Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I like to be in the smallest boots I can manage. At first, my toes are definitely curled up a bit. There's some mods you can make to ease that pressure until the liners pack out, ans some mods you can do to speed that process along. It's important to really seat your heel into the heel pocket by kicking your heel on the ground before you lace the boots up. Maybe settling that heel pocket issue will be as important as making more space in the toe box.

Heel risers- I make my own out of a few layers of adhesive foam. You can cut some out of cardboard to see how they feel before you go all out with the foam. Raising the heel seats my skinny heels into the heel pocket better while pulling my toes away from the front. Add more foam until you get the height you want. As the boots pack out, you can remove layers of foam to back off the lift a bit.

More molding- you can mold liners multiple times. For hotspots, you can heat the spot with a heat gun or burly hair dryer. The EVA will get soft and then start to puff up a bit. Adding some foam to your toes when molding can bump that area out a but. Same theory goes for the heel pocket.

If you still need room, you can cut a little slit into the front of the liner where your toes are smashed. Maybe ripping off the stock j bars and adding some less aggressive ones could help seat your heel better. Perhaps a lower volume insole would be worth looking into as well.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Hit the backside against the ground, almost like you're scraping mud off the bottom of your foot but hit the ground instead. Really try to get your heel as far back into the boot as you can. If there's a heel hold system, lock it down before you lace up the boots.

Yeah, I often still have some toe pressure after heat molding. However, I'm running slightly under my Mondo measurements. I run heel lifts and do some more aggressive molding, but I haven't had to make modifications other than that. My boots fit very comfortably. Sometimes I think I could get more aggressive with it and drop down another half size. I don't want to commit to buying and modding boots if it's not going to work however. I'm thinking I'll try my current used liners in some smaller shells if I go that route.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Thanks, I'll try that next time. But thoughts on toe ramps during molding? It seems to work but I don't know why it's advised against doing that.
I don't mess with toe ramps. I'm not against them though- I suppose they could help seat you into the heel pocket. I generally just get into my preferred snowboarding stance and wait for the liners to cool.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
When heat molding, lace up as if you're going for a ride.

As for the loss of circulation, I like to bump out a space for the veins that run on the top of my foot. They all come together on top of the foot where the tongue presses down. I add a little adhesive foam/moleskin right over those veins when heat molding. It sounds funny as I type it, but my feet have been warmer from better circulation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.