Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

ThirtyTwo TM-2's in my true Mondo Size: extreme top of the foot pain. Is it normal before heat molding?

6611 68
I am trying really hard to get boots that fit. Really really hard. Salomon boots sadly were a bust due to manufacturing design issues in my size, so I went with 32 TM-2's. Compared to the Salomon Lo Fi's, I immediately had extreme tightness and pain on the top of my foot. Should I just return them and try other boots?
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
TM-2's break in for me perfectly, but for the first few days they make my feet numb within 45 minutes due to pressure on the top of the foot. Heat molding definitely helps, but even then I have to loosen them mid-day to get some feeling back. After five days, that goes away. I should emphasize that this is not "pain" but numbness soon after lacing them up.

Other things to try: super thin socks. Like business socks. I'd say if you don't feel an improvement with business socks on, you might want to return the boots and try a different brand instead of heat molding.

Also, it's not apparent but on the TM-2 when you tighten the laces between the upper and lower section, there is a system inside that forces the tongue down onto your foot. Look at how the tongue is attached and figure out how that works. Those first few days I leave the lower section completely loose and cross the laces around each other to lock them before lacing the upper tightly. This helps ease the tongue pressure.

But take my advice with a grain of salt, I have a foot that's fairly medium and standard in most ways. Then again, if you're a US10 Mens and you keep them and they don't work out, I'd be interested in buying a slightly used set for a demo discount.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I wear extremely thin darn tough snow socks. I tried the boots on again and I just can't stand it. I never felt pain or tightness this extreme before, and the top of my foot is actively pushing the liner tongue up and out of where it should rest. These must not be the right fit for me I guess, I tried pulling the tongues out from the boot as much as possible just to see if I still felt pain and I did.

Also the TM-2's I got have dual boa instead of traditional laces. I wonder if I have a high instep but whenever I look into info for that, everything I found is about arches and not instep. I think my arches are normal but the top of my foot might just be too high.

I had Salomon LoFi's in the same size that I had to return due to a design flaw that makes the boot unusable, but they were tight and comfortable right out of the box and felt perfect for my foot. Vans Infuse also in half a size up were great, but still had heel lift so I am going to try Vans Aura Pro's in my true size.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
What's the design flaw in LoFi Salomons?

Salomon tend to have a slightly narrow feel but if you fit in them as a brand they work great and are extremely comfortable. Maybe another model of Salomons would work?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I made a post about it initially but no one seemed to know about it. The str8jkt system, which is the only harness/mechanism holding the liner in the boot and is designed for maximum heel hold, was too small. The red material that makes up the harness only reached about halfway over the top of the foot. This isn't an issue with my foot either, the material could not cover the top of the foot area even with no foot in the boot. Here was my post and photo about it:

Salomon Lo Fi: Is the Boa Str8Jkt system supposed to be...

It either is a design issue this year, or a manufacturing issue on this size (7). Both the left and right boot had the issue so I see it as probably a design issue and not just a random defect. They fit so comfortably and I wanted to love them so much. But they just had a major flaw that prevents them from being used in any way. From what I have seen and researched, that red strap is supposed to completely cover the foot. But when this is tightened down, it's still too loose while providing severe pain from the areas not covered by the red strap.

This is the coverage you should get.:

This video shows how big the harness really his and how it should be:

·
Registered
Amplid splitboard, Phantom Bindings, Atomic Blackland
9,003 Posts
Yeah I wear extremely thin darn tough snow socks. I tried the boots on again and I just can't stand it. I never felt pain or tightness this extreme before, and the top of my foot is actively pushing the liner tongue up and out of where it should rest. These must not be the right fit for me I guess, I tried pulling the tongues out from the boot as much as possible just to see if I still felt pain and I did.

Also the TM-2's I got have dual boa instead of traditional laces. I wonder if I have a high instep but whenever I look into info for that, everything I found is about arches and not instep. I think my arches are normal but the top of my foot might just be too high.

I had Salomon LoFi's in the same size that I had to return due to a design flaw that makes the boot unusable, but they were tight and comfortable right out of the box and felt perfect for my foot. Vans Infuse also in half a size up were great, but still had heel lift so I am going to try Vans Aura Pro's in my true size.
K ray, have you done any boot fitting with the TM's? The inner laces are to hold your shin...thus the foot back in to the heel pocket. Have you tried pushing the liner tongue down instead of pulling it up?...it might sound counter-intuitive but try it.

Take a side profile pic...sounds like you might have a high instep and high arch. Ime, first, you definitely want an insole that supports and matches your high arch. Secondly you will need to deal with the high instep (I have both). So first get some self-adhesive boot fitting foam that is 1/4" or 3.8" thick. Cut a patch that will fit over your instep where there is pressure. Then stick that patch on your instep and cover with a very thin sock or nylon to hold the patch in place. Heat up the liners per the usual recommended method...rice or low temp oven...goggle it. When it is done cooking. Put your liner in the boot, then put in your correct insole, and then your nylon covered feet with the patch. Then tighten the inner laces and then both boas....snug but not hella tight. And stand in an athletic stance with knees bent in your standard with and angles (not with the board on). Stand quietly in the athletic stance until everything is cool...about 15-20 minutes. Your feet with the boot fitting patch will be very tight...your feet might go numb and be in pain...frick'n ignore the weakness and just take it. When the boots are cool, remove your feet, take off the patch and then put your feet back in...it should be alot more comfortable.

Then go ride...but know that 32 liners continue to pack out and you will need to add foam bits to the outside of the liners to keep everything feeling snug and giving you a performance fit. Boot fitting and liner mods are an on-going process....it is not a 1 and done. If you think it is easy and simple....get another sport like ping pong.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Asking again if you've ridden any Ride boots yet. The lasso feel amazing to me and I've gone through a ton of stuff. You might also like the vans verse. They seemed to space for a big instep since the heel hold wasn't great for me and I have a small instep. They were being cleared out by sierra recently.

Worth a shot!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I must have missed the Ride rec! Maybe next season if the Vans Aura Pro work out for me. I don't think my instep is high, will try to post pics. But I took out out the tm-2 liner and isolated the issue to the tongue foam just being extremely stiff. The rest of the liner feels like typical liner, but the tongue is like stone. Is that normal? Figure heat mold would fix anyway, but I really am not going to risk heat molding these if I know Vans already fit me much better based on my experience with Infuse.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I don't recall the tongue liner being particularly stiff on the TM2's I've owned and I'm on my second pair right now. Are you sure it's not the tongue itself? Can you replicate the issue by tightening just the liner on your foot?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that's what I said I did, that's how I know it's the liner lol. I can pull the shell liner pretty far away from the liner and notice that it was not what was causing problems. I took the liner out and tried it on with no shell and it was extremely uncomfortable. The tongue of the liner is stiff even if just touching it with my hand. The rest of the liner is solf and malleable, while the tongue feels like it's frozen. Maybe it was stored poorly in a warehouse for a long time. But it seems odd to have only a liner on my foot, with no tightening or laces because this is outside the shell, be so uncomfortable and downright painful.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Both definitely. I think it's intentionally like this and would pack out or be fixed with heat molding, but my foot feels zero hints of comfort in this thing. I know boots should be snug but I also know they shouldn't be painful all around your foot before riding or molding. The other pain is just from the general tightness but the material does not feel comfortable. Like a Vans or Salomon liner in the same size will be just as tight but not feel like death to my feet.

·
Registered
Amplid splitboard, Phantom Bindings, Atomic Blackland
9,003 Posts
Both definitely. I think it's intentionally like this and would pack out or be fixed with heat molding, but my foot feels zero hints of comfort in this thing. I know boots should be snug but I also know they shouldn't be painful all around your foot before riding or molding. The other pain is just from the general tightness but the material does not feel comfortable. Like a Vans or Salomon liner in the same size will be just as tight but not feel like death to my feet.
Intuition liners are stiff and feel hard when new and it takes 5-6 days of riding to get them feeling good...even with heat moulding.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,627 Posts
I'm also trying really hard to get 32 TM2 XLT and MTB fit my feet, high arch, high instep. The problem with them is that they a) have a low toe box and b) the stiff tongue presses right on the arch when one's shin presses on the tongue if on topside edge. IMO, those boots are just not made for pol with high arch.

However, I don't have much alternatives, as 32 so far is the only brand which makes women's boots suitable for BC, so I'm doomed to tinker with what I have.

Step 1 was to undo the lower eyelets of liner and shell lacing to relief pressure on arch. Thin custom insoles and thin socks. Next step was to hack the liner and cut out foam over the arch. These steps made the boots quite endurable, while riding, but toes still get numb on topside traverses as the tongue squeezes blood flow off.

Last step now was to make a carbon tunnel which I put between liner and shell which absorbs this stupid tongue squeeze pressure. Still in experiment phase :)

However, if one experiences this arch crush from the stiff tongue and would have other boot models as alternatives at hand, I'd simply avoid those 32 boots. They are great with their features, I love how stiff and endurable they are, but they are not for every foot.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Yeah it's your "true mondo size" but is the boot itself dedigned and built to "true mondo size" and your foot shape ? I don't know. And dont care either.

The fit should improve with heat molding. But my experience is that type of poor fit is there long-term... so I would just ditch those boots unless you can make them fit more reasonably with simple stuff.

I have high arch as well, but 32 are the only boots that hold my heels. Have to learn and figure out how to avoid the pressure at the top. The Elite liner is more roomy so should have less overall pressure... this ok for higher volume feet, but for my feet im super happy with the TM2 liner.

Anyways... see if you can get the fit to be reasonable at home. Then a boot fit. If it doesnt work after heat fit... get rid of them because they just wont work.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah for sure not worth the trouble I think since I already know other boots that don't have this issue for me. The low toe box was certainly noticeable to me. I'll see how the Vans Aura Pro goes.

On that note, I hate that companies upgrade everything as price goes up. For example, the Vans Infuse has their top of the line most comfortable liner, but that boot is pretty stiff and not for everyone's style. Their more freestyle focused boots cost less, but also have a liner that is the next step down, which has slightly less comfort and features.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Yeah for sure not worth the trouble I think since I already know other boots that don't have this issue for me. The low toe box was certainly noticeable to me. I'll see how the Vans Aura Pro goes.

On that note, I hate that companies upgrade everything as price goes up. For example, the Vans Infuse has their top of the line most comfortable liner, but that boot is pretty stiff and not for everyone's style. Their more freestyle focused boots cost less, but also have a liner that is the next step down, which has slightly less comfort and features.
I've found, at least with ThirtyTwo, comfort decreases as you go up in price/performance. The Lashed boots are like comfy slippers, TM-2's break in to feel good, but are stiffer and more responsive, TM-2 XLT are stiff and very uncomfortable until broken in. Haven't tried the TM-3's yet.

I'd probably be in Lashed boots if I didn't care about the response, and just count on buying a new pair each season.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,627 Posts
..., TM-2 XLT are stiff and very uncomfortable until broken in.
They break in? Ever?
Mine seem as stiff as on day one, after 3 seasons splitboarding and bootpacking, lol. Maybe memory is just deceiving me and they were much worse 😁

Reactions: F1EA

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
They break in? Ever?
Mine seem as stiff as on day one, after 3 seasons splitboarding and bootpacking, lol. Maybe memory is just deceiving me and they were much worse 😁
I have three pairs of TM-2 XLT's. I didn't think they broke in either, but I put on some new ones after 75 days in my old ones and the difference is massive.

It's "oh wow these fit like a glove and my feet are warm" vs. "I can't get my feet in without a hammer."

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.