR, Nidecker Tracer / Area, Amplid Pentaquark, Nitro Banker), and Im curious about your thoughts on the tracer as well. Did you ever considered Bataleon Carver?
I did look at the Bataleon Carver but skipped past it. I watched Angrysnowboarder's review and it seemed like maybe it was too much for me.

Other boards were probably also too much for me but I just wanted them enough to consider them.

Getting another Korua was hard because they're often built on the same base. I would have to get the Cafe Racer 164 to get less taper than my Pencil and that CR 164 board is really wide.

The Nitro Banker looked good on paper. When I got it delivered it was a bit disappointing. I'm sure it's a very nice board in the right conditions though.

I think that if someone stole my Pencil plus and my First Call I would probably have an easy pick for an easy two board quiver. I would get the Stranda Tree Surfer and the Cheater 170. As of now I really enjoy riding my Pencil on good groomers and in powder.

We'll see how the Tracer works out for a struggling intermediate!

61 - 80 of 90 Posts