Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

441 - 460 of 460 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
Rain

Rain. Rain. Rain.

Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain.

Rain rain.

Rain.

Wait. Oh, look. It's...

Nope. More rain. :mad: 🤬 😡 :poop:

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
Finally, FFS

Finally got some reasonable (not great, but reasonable) weather yesterday, and I took advantage of it. After the previous 40 days and 40 nights of deluge, the trails were in no condition to ride on, of course. Plus you'd have to dodge all the ducks swimming in the puddles. But I was able to do the walking trail, then down to Coquitlam River, which is at least a good conditioning run.

I also checked out the baseball field above the school, which turns out to be a lot better drained field than the morass below the tennis courts. Less than a day after the deluge, it was dry and firm enough to ride on. I think that'll be my practice field from now on.

On that subject, I spent maybe twenty minutes working on basic techniques like track stands, tight-radius turns, and wheelies. I'm hoping to make this a regular part of my ride. Eventually I'd like to work my way through all the basic techniques for mountain bike riding, including the dreaded bunny hop. We'll see.

The rest of the week is also looking good for weather, so maybe I'll be able to get in some exercise before the next month-long storm front moves in. 😡

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
Three in a row

That's three sunny days in a row, which is far more surprising than the fact that I got three days of riding in. Right now, the weather is looking pretty good on the predictions, with only some limited showers on Saturday and Sunday, and sun/cloud the rest of the time. If only it could be true...

So I went up to the baseball field again, and did some trackstands and wheelies. And I am, amazingly, seeing progress. Not quantum leaps, but a little bit better each day is more than acceptable. I forgot to work on tight turns, but I'll get into a routine eventually.

The trails were still a little mucky, but not wallows any more. And my riding is also detectably improving, thanks to frequent rides. I'd be happier if I could be more consistent about hitting all my fave trails, but on days like today, time is limited. Still, a ride is a ride, and way more fun in the sun.

Also, I've now lost 10 lbs and 2" off my waist since the beginning of May. And that's without dieting, although I am paying attention to snacking and second helpings.

And apropos of nothing in particular, I love my Bell SuperDH helmet. Being able to unsnap the chin section is very handy.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
Whistler Day

Whistler has closed a number of trails around Lost Lake for maintenance and fire prevention. Which is political speak for getting rid of underbrush and logs and stumps and such to reduce the dangers of fire. It's not a terrible idea, but of course the trails they've closed are some of my favorites, and the ones I always start with when riding in Whis.

So I did some research and came up with a course that would give me a good workout. The full course starts with Dwarf Nebula, which is accessed just off the Lower Panorama fire road. Then on to Zoot Allures, followed by Toads of the Short Forest, Gee I Like Your Pants, Son of Mr. Green Genes, and finally Jellyroll Gumdrop. Jellyroll lets me off at the small bridge onto Old Mill Road as it runs back to town, so it's a nice flat ride to cool off.

Man, you sure can tell the people who named these trails were stoned at the time o_O:LOL:.

I tried Dwarf Nebula last time I was in Whis, and it kicked my ass, sadly. I did a lot better today, possibly at least partly because I tuned my suspension before I set out. It was a little under-pressure, and rebound was set low. Anyway, today I cleaned a lot of the sections that stopped me last time.

I continued on through Zoot and onto Toads. Unfortunately near the end of Toads, I took a wrong turn and ended up climbing Treacherous Cretins and Central Scrutinizer up to Muffin Man. Insane climb, insane downhill. Won't be doing that again for a while.

I'm having trouble with wood bridges, though. For whatever reason, they freak me out, especially when they're raised up more than a foot or two. After almost riding off one on Toads, I ended up walking all but the shortest ones. I need to find a relatively long, relatively flat bridge with small consequences and just ride back and forth on it until I'm desensitized. I haven't found one yet, but then I haven't visited all the trails by any means.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #445 (Edited)
Local day

Came back home early yesterday, but there was no hope of a ride. Maybe some canoeing down the street. Today was much better in that it wasn't raining, and there were even a couple of glimpses of blue sky. Everything's still doubtless soaked in the trails, though, so today was a practice and conditioning day.

I started off up at the baseball field, practicing techniques. Still doing the basic three, wheelies, trackstands, and tight S turns. And they continue to improve. I think if I spent an hour or two solid at the field, I could nail those once and for all. Unfortunately, my boredom threshold won't allow that.

While I was riding down around Coquitlam River, I tried doing manuals--well, wheel lifts, really. I'm a long way from a manual--using advice from this youtube video. And I pulled a couple of the highest wheel lifts I've ever done. Turns out it's as simple as dipping a little forward over the bars at the beginning of the move, which gives you more room when pulling back. Of course, I also clubbed it several times. But as with most techniques, the first couple of successes are the biggest deal. After that it's just practice.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Whistler Day

Whistler has closed a number of trails around Lost Lake for maintenance and fire prevention. Which is political speak for getting rid of underbrush and logs and stumps and such to reduce the dangers of fire. It's not a terrible idea, but of course the trails they've closed are some of my favorites, and the ones I always start with when riding in Whis.

So I did some research and came up with a course that would give me a good workout. The full course starts with Dwarf Nebula, which is accessed just off the Lower Panorama fire road. Then on to Zoot Allures, followed by Toads of the Short Forest, Gee I Like Your Pants, Son of Mr. Green Genes, and finally Jellyroll Gumdrop. Jellyroll lets me off at the small bridge onto Old Mill Road as it runs back to town, so it's a nice flat ride to cool off.

Man, you sure can tell the people who named these trails were stoned at the time o_O:LOL:.

I tried Dwarf Nebula last time I was in Whis, and it kicked my ass, sadly. I did a lot better today, possibly at least partly because I tuned my suspension before I set out. It was a little under-pressure, and rebound was set low. Anyway, today I cleaned a lot of the sections that stopped me last time.

I continued on through Zoot and onto Toads. Unfortunately near the end of Toads, I took a wrong turn and ended up climbing Treacherous Cretins and Central Scrutinizer up to Muffin Man. Insane climb, insane downhill. Won't be doing that again for a while.

I'm having trouble with wood bridges, though. For whatever reason, they freak me out, especially when they're raised up more than a foot or two. After almost riding off one on Toads, I ended up walking all but the shortest ones. I need to find a relatively long, relatively flat bridge with small consequences and just ride back and forth on it until I'm desensitized. I haven't found one yet, but then I haven't visited all the trails by any means.
re trail names... Dude...Canada..Eh! I spent a winter in Whistler back in the 90's, primo weed was everywhere then, I can't imagine what it's like now ;)

Wood bridges... you talking about skinnies? I hate those things. I get why they would build them to connect sections of trail though, especially when the area they would need to clear is choked with boulders and fallen trees.
Sometimes they can be a bit contrived, IMO. no need to build one if there's no actual requirement, I say.

Great reading about your progression, esp with bunny-hops. Ollies on a bike. Manuals are super useful too. still working on those. :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #447
Skinnies seems to involve more along the lines of logs with their topsides flattened, or 2x8 boards. I've seen a few wood bridges under 'skinnies' but they're really narrow. The wood bridges I'm looking at are 18" to 24" wide. And honestly, I can ride that narrow easily when there isn't a drop on the side. But add some consequence and I'm just not confident enough yet. Thus the need for desensitization.

Next time I'm up to Whistler (there are very few bridges in Coquitlam that I can find), I'm going to locate a bridge that's long, reasonably flat, and low to the ground and just ride back and forth on it until I'm bored silly. It's the only way.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #448
Getting some good days in

So this was three days in a row since I've gotten back from Whis. Today was almost aborted, as it rained a bit in the morning and spit a few times otherwise. But I got out there. Got rained on a little, but with the humidity right now it felt good. The trails weren't too bad--very little open water, just a lot of mud wallows. Of course it started to pour after I got back home, and it's going to rain the rest of today and all of tomorrow according to the predictors.

Junuary. Urgh.

But hey, I did get those three days. And my wheelies are coming along. Two things I learned today: 1) more speed helps. I've been slowing almost to a stop before popping, thinking it would give me more pop, but I can get enough pop with a higher starting speed and more stability. 2) When I pull back on the pop, I have to go back until my arms are straight. If I stop short while my elbows are still bent, is no bueno. It's not earth-shaking, but this is supposed to be pretty basic. And hey, I'm getting more strokes on my wheelies before I drop the front, so improvements.

The trails also are going well. I'm hitting all of my regular trails faster, not only because I'm getting better with the terrain but also because my fitness is improving and I can just plain maintain a better pace for longer. The log roll on Mama Bear isn't really even a problem any more, nor is that steep pitch coming out of the Loop trail. All in all, feeling good.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #449
Grrrrr

Well, I'm up in Whistler, and oh look, it started raining. It's predicted to rain until the day I leave. Quelle surprise. So there won't be any bridge/skinny practice this time around. Too bad, as I'm feeling pretty optimistic about it.

I'm relatively happy with my progress on wheelies, as mentioned before. I'm just about managing 4 strokes now before the front end drops. But I'm not spending enough time practicing. Yesterday I only did two laps in the field before taking off. The other thing I'm bugged about is that there are a number of things I should be practicing. They are:

• Wheelies
  • Trackstands
  • Trackstarts
  • Manuals
  • Rear wheel lifts
  • Bunny hops
Probably in that order. Trackstarts, BTW, is my own name for a technique where you get on the bike and up on the pedals with the brakes on, then release the brakes and go. It's useful for getting going on a trail after you've dabbed. Anyway, I probably should pick a day where I spend most of my session on the field instead of just using it as a warm-up.

I could also set up a fake skinny using rope and practice staying inside the rope area. And I could also take a drive out to one or more of the bike parks. Of course, knowing me, that's unlikely to happen. Too much inertia and laziness.

Anyway, this is a whiny, grousing post for today because it's raining. Did I mention that it's raining? This is, after all, the wet coast.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #450 (Edited)
Finally back in the saddle

After four days in a row of rain, I finally was able to get a riding day. So of course, to make up for lost time I overdid it. Did three hours of hard riding, and I'm feeling it a little right now.

In addition to my usual Bert Flinn trails, I did the Coquitlam RIver Trail, both north and south of David. The south side is nothing, of course. Wide walking trails, really only useful for conditioning sprints. But the trail north of David, even when the trail is dry and firm, has some really varied terrain. Don't get me wrong, it's mostly green with some blue sections, but it's interesting at least. Today, though, was not dry. The first day after four solid days of rain? Mud-bath. And when I say mud-bath, I mean going through mud wallows where the tire is acting more like a snow tire, basically flinging mud backwards from the tread. And a couple of puddles so deep that they submerged my feet on the downstrokes.

I haven't done this trail since last year, and I had to get off and walk a fair bit of it, especially the steep rock-gardeny part near the south end. Today, while I didn't ace the whole thing, I did considerably more of the trail on the bike. So I'll call that a win.

But the real win from my point of view is my waist is down to 40" exactly, which is a new low since I don't know when; and my weight is down to 204. Still lots of room to improve, but I'm heading in the right direction.

I just hope all the moaning in pain tonight doesn't keep my wife awake. Advil is your friend, and I think a couple are on the menu for bedtime. 😣😖

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #451
Practice makes... better, anyway

One of my items for next snowboarding season is to get lots of hours of lots of days on the slopes, the idea being that nothing improves your riding like hours on the hill. Well, I'm getting a really good illustration of that with my mountain biking as well. Despite my whining about rain (which is entirely deserved, I might add), I've been getting a lot of days in a row on the trails. And surprise, surprise, it's having an effect. I'm handling steeps better, rocky and rooty stuff better, features that were previously freaking me out are now all but routine, my riding is getting more precise as in able to follow and stay on a line, and I'm just all-round getting more confident.

In particular, ladder bridges have been my big fear this season, but I think I'll find I'm pretty much over that once I get back to Whistler. There's a bridge on Jo-Jo Flinn that I've been hitting every time. It's got a bit of a lip coming onto it, and I have to give a slight hop with the front wheel to avoid too much of a thump. Yesterday I bobbled the hop and started going off the bridge, but corrected myself and just rode on through. My fear of course has been that I'd be unable to correct if I went off my line and I'd go over the side. So not an issue any more.

There's also a short skinny on the same run that I've been hitting each time as well. I still don't think I'm ready for skinnies of any real length, but I do feel like I'm getting there, especially if they're low-consequence. The log roll on Mama Bear isn't even an event any more. I just hit it and continue on.

There are a few things on Jo-Jo that I'm still having problems with, or avoiding entirely. But I think that's coming.

On the skillz front, I got up to 5 strokes on wheelies today, so I'm really starting to feel like I'll be able to just hold those pretty soon. OTOH, my front wheel lifts have tanked. I think it's at least partly due to my sore right elbow, which I'm favoring a bit. But still, I should be able to do better. I think it's time to bring the camera with me for a session on the field, just to see what my attempts at a manual look like.

Also, the other day I did Bert Flinn then Black Dog then Mama Bear then Jo-Jo then Hett Creek. I was pretty much done by the end of that, but damn what a good day. Next I have to start investigating the North Starz area. I did them once last year then never went back, for some reason. I think it's time.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #452
Finally, a Whistler Day

After what feels like forever, we finally got back up to Whistler for a few days. And nice days, at least according to the predictors. I went out for a bike ride, of course. I wanted to try out some of the trails that I've identified on Trailforks as interesting blues. The trouble, though, is that RMOW has closed off a bunch of trails around the Passivhaus for firebreak clearing, and the easiest way to get going on the Lost Lake trails is normally to start from there. So after some scrutinizing of the maps, I managed to figure out that I would have to start with Dwarf Nebula.

So I took Molly Hogan to get down to the other end of the trails, then came back along the fire roads to get to the Dwarf Nebula trailhead. I'm definitely handling blue trails better, but they're by no means routine yet. I did Dwarf Nebula, Zoot Allures, Toads of the Short Forest, got lost, continued with Gee I Like Your Pants, Son of Mr. Green Genes, and Jellyroll Gumdrop. The part about getting lost was because right about where Toads connects to Zappa, there was a mountain biking class. Or maybe two classes. Lotta bikes, anyway, and all milling around at the top of the rock roll. I couldn't figure out where the trail continued, so I guessed. And guessed wrong, of course. I ended up going down a rock roll that was WAY steeper than I was prepared for. I handled it, but my life was flashing before my eyes for a few moments there.

I fooled with Trailforks for a few minutes, but it was acting funny--it kept insisting that I was facing a quarter turn left, and I'm pretty sure it was a hundred yards or so off-base. Weird. But eventually I walked the bike back up to the top of the rock roll, and found the rest of the right trail.

I think I did about half of the ladders that I came upon, today. I also dropped my back wheel off of one when I cut a corner. That actually turned out to be kind of a good thing as it was really a non-event, so made me feel better about them. My big concern, I think, is keeping up my speed on the flat or uphill ladders. If I stop, I can't get going again.

One other thing happened that was noteworthy. As I was peddling slowly along one of the fire roads, I saw movement to my left. I turned my head to see a brown bear contentedly munching on some berries on a bush, not even twenty feet from me. The bear ignored me, and I tried to return the favor.

I finally found the rock roll that we practiced on at last year's Trek bike school. It's on Jellyroll Gumdrop. I remember being terrified by that thing. Now, if I hadn't specifically been looking for it, it would barely have registered. Funny how things change.

But the exercise is real. The course, even the abbreviated one with the closures, is a lot of work. I'm looking forward to the time when I can start at Passivhaus and go all the way through to the end.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #453
Another Ride Through Bert Flinn

Like the title says. I did everything except Hett Creek, because I had limited time today. However, I did go up to the Bramblewood field and practice some techniques. Based on a comment on a youtube video, I tried one gear higher when doing wheelies, and it worked quite well. I managed six strokes before putting it down, a new high. Unfortunately I also came close to looping out a couple of times and freaked myself out to the point where I couldn't get the wheel off the ground any more. I have to practice using the rear brake to bring it down, just to prove to my hindbrain that I have control.

I also practice rear wheel lifts. Just the first attempts, no real huge results, but I did get the wheel off the ground. So with some manuals, I'm that much closer to bunny hops. But I have to stay in the habit of hitting the field before my rides. It would be nice to be able to do at least crappy bunny hops by the end of the season.

I rode Bert Flinn, as mentioned. My average speed is gradually increasing as I get more confidence on the blues. The only thing still making me dab is that one rise just before the jumps on Jo-Jo. It's not just the amount of speed needed going into it; it's also that I have to jog left at the apex to avoid that big root. It keeps throwing me off. But I'll get it. I've done it once or twice, so I know it's doable.

I've also mastered the pyramid ladder towards the end of Jo-Jo. Really not a big deal once you commit. My next goal is the small drop/jump just after that. For that one, I just need to evaluate the landing enough to feel confident. Right now I'm just blowing through the whole area, having worked up a head of steam.

The rock gardens and steeps just below the intersection of Jo-Jo and Starz is now also fairly routine, except for the first drop which needs a jog to the right to get through. Still dabbing that sometimes. But overall, I'm very happy with my riding. The ladder bridge and small skinny are routine now, although I'm sure I'm going to flub one or the other at some point, and that'll be a whole new mental block to overcome.

One other thing, I hit 203 today, which is a new low for weight. Very happy about that.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #454
The weather is finally cooperating

Of course, I've probably jinxed it by saying that, but it had to be said. We're finally getting some kind of actual summer, consisting of days in a row of sunshine. The mud wallows have turned into some kind of hard substance that looks like mud but doesn't go 'squish'. I'm going to call it 'dirt.' Naturally, there's a downside, because I wouldn't be me if I didn't have something to complain about. The humidity is still a bit up there, since there's a huge remaining water load that hasn't drained off yet. The forested trails are definitely cooler than being out in the sun (it hit 29 c yesterday), but it can be a bit sauna-like.

Nevertheless, I continue to get out every chance I can, and I continue to improve. I nailed that rise just before the jumps today. The trick seems to be to keep pedaling instead of letting up before the apex. I think that was the same lesson I had to learn for the log roll on Black Dog, come to think of it. Oh well.

I've also started hitting more of the skinnies on Jo-Jo. Not the long one yet, but I did the intermediate length skinny, and made it. I didn't do the drop toward the end of Jo-Jo today--had a poor run-up and decided to abort. I think I'm going to have to session that just to get used to it.

I took a look at the ladder roll that I keep going around (just where Jo-Jo intersects Starz), and honestly it doesn't seem as intimidating as I remember it. I visualized it as being a crank killer, but it isn't--not even close. I think I may try that after I get the drop squared away.

So the rest of this week is looking pretty good. Lots of biking in my future. Maybe not enough writing though. Hmph.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #455
Great Whistler Day

I did a morning ride in Whistler today, and it was great. I had to keep it short because we are getting a dishwasher delivered and I needed to be around during the delivery window, but that still allowed a 90 minute ride. So I started with Molly Hogan, as usual, then up Old Mill Road to hit some of my favorite trails. Whereupon I found, to my chagrin, that they have closed Son of Mr. Green Genes for tree felling and clearing. On the one hand, fauck, another trail closed? On the other hand, Green Genes is at the north end of the area that RMOW is clearing this spring/summer, so it feels like the last leg of the project.

Swallowing my disappointment, I slogged my way up to Dwarf Nebula, to do as much of the trail route as I could manage. And (drum roll, please) I cleaned that insane ladder bridge that's been scaring the pee out of me. That's the one that snakes around a rock outcropping, with a 4-8 foot drop on the left. In fact, I hit and cleaned every ladder today, except for one short one on Grand Wazoo that appeared out of nowhere at the top of a climb through a rock garden. I was just too tired, so I rolled the bike through it. I also had to session the first long one on Toads, but once I cleaned that one, there was no stopping me.

So let's be honest, ladder bridges still make me nervous, and will for a while. But it's practice, just like everything else.

The bridges on Toads are in some ways the hardest, since they're long, slightly uphill, and have rollers. But they're also the full 24" wide, which makes life a little easier. The bridges on Grand Wazoo are more level to downhill, with fewer rollers, but they're the 18" version, which is a little more nervous-making.

One thing that does worry me a little, though, is the EX 8. I am simply not as steady on the 8 as I am on the 7, and I bobbled a few sections on the former that I'm sure I would have cleared on the latter. That might simply be because I ride the 7 a lot more, but it might also have something to do with frame size or geometry. I'm not sure, but I'm going to investigate it. The 8 is certainly a better bike, component-wise, but I'm just not as comfortable on it so far.

One last thing. My Garmin glitched on me somehow today. It only started recording my route about halfway through the ride, about at the bottom of Hookender. No explanation forthcoming, although I suspect it wasn't able to lock into GPS until then. It's no huge deal, but annoying.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
Another Great Day

Also another short one, as the dishwasher was to be installed today (it was, although not without issues). But I still rode Toads through Green Genes. I managed to handle some of the rock areas that I dabbed on yesterday, while finding whole new areas to fail on. Again, it's just practice. Also, I forgot to mention on the previous blog entry that I did much better on the entry section of Grand Wazoo, which features several switchbacks combined with rocky sections. So practice is working.

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier is the number of mosquito bites I've picked up. I think I've been riding through literal clouds of them, and of course a certain number hitch a ride each time. My right shoulder has about a dozen separate bites, and my left has five. Benedryl is your friend, but it's still driving me nuts at night.

I may or may not be doing a ride today. It's ugly weather right now, although there's some indication that it's supposed to clear up.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #457
Stuff and Things

First item of news: The Garmin site has been down for a couple of days. Seems Garmin got hit by a ransomware attack, and they're rebuilding rather than paying the ransom. Well, good on them. But meanwhile, no one can upload their rides to Garmin or Strava. That's more a minor annoyance than the end of the world, but just the same, I'm annoyed. Minorly.

My ride today, back in Coquitlam, was through Bert Flinn. I did the full package, including Jo-Jo and Hett. Had some minor problems with some features, did well with others. For instance, I cleaned the pyramid just before Starz, but dabbed the drop beside that large ladder roll. I took the small drop near the end of Jo-Jo, but landed way too nose-heavy for my taste. Need to work on that. I fell off the mid-size skinny, but handled it. So I'm not really sure how to score the day. Survived, though, so maybe that's enough.

I took my EX 8 into Trek for service today. I get a free service with the new bike, so I figured I might as well get it all looked at. The tech pointed out that the nut holding the front wheel was loose and showed me how to tighten it (that seemed a little condescending, but I figured I should be polite until after I get the bike back). But now I'm wondering if that allowed some play in the front wheel which might be why the 8 feels a little less definite on tight turns.

On a different subject, sort of, I had an AH HAH moment today when coming back up to home. On the final couple of blocks, I always practice my skinny balancing by trying to stay within the expansion lines on driveways. All the driveways along our street have the lines molded into the sidewalk ramp, leaving a bunch of 'slats' maybe 4-6 inches wide. It makes for totally no-consequence practice on holding a line, and because it's uphill, it's just that much harder.

Anyway, I realized that the proper way to balance on a skinny is not to do small turn movements of the front wheel (as you normally do when riding), but to use small sideways movements of my center of mass, as you do when holding a trackstand. When I concentrated on keeping balance using the latter method, I was much more successful at holding a line. Noted for future practice.

Oh, and my wheelies--I think I'm going to have to take them off the field. The grass is definitely causing too much natural braking. I need less rolling resistance.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #458
Woo-hoo!

Lost Lake trails reopened–

Fuel thinning work along the western boundary of Lost Lake Park was completed July 25.

Wildfire fuel thinning within Lost Lake Park resumed April 30 and was completed July 25.
Thank you to the community for your patience with and respect for trail closures while fuel thinning work was completed in Spruce Grove and White Gold neighborhoods along the western boundary of Lost Lake Park.
Effective July 25, the following trails have reopened in Lost Lake Park:

• White Gold Traverse
  • Centennial Trail between PassivHaus and Spruce Grove
  • Tin Pants
  • Gypsy Drum
  • Peaches En Regalia
And about fucking time!

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #459 (Edited)
Best. Day. Evahhhh.

Or sure felt like it anyway. Up in Whistler, and I went out early (around 9am) to the Lost Lake trails to check out all the reopened stuff. Went up Tin Pants, found Dinah Moe Hum, Took a wrong turn and ended up on Gypsy Drum, Went down Peaches En Regalia, then had to go back up Peaches because that's where White Gold Traverse is. Did that, then hit my usuals: Dwarf Nebula, Toads, Green Genes, Like Your Pants, Jellyroll, etc. I handled all the ladder bridges, and I'm starting to get less terrified of them. I even did the Dwarf Nebula nightmare bridge with something almost approaching casualness.

It wasn't busy, but it wasn't deserted either. There were enough other people to make things interesting without it becoming a rage-inducing mob scene. It turns out that I'm not the best, but not the worst -- somewhere in the middle, and probably able to more or less keep up with other people on most trails. Given that it's only my second season and I'm old as fuck, I'll take it as a win.

One place that I do have an advantage is in low-gear powering over obstacles. The instructor at the Trek lesson last year commented on it, and I keep improving. Today, I overheard a group instructor at the entrance to Dwarf Nebula using me as an example (a good one) on how to power through the rough crap. That felt damned good.

I brought along my Insta360 One R and mounted it on the handlebar. I took videos until the battery finally gave up, which was about an hour, so pretty happy about that. I have a spare battery on order, and that'll help, but it occurs to me that I could also put my power bank in my top-tube carrier and use it to power the camera for an entire day. Hmm...

Anyway, it's recharging right now, and I'll have a look at what I got later.

ETA:

The 1R does a nice job, although the last video had some kind of goop on the lens (probably tree sap or something). That's one of those things that can ruin a whole session's worth of vids, so the lesson is to check the lens often.

One thing that bothers me a bit is that, since I mount the camera about halfway up one handlebar, the POV ends up a little off-center. It's not a killer, but it is annoying. I'm going to look into some kind of stem mount or something similar that will center the camera. I'm also going to consider bringing the power bank along tomorrow to do exactly what I said above.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #460
More of Same

Yeah, another great day. Today I tried out The Torture Never Stops, which dumps into Disco Boy, then rode Donkey Puncher. I realized today that I've been conflating Donkey Puncher with Molly Hogan in my memory, since they have very similar flow. But Donkey Puncher is much shorter, and a little trickier, with trail segments that fall off into a side ditch and some pretty tight turns. Was fun, though.

I tried Peaches again, and got lost again. I'm really going to have to make a point of memorizing that trail, because I keep ending up down Gypsy Drum. I realized though, while riding Peaches, that the fuel thinning project has really taken a lot of the magic out of the west trails. Instead of winding through forest, they're winding through a thin copse of trees. You can see all the trails, you can see other riders... it's like the homogenized version of mountain biking.

Anyway, I saved Fountain of Love and Pinocchio's Furniture for next time. Those are probably about the hardest blues in the Lost Lake area, based on youtube videos anyway. Lots and lots of ladder bridges, and Fountain has a very large rock dome--which I think may actually be the slab that we practiced on at the Trek lesson day. Jellyroll just doesn't seem intimidating enough to have been what we rode.

I'm continuing to use my insta360 camera on my runs, and I'm learning some processes to make things easier. But the elephant in the room, so to speak, is still the question of how I get the raw footy to the desktop app. I tried using the camera as a mountable HD today, and no joy. I may end up having to pop the memory card and directly read it. What a PITA. Maybe I'll contact tech support. Because tech support is always very supportive, right? :LOL:

Meanwhile, I've gotten down to 202.2 lbs, which I don't think I've seen since 2015. Happy times.

441 - 460 of 460 Posts