Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Think that’s more setback and less camber you are feeling.
Perhaps. The Tree Surfer felt amazingly stabile and the tail felt like it gripped a lot. It has 70 mm of more edge than the Pencil for example. And it was very easy to ride, much less demanding than both the Pencil and the Banker, but still super nice on edge.

Next Year I might be looking at the Stranda Bowlrider.

·
Registered
259 Posts
This Stranda Cheater specs look so rad. That 11 mm camber with a managable sidecut and a crazy long EE 🤔

·
Registered
331 Posts
Perhaps. The Tree Surfer felt amazingly stabile and the tail felt like it gripped a lot. It has 70 mm of more edge than the Pencil for example. And it was very easy to ride, much less demanding than both the Pencil and the Banker, but still super nice on edge.

Next Year I might be looking at the Stranda Bowlrider.
Did you like the Tree Surfer better on piste or sidebanks, or both?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
This Stranda Cheater specs look so rad. That 11 mm camber with a managable sidecut and a crazy long EE 🤔
I only rode the Cheater 170 for a couple of laps. The long contact point and the long edge made it hard to ride with a lot of people around. It was the first time I rode a board like that and I would rate myself an intermediate rider at the most.

I think that once you get used to it, doing speed checks wouldn't be a problem. It's not made to slide around at all, it just needs to be kept on edge. I'm sure it could work fine in powder, as long as you have open fields to ride on.

It did feel amazing when you put it on edge and didn't need to worry about hitting someone.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not yet. I’ll be riding it next week. I’ll be doing 27/6 as well.

Put my Pencil up for sale, but the guy that was interested didn’t want to pay what I asked for it. I don’t really want to sell it either
Rode the Tracer yesterday, and it felt good to be back on a long full camber edge. Concrete ice patches and the fact that I`m still recovering from torn ankle ligaments (had to google that) from 7 weeks ago made me looking forward to pushing this board harder in the future. Good balance between camber, flex (I`d say 7-8, but didn`t really push it) and sidecut radius made it grip and rail excellent, speed checks on ice no problem. Next time I`ll trust it even more. I had 27 / 6 positive angles, which I love for mellow carving my Cool Bean, but next time I`ll go to my normal directional 18 / -6 to get the power I`m used to off the backfoot (there`s energy to be squized out of that tail!), and more control from the front foot.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I only rode it on piste unfortunately.
Gotcha, that explains your response regarding enjoying the effective edge and grip. If you ride sidebanks a lot you should test the board there. I like setback and a forgiving profile for those conditions, which is somewhat opposite of what works on piste.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Gotcha, that explains your response regarding enjoying the effective edge and grip. If you ride sidebanks a lot you should test the board there. I like setback and a forgiving profile for those conditions, which is somewhat opposite of what works on piste.
It is one of the reasons I really enjoy riding the Pencil + . Banks and pow.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don’t know that board, at least I didn’t until I just watched the on the table review, and no surprise, the reviewer nailed it ... for me. We have a snowsurf thread going like 12 pages long with no clear answers. Biesty just spelled it out again in another on the table review.

Pencil plus minus the camber would be ideal for me to buy sight unseen without a demo. The camber is hurting it’s rad sharp shredding turn on a bank performance, but there are other mitigating factors (setback, early rise) that might make it worthwhile to buy for me, but not without a demo on banks first.

Have you tried a fish on banks in slush or decent snow?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I don’t know that board, at least I didn’t until I just watched the on the table review, and no surprise, the reviewer nailed it ... for me. We have a snowsurf thread going like 12 pages long with no clear answers. Biesty just spelled it out again in another on the table review.

Pencil plus minus the camber would be ideal for me to buy sight unseen without a demo. The camber is hurting it’s rad sharp shredding turn on a bank performance, but there are other mitigating factors (setback, early rise) that might make it worthwhile to buy for me, but not without a demo on banks first.

Have you tried a fish on banks in slush or decent snow?
I'm not certain I know what a fish is besides a tapered set back board. Do you mean the Burton Fish?

I'm not convinced the Korua should be called a snow surfer.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
There are all kinds of surf boards. Can't there be all kinds of snowsurf boards? More about how you ride?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Rode the Tracer yesterday, and it felt good to be back on a long full camber edge. Concrete ice patches and the fact that I`m still recovering from torn ankle ligaments (had to google that) from 7 weeks ago made me looking forward to pushing this board harder in the future. Good balance between camber, flex (I`d say 7-8, but didn`t really push it) and sidecut radius made it grip and rail excellent, speed checks on ice no problem. Next time I`ll trust it even more. I had 27 / 6 positive angles, which I love for mellow carving my Cool Bean, but next time I`ll go to my normal directional 18 / -6 to get the power I`m used to off the backfoot (there`s energy to be squized out of that tail!), and more control from the front foot.
Did you happen to get it into any crappy bumped up chundery snow? I’m thinking of replacing my Tom Sims (board died) with a Tracer but I’m concerned that it will be too lively and get bumped around, being European construction vs a damp American constructed board. I like dampness when carving and charging.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did you happen to get it into any crappy bumped up chundery snow? I’m thinking of replacing my Tom Sims (board died) with a Tracer but I’m concerned that it will be too lively and get bumped around, being European construction vs a damp American constructed board. I like dampness when carving and charging.
The conditions weren`t the worst in that sense, but I noticed that the board is a bit lively. I can`t put it on a scale or anything, cause I haven`t ridden hundreds of boards, but that would be interresting to hear from a reviewer. The contact lenght from my front foot to the nose felt huge (subject to vibration?), the 161 is a big board for it`s size, but I think thats a good thing for me once I get to know it better. I swapped the hard bushings to the mediums on my Now bindings, and gonna ride it again this evening.

·
Registered
259 Posts
What happened to the board? You crashed? You can still get an Amplid Surfari 157 on a big discount.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Luckily this is a myth

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
There are all kinds of surf boards. Can't there be all kinds of snowsurf boards? More about how you ride?
I don’t really disagree with you, but then there are no snowsurf boards and every board could be described as surfy.
If there was something such as a snowsurf board I think I would probably personally pick a board with a shorter radius towards the tail and not crazily stiff.
To me it seem like the Korua is made to sort of launch itself into the turn then keep the turning radius through out it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
To me it seem like the Korua is made to sort of launch itself into the turn then keep the turning radius through out it.
And this tickles my gear-whoring brain part to buy a Korua Pencil Plus yet this season. I just don’t like your feedback on a windswept icy surface edge hold... Though the slush part of the season is coming now so...

101 - 120 of 151 Posts