Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Seems like you've considered boards I'm also interrested in (Korua CR, Nidecker Tracer / Area, Amplid Pentaquark, Nitro Banker), and Im curious about your thoughts on the tracer as well. Did you ever considered Bataleon Carver?
Add the Tom Sims Pro to your list. I try not to fanboy boards that I own but this thing rips a carve and charges like a battery. Versatile enough to be a daily for us carvie/chargie guys.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Add the Tom Sims Pro to your list. I try not to fanboy boards that I own but this thing rips a carve and charges like a battery. Versatile enough to be a daily for us carvie/chargie guys.
Thanks, it`s in the list now. I bet it rides great, it`s the graphics that puts me a bit of (at least 2018, the later models are better IMO).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks, it`s in the list now. I bet it rides great, it`s the graphics that puts me a bit of (at least 2018, the later models are better IMO).
i wish I bought the 2018 when I got the chance. French flag colors!
Still quite like the 2019 graphics and should finally get to ride it on Saturday!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Getting another Korua was hard because they're often built on the same base. I would have to get the Cafe Racer 164 to get less taper than my Pencil and that CR 164 board is really wide.
I was set on the Cafe Racer 164 at first because of the width and long effective edge, but I`m doubting it because I think it requires pretty wide slopes with not a lot of people on it to be fun, and that`s a rare thing for me.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I was set on the Cafe Racer 164 at first because of the width and long effective edge, but I`m doubting it because I think it requires pretty wide slopes with not a lot of people on it to be fun, and that`s a rare thing for me.
It won't be much fun in crowded resorts for sure. However, the Pencil plus is the most fun board I've tried so far. It just needs the right conditions.

I don't know how this Tracer is going to be. In the end it was between the Tracer, Area and Tree Surfer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It won't be much fun in crowded resorts for sure. However, the Pencil plus is the most fun board I've tried so far. It just needs the right conditions.

I don't know how this Tracer is going to be. In the end it was between the Tracer, Area and Tree Surfer.
I`d love to demo the CR, Pencil, Trenchdigger and Stealth in different sizes. It`s both cool and a bit confusing that the specs (taper f.ex.) doesn`t increase or decrease proportionally with the lenght, or is consistent for all lengths. Gives me the feeling that each size is finely tuned to ride a specific way, and that each size of a model is a board of itself.

I`m between Tracer and Carver at the moment, thinking the Tracer will be a playful carver (flex and sidecut looks that way) complimenting my PYL 165. Being 90 kg in 285 mondopoints boots my only concern is if the 161 is wide enough. Another board on my list is the Endevour Alpha, anyone ridden one?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I`d love to demo the CR, Pencil, Trenchdigger and Stealth in different sizes. It`s both cool and a bit confusing that the specs (taper f.ex.) doesn`t increase or decrease proportionally with the lenght, or is consistent for all lengths. Gives me the feeling that each size is finely tuned to ride a specific way, and that each size of a model is a board of itself.

I`m between Tracer and Carver at the moment, thinking the Tracer will be a playful carver (flex and sidecut looks that way) complimenting my PYL 165. Being 90 kg in 285 mondopoints boots my only concern is if the 161 is wide enough. Another board on my list is the Endevour Alpha, anyone ridden one?
The spec sheet on Nideckers page says front/rear foot width is 269/273.

I think the inconsistency of the Korua board's specs are because they cut corners between the models. Compare the Dart 160 and the Cafe Racer 164 as an example. The Cafe Racer 159 is the same as the Pencil 164, just different camber.

Since you have larger feet than me maybe you should try a Korua anyway. Besides the Stranda Tree Surfer it's still the most fun board I've tried. And I'm only an intermediate rider.

If there's fresh snow there's no question I would take my Pencil. For anyone with the opportunity: demo a Stranda Tree Surfer or Cheater. To be honest I don't really know why I just didn't get the Tree Surfer. Maybe because I already have my powder shape with the Pencil. But The Tree Surfer is really a carving board too.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #88

Quite a difference in sidecuts. Too bad it's going to be a few weeks until I get to try it out.

There's not much nose kick to talk about on the Tracer.

Tracer 7,3/7,6 m radius and 1285 effective edge, 50 mm setback stance on sidecut
Pencil 8,2 m radius, 1200 effective edge, 20 mm setback stance on sidecut
First Call 9 m radius, 1245 effective edge, centered stance on sidecut

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think the inconsistency of the Korua board's specs are because they cut corners between the models. Compare the Dart 160 and the Cafe Racer 164 as an example. The Cafe Racer 159 is the same as the Pencil 164, just different camber.
Yeah, those examples have exactly the same measurements. I guess having a production method like this keeps the price good with a wide selection of models. Makes me wonder which sizes are the "originals" / the size made for that specific shape.

Tracer looks so funky fresh!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I was looking at Korua boards, and I felt like none of them were made for big guys like me. They probably designed the boards around the medium sizes, and then made them bigger/smaller from there. It sketches me out that the specs aren't consistent across the sizes and that the larger/smaller sizes will ride differently from the mediums that they dialed in. If I weighed 155 pounds, maybe I'd ride one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
View attachment 152074

Quite a difference in sidecuts. Too bad it's going to be a few weeks until I get to try it out.

There's not much nose kick to talk about on the Tracer.

Tracer 7,3/7,6 m radius and 1285 effective edge, 50 mm setback stance on sidecut
Pencil 8,2 m radius, 1200 effective edge, 20 mm setback stance on sidecut
First Call 9 m radius, 1245 effective edge, centered stance on sidecut
Tried it yet? In the meantime I found one for a good price and couldn`t resist. Gonna try it in what has to be horrible conditions tomorrow evening with 27 / 6 positive at ref. stance.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Tried it yet? In the meantime I found one for a good price and couldn`t resist. Gonna try it in what has to be horrible conditions tomorrow evening with 27 / 6 positive at ref. stance.
Good job, I’ve had only a couple of laps on my friend’s Tracer so a very limited experience with it so far but seems to be one of the better boards with such a great price point on sale I’ve tried.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Not yet. I’ll be riding it next week. I’ll be doing 27/6 as well.

Put my Pencil up for sale, but the guy that was interested didn’t want to pay what I asked for it. I don’t really want to sell it either

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not yet. I’ll be riding it next week. I’ll be doing 27/6 as well.

Put my Pencil up for sale, but the guy that was interested didn’t want to pay what I asked for it. I don’t really want to sell it either
I have simular problems. Too many boards, and have them for sale at a probably too high price cause I really want to keep them. The only thing I`m lacking is really time and good snow.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I have simular problems. Too many boards, and have them for sale at a probably too high price cause I really want to keep them. The only thing I`m lacking is really time and good snow.
I knocked 200 Euro off he retail price. I don't think that's totally unreasonable for a basically brand new board.

But, the Pencil will stay on as my powder board I guess. I'm not sure what I would replace it with if I sold it.

As of now I think my quiver of three is quite ok... if the Tracer works out.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I knocked 200 Euro off he retail price. I don't think that's totally unreasonable for a basically brand new board.

But, the Pencil will stay on as my powder board I guess. I'm not sure what I would replace it with if I sold it.

As of now I think my quiver of three is quite ok... if the Tracer works out.
Isn't the Pencil also a great groomers board? Specially the Plus version.

I'm keeping my Banker, at least until next season. First run was kinda meh but got better for every new I did despite the shitty conditions.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Isn't the Pencil also a great groomers board? Specially the Plus version.

I'm keeping my Banker, at least until next season. First run was kinda meh but got better for every new I did despite the shitty conditions.
The Pencil Plus really is a great groomer board. And so much fun, that's why I don't really want to sell it. I love doing a carve up a bank and slashing back down. It's a bit washy in the tail for me and hard to control. It just wants to go really fast. I was looking for an addition that had a little more grip/support in the tail, and didn't kill my knees in the bad snow.

I didn't really get along with the Banker when I rode it. At least not enough to keep it. I'm sure it rips and carves awesomely. When I rode the Banker I also demoed the Stranda Tree Surfer and that board kind of kicked butt with just about anything. Everything else sort of paled to it. Rationally I should have bought the Stranda Tree Surfer.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I love doing a carve up a bank and slashing back down. It's a bit washy in the tail for me and hard to control ... When I rode the Banker I also demoed the Stranda Tree Surfer and that board kind of kicked butt with just about anything. Everything else sort of paled to it. Rationally I should have bought the Stranda Tree Surfer.
Think that’s more setback and less camber you are feeling.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts