Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I don’t really disagree with you, but then there are no snowsurf boards and every board could be described as surfy.
If there was something such as a snowsurf board I think I would probably personally pick a board with a shorter radius towards the tail and not crazily stiff.
To me it seem like the Korua is made to sort of launch itself into the turn then keep the turning radius through out it.
Yea I guess it's a marketing term just like freestyle and freeride. But by this logic I wouldn't call my longboard surfy either, and that's a surfboard after all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did you happen to get it into any crappy bumped up chundery snow? I’m thinking of replacing my Tom Sims (board died) with a Tracer but I’m concerned that it will be too lively and get bumped around, being European construction vs a damp American constructed board. I like dampness when carving and charging.
Despite the conditions I had a few laps today where it really came alive. 18 /-6 stance with medium bushings on now bindings really did the trick, Im loving the Tracer.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Dang, an Asym pow board?!
The Nidecker Tracer to the left and the Salomon First Call 162 to the right. The First Call is actually marketed as a freestyle powder boards. I think the Tracer could probably work quite well in powder for a lighter rider.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Started the day out on the First Call 162. Such a fun board to ride. I wish the sidecut would be a bit tighter on it, maybe like on the 157. I'm actually tempted to get one, since it looks like they are discontinuing the First Call.

After lunch I switched to the Tracer 161 and managed to get a few laps on it. My first turns from the cabin down to the lift nearly killed me. The tail hooked on everything and skiers ran in front of me!

It took a minute or two until I found my balance on it. It's absolutely possible to slide or scarve turns on it, but you have to be a bit mindful of the contact points in the beginning. In ever kind of turn you can feel that tail grip. I think this board might be a little too much for me to just play around on.

The sidecut on the Tracer is super fun. Set the board on edge and it just takes off! On edge you can really feel that effective edge doing some work. On edge I kept expecting to wash out but it just didn't happen. Even sliding the turns you get a lot of grip.

All in all I'm super happy after my first runs on the little pink Tracer, not sure I've noticed how the asymmetric sidecut works though. Maybe I'll find out in a day or two.

The board wants to go fast and and trace lines...I think I might be a Nidecker and Stranda fan boy now. I'll take my Pencil out tomorrow and compare. Maybe I'm still a Korua fan boy too :D Now I'm curious about the Bullet Train.

(And I really liked the Flux XF bindings.)

·
Registered
462 Posts
All in all I'm super happy after my first runs on the little pink Tracer, not sure I've noticed how the asymmetric sidecut works though. Maybe I'll find out in a day or two.
I think well executed technologies aren't particularly noticeable. They just do their job and let you ride better. It's good news to me that you weren't thinking about that asym sidecut at all. Just makes me want to try one more.

·
Registered
462 Posts
GET A CUSTOM DONEK ANY WAY U WANT PROBLEM SOLVED. 🏂🤙🏻🏂🤙🏻 FROM MODO IN COLORADO
I think you need to know a lot about how specs make boards ride before you can order a custom board that's gonna ride well at all. For most of us, production boards take room for error out of the equation. They have already done the prototyping and have fixed all the little bugs that come with a one-off. Ryan Knapton gets one or two new "Knapton Twins" every season because he's trying to dial in what he needs from those boards. I'm not about to order a new Donek every six months so I can dial in a board. I respect the game, but chasing custom boards isn't for everyone.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
And this tickles my gear-whoring brain part to buy a Korua Pencil Plus yet this season. I just don’t like your feedback on a windswept icy surface edge hold... Though the slush part of the season is coming now so...
Today I started out riding my Pencil Plus with my Genesis X bindings. I swapped out the toe straps for the getagrip capstraps. I really like those a lot.

I was going to switch to the Tracer after lunch but kept the Pencil due to a skijoring trip up a mountain. Then I just didn't want to switch because I was having to much fun riding it.

If I could only keep one of my three boards it would be the Pencil. Once there is enough piste to ride on it's just so much fun. I'm just an intermediate rider but it's just amazing riding it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Did a full day on the Tracer, and it could be my daily driver. It doesn't feel stiff. Not exactly playful, but once you get used to the contact points and how the tail drives it's quite agile.

Compared to the Pencil I ride it with a lot more weight on my back foot. wet I ride the Pencil I go into the turns a lot more front foot heavy then distributes the weight evenly along the edge through the turn. On the Tracer I don't have to be careful about moving the weight back at all.

Thumbs up for the Tracer and the Pencil Plus. Two different but really nice boards.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
The Tracer will definitely be a keeper for piste riding. I hated it in the trees. So catchy for me :D ... Today was +C and after lunch I rushed in to get the Pencil because of the glide. Not sure why, but the Pencil Plus has really good glide out of manufacturing.

The First Call is fun, but it will have to go I think. At least I'm not going to be carrying it around on trips.

The Tracer will be my piste board and the Pencil plus will be the powder/freeride board. So now I need two more boards for my quiver of four. One shorter tree/play board and a board with a long sidecut.

·
Registered
257 Posts
So the Pencil Plus is worse for piste than the Tracer or more that you are finding a niche to keep both?😁

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
The Tracer is easier to carve on piste, but when the Pencil is carved properly it's very fun. There's no way I'm getting rid of the Pencil. I don't know what I was thinking when I considered selling it. And I need the Tracer because I really like riding it. The Tracer is a lot more catchy than the Pencil though.

If I hand to choose between them I would keep the Pencil plus. So yeah, maybe it's just an excuse to keep them both.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The season is slowly ending and I feel a deep urge to buy and try one more board.
Kind of torn between some Korua like Pencil Plus 164 or Cafe Racer 159 (though Tranny Finder 157 I can get cheaper looks the very same spec-wise) and K2 Simple Pleasures 156 and maybe US Orbit 157.
Something wider for leaving trenches and floating in slush but what keeps the good edge on refrozen shit.
My Yes Optimistic 154 does it but I want a longer sidecut to really lay it over without being rushed out of the turn.
I like the less taper on the K2 but more effective edge and longer sidecut on the Koruas. I think I need to roll the dice haha

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
The Korua plus boards are a bit expensive. The TF I think might ride much the same as the Pencil on groomers. They're basically the same board as far as I know.

On a side note I just pulled the trigger on the Capita Slush Slasher 151 :)

oooops ...

·
Registered
462 Posts
The Korua plus boards are a bit expensive. The TF I think might ride much the same as the Pencil on groomers. They're basically the same board as far as I know.

On a side note I just pulled the trigger on the Capita Slush Slasher 151 :)

oooops ...
That's a solid move! I've been having a good time on my 151 so far. No regrets over here.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
That's a solid move! I've been having a good time on my 151 so far. No regrets over here.
What kind of bindings do you use? Do you think I can get away with using my Flux XF or should I get some Union Force instead. Found those on discount.

121 - 140 of 150 Posts