Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
541 - 560 of 594 Posts

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #541 ·
Yech! Definitely not as good a day as the previous two. I mentioned in the last post that things were getting polished yesterday. That unfortunately was a prelude to hardpack verging on icy conditions today. No new snow, and I think there was at least one thaw/freeze cycle, so not great snow. In addition, being a Friday, the crowds were thicker to begin with and just got worse over the course of the morning. Even Lodge chair turned into a 10-minute wait just to get on. Hell, even the magic carpet had a backlog, so I couldn't even do park laps.

Oh, and Lodge was also dead this morning when I came down from Unicorn on first run.

One funny tidbit--I rode up first chair with the same guy I rode up first chair with the other day. Apparently we have similar habits. :)

I picked up the old Heritage from the shop this morning, and I also brought up the new Heritage and the PYL today. Interestingly, riding the two Heritages one after the other, I was able to notice that they ride very similarly. Even though I had Union Forces on one and Flow NX2s on the other, the boards' characteristics dominated.

And not in a good way. Sigh. I know the old Heritage was my go-to board for years, but after a year or two of predominantly camber-dominant boards, going back to the aggressive rocker on the Heritage was just a bridge too far. It felt like riding a small canoe. There was a perceptible lag between when I'd leave one edge and when the other edge would engage, and I found that extremely disquieting. The Heritages do track well when you are on edge, and do a good carve. But it's extra effort to get to that point, and I didn't like it. Sadly, both Heritages are going to be on the chopping block. That will leave me with the PYL, the Proto, and the Speed Freak in Coquitlam--so a downhill board, a park board, and a maneuverable generalist board.

In Whistler, should I ever get a chance to go there, I have the Blur and the EJack. I might swap the Blur and the Speed Freak if it seems appropriate.

·
6,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #543 ·
Some stuff

I do love living around here. Thursday I went boarding on Cypress, today I went mountain-biking, and tomorrow I'm going boarding on Seymour.

The Thursday session was with the new Rome Speed Freak. As mentioned above, I did a review. I'm not sure yet if I really like the board. I'll take it up to Seymour tomorrow and try it some more. If it goes like the Blur, I'll end up liking it once I get used to it, but I'm a little concerned that it might be just too stiff for my tastes. Well, more news as it comes.

As I mentioned in the review, I had some really nice runs with the SF, but once I got tired and off my game, it kind of went to hell. If I'd brought a second board on Thurday, maybe switching would have been a good idea. That's the plan for Seymour tomorrow, though. Bringing up the SF and the PYL. It's supposed to be cold, and possibly snowing lightly. I just hope it isn't concrete.

Meanwhile, I took the EX8 out today for my first MTB rip of the year. It wasn't much of a rip, actually. I've gained about 7 lbs and 2 inches back from last fall--not surprising, really. I haven't been snowboarding anywhere near as much as I was hoping to.

It was cold today, and the trail were muddy. However, I wore my merino base layers and that works really well. Something to note for the future. I think I'm going to try to do some kind of exercise every day, whether it's mountain-biking or boarding or just using the treadmill. But something.

Covid continues to be an issue at the forefront of everything. Whistler has gotten something like 500+ cases in January, and everyone's freaking out, and justifiably so. We've got 2 confirmed cases in our condo complex, so we're putting Whistler trips on hiatus for 2 weeks minimum. We'll see after that. But even if we do start going again, I'll be wearing a double-layer of masks in the line-ups. Actually, I'll be doing that locally as well. This is not the time for fooling around.

So far, 2021 isn't going much better than 2020, except for the change of administration in the USA.

·
6,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #544 ·
Seymour with the Speed Freak

Weird day today. First, it was snowing when I left home. And completely unexpected, as it turns out. The news was calling it a 'freak storm', all the more freaky because it only hit the tri-cities. Seriously, halfway along the Barnet, there was nothing. But of course every single commuter route from the valley goes through the tri-cities, so the commute this morning was a disaster.

Interestingly, that seems to have helped with the locals. It was almost deserted on Seymour this morning. Never had to wait more than 5 minutes in the line. Snow was good, if a little hard, and it kept trying to snow. Unfortunately a fog rolled in mid-morning--one of those pea-soup types where you end up sideslipping down the run because you can't see a frickin' thing. Seriously, I eventually had to give up even doing jumps because when I hit the tranny I still couldn't see the lip. That's just a little too much hail-Mary for me.

Anyway, as mentioned, I brought up the SF and the PYL. Started the day on the SF and never switched. As I kind of half-expected, once I got used to the characteristics of the board, I found I quite like it. Torsional low-speed turns and skating turns take a little more care and concentration, but that comes quickly. I took the board down Mystery several times and found myself going faster and faster each run. The board is confidence-inspiring because of the stability at speed. And I was even feeling the heelsides today. It's just possible I've been going too low, given my insipid board angles.

I also did the Mushroom Park jump line a half-dozen or so times. What really made it memorable, though, is that I finally got over my approach-fear and hit the second jump at the proper speed. Multiple times. There's no better feeling than landing in the sweet spot on the slope and just kind of settling in, rather than the BAM of a near-knuckle. I say second jump because it was basically not possible to get enough approach speed for the first jump, even straight-lining it. Oh, well, still not a loss.

Had a lot of fun, left about noon due to fog.

·
6,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #545 · (Edited)
Second day on Seymour

Went up again today. It was colder than yesterday, not much more crowded, but far, far less foggy. Actually, no fog at all. Clouds and sun. It was, in other words, an almost perfect day.

I brought just the SF, figuring I'd spend the day on it and really give it a workout. And I have to say, I've now fallen in love with the board, and I think it'll be my primary pick for riding the locals.

I started out the day a little shaky, and ended up doing a lot of speed-checking on my first run down Unicorn. But by mid-day I was straight-lining a good portion of the run, and in fact passed a couple of people who were just too slow. The SF really rockets, too. My carves are better, even my heelsides ;), and I'm getting a lot more comfortable with the low-speed maneuvering as well. The only issue I've noticed is that on short, quick carves, I'm a lot slower coming off my heelside. In other words, I hold the heelside much longer than the toeside curve. Just practice, though.

So on reflection, I think there are three types of boards. 1) The ones you don't like, 2) the ones you like right away, and 3) the ones you grow to like. The EJack was a type 2 board. I knew by halfway down the first run that I'd be buying the board. The Blur and the SF are type 3s. Wasn't quite sure about them at first, but they both grew on me.

I used the squishy plastic support pad that I bought for my Morton's Neuroma foot pain today. Yeah, the correct one this time. And it works. It doesn't completely get rid of the pain, but what used to be agonizing after two hours is now mildly uncomfortable after three. I'll take it.

Oh, and a funny aside--I machine-washed and dried my Seymour pass yesterday (forgot to take it out of the sleeve pocket), so it's a bit warped. Works on the gates, though. I also discovered that it fits quite nicely into the hand-warmer pocket on the back of my Dakine gloves. You can't get any more convenient than that. Now my Dakines have gone from meh to favorites. I'll have to check if my gloves in Whistler have pockets.

And lastly, I ended up on first chair with the same guy for the fourth time. Apparently he likes to get up there early too.

·
6,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #546 · (Edited)
I went snowboarding yesterday (Thursday). It was a coin flip between Seymour and Cypress. Sadly, I chose Cypress. Sorry, but for all that Cypress has more and bigger runs than Seymour, it's just not enjoyable riding there, for these reasons: 1) The snow tends to be more hard-packed and/or icy on any equivalent day, and 2) It gets trashed really quickly, because 3) It's far busier on any equivalent day. Now I'll grant that #3 might be at least partly due to the pandemic. I do remember weekdays on Cypress in previous years where the line-up was a minute or two at most. So I can't permanently write it off. But for this year, I think I'm done with Cypress except for extraordinary situations.

Ironically, today is just such a situation. If I'd gone to Seymour yesterday, I'd be going to Cypress today. But I can't go to Seymour today, because for some reason they've deemed today to be part of the Family Day long weekend, and they've implemented their four-hour reservation system. Now, whether that's justified in terms of people having the day off or not, I don't know. I'll be watching the cameras today. But if it is, of course, Cypress would a zoo as well. So maybe staying home and getting some work done is the best choice overall.

Now, about yesterday's session...

I start the day, first run, going down Collins behind some guy who was definitely better than me. Good carves, good lines, good form. And although I'm pretty sure my carves were not as good, I kept up with him until he started eurocarving, then I passed him. Felt pretty good about that, but it does raise the issue of my carves. I think my toesides draw a pretty nice pencil line, but I'm almost certain my heelsides are still scarves. I'm definitely not as stable, and I've stuttered out several times. I need to either get the camera and pole out, or get a private lesson, or both. Maybe I should be talking to Cypress about that, since they do two-hour lessons, unlike Whistler. Something to think about.

My biggest problem right now though is fear. When I get onto a sketchy steep section, my form goes to hell, and I know I can handle those conditions, because I have in the past. As usual, it's a case of desensitization. What I really need to do is pick a run that freaks me out and just do that run again and again and again until I get bored. Then pick another one.

On Cypress, Raven Chair is the place to go, now that it's more or less fully open.

Notes for the future.

·
6,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #547 ·
Rode MTB yesterday, went up Seymour today. I do love the Lower Mainland. MTBing was kind of meh, though. Still a lot of frost heaves, mud wallows here and there. Right now it's more about the exercise than the fun.

Seymour today was excellent, though. For some reason, it was not busy, even at peak time. And it snowed all morning. I finally left about 1pm when it started to fog up, but I got a lot of runs in before that.

The Speed Freak is now my goto board to the point where I think I'm going to bring it up to Whistler next time I go up. Early issues with the stiffness are gone, although it still isn't as nimble in tight spaces. I am also no longer chattering on heelsides. That may be partly the board, but I think it's also partly getting a chance to work on my form. And I need to take this opportunity to reiterate that nothing beats time on the mountain for getting better, and longer sessions are better than shorter sessions (as long as you quit before you fall over).

I am now rocketing down Unicorn in a way I don't think I've ever managed in previous years. Actually, all the way down from the top of Mystery chair to the bottom of Lodge.

Great days.

·
6,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #548 ·
First of Three

First day of three in Whistler. Only traces of new snow overnight, but there's been dribs and drabs over the last week, so it's not re-processed ice. And Whistler's version of "hardpacked" is laughably soft compared to the concrete substitute they offer as snow in the Lower Mainland. This is just a long-winded way of saying the conditions weren't bad at all.

And even more important, it was dead. The entire morning, I don't think I waited more than 2 minutes in a line-up. Except the gondola, and even that was maybe 5.

I brought the EJack, knowing that I was going to be riding on old snow. That board never disappoints. It digs through everything. And interestingly, my carving has improved greatly since the last time I used it. I guess all the practice with the Freak and the Blur is making me more aware of things. The biggest changes I've made in my heelside form are the degree of squat, and shifting my weight a little farther back. On some turns, I also drive the board into the snow through the turn and that seems to improve my edging even more. I glanced down at my board a couple of times during heelsides today, and I'm definitely getting the board up on edge. It's not just in my mind any more.

One other small item I noticed later in the session, when I was getting tired and starting to get sloppy: One of my issues of form is a tendency to transfer from heelside to toeside slowly. Almost as I'm doing it in two steps. This only happens when I'm getting tired (I think), and I believe it's the reason why I start to have problems on steeps. If I transfer too slowly, the toeside edge doesn't dig in right away, and I go into a downhill slide that is very difficult to recover from. Something to be aware of, I guess.

Today was friggin' cold first thing in the morning, although it did warm up later. But I started the day putting on a mid-layer and that weird Burton neck-muff that I bought a while back. I always felt like it was too big to wear, but interestingly it is really good for keeping my body warmth from leaving through my neck. I think it's going to be part of my new routine on cold days.

I did some moguls and I did some side hits today--and did okay on both--but I spent most of my day working on my downhilling. And I'm definitely getting more comfortable with speed and steeps. I'm ahead of last year, but not by as much as I'd like. Ideally, I'd like to get back to this level by the end of December in any given season. I think for that to happen, I'm going to have to go more often early in the season, and stay up longer in each session.

·
6,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #549 ·
Two and three

Not a lot of specifics to report on for days two and three. Day two had a bunch of snow overnight (8" or so) and it snowed all morning. That was a fun time.

Day three had no new snow, but it was a Friday, which is apparently always busy no matter what. Frenzied Friday, I started calling it. I also quit after four runs.

What's really memorable about both days, though, is that I've got my turns under control. Mostly. I still lose the plot occasionally, but I know immediately when I'm doing it. I can feel it when I start transitioning too slowly from heelside to toeside; I can feel it when I start turning too sharply on heelside or staying too long on heelside; I can feel it when I start standing too tall on toesides and not digging in my edge. And I'm getting far more comfortable with speed.

So even with the truncated day on Friday, it was an awesome three days.

·
6,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #550 ·
I'm up in Whistler again for another three-day session. And once again, hardpack.

Let's review, shall we? Last week, snowed until the day before I came up. Did not snow while I was there. Started snowing THE AFTERNOON OF THE DAY THAT I LEFT. Didn't stop snowing until the day before I came back up. Hasn't snowed while I'm up here, and isn't predicted to. BUT, it is predicted to snow by this weekend.

What the actual fuck?

Well, snow-grousing aside, it hasn't been terrible. I mean, it could be ice at the end of a freeze/thaw cycle, or it could be foggy, or gale-force winds, or so cold that gasses start to condense out of the air. So there's that.

In any case, my session on Monday was pretty long because there was still untouched stuff lying around, and there was still quite a bit of soft stuff on the mogul fields. Made for an interesting morning. Today, not so much. Everyone else who has been looking for the loose snow same as me has ground it into the hardpack. Same as me, I guess. So today was really just hardpacked, groomed runs. On the other hand, I'm getting lots of high-speed carving practice, so again, there's that.

And speaking of, my stats on the Slopes app have been skewing weirdly. Even though the line-ups have been moderate to non-existent, my riding/lifts ratio has been getting smaller and smaller. I finally figured it out today. I'm going down the runs a lot faster as my carving gets better and I desensitize to speed. And since I can't make the lifts run any faster no matter how hard I frown, the ratio goes down. Simple math. And a good sign, paradoxically.

I talked to a staffer today who informed me that there are park features set up on Blackcomb, something I'd been wondering about but hadn't bothered to check. I may do that tomorrow morning, just to be different.

·
6,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #551 ·
I knew today would be a short session, just an hour or two, so I decided to make it a journey of exploration on Blackcomb. In particular, I wanted to find out if they had any park setups.

So the first thing I found out is that I should start from Blackcomb base, not Whistler Village. The Excalibur took me in the wrong direction, and it took a couple of rides to get where I wanted. Of course, when I got there, I discovered that there were some jumps, but the jump line was closed for maintenance. 🤬 Not that it mattered--I wasn't going to try anything on that crust.

And crust it was. If I had forgotten why I don't like Blackcomb, this morning reminded me. First, poor visibility is far, far more of a problem on Blackcomb. I'm not sure why that should be, but fog is almost a certainty on at least some parts of the mountain, on all but the sunniest of days. And like Franz's, for some reason the snow is always icier on Blackcomb for any given conditions. All in all, I think I should stay away from Blackcomb except during spring conditions or when it's cold and snowing so that fog is unlikely. I've been on Blackcomb when conditions were great, so I know it's possible.

Oh, and I checked out the Magic Chair beginner's run on the way down... just as icy as the rest of the mountain. Not even close to good conditions for learning switch.

All in all, a total waste of time except for the learned my lesson part.

·
6,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #552 ·
Mountain Biking

Yeah. Early March, and I'm mountain biking. Just finished two in a row, and I'll be going tomorrow as well. It's not quite t-shirt weather in that I wear an extra layer, but c'mon. And I've started right up where I left off last fall, skill-wise. A little wobbly here and there, but that'll pass.

Oh, and I put a deposit on a Trek Fuel EX 9.8 XT. God, I'm a gear whore. The sports shortage this year being what it is though, I may not get it before summer.

·
6,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #553 ·
BEST. DAY. EVER.

Yeah, I say that too often. And yet, not often enough. Whistler today had a largely unexpected snow dump. The snow-forecast website had predicted some new, but nothing like what we got. And it all came late night/early morning, so webcam-watchers were taken by surprise as well. I happened to be scheduled to come anyway, so I was at the base at 7:30 am, which on a snow day would normally put me in the next postal code but today put me in the gondola maze. I got in a good 3-4 runs before the line-ups started getting busy. By 11am, though, it was reaching the level of silly.

But while it lasted, wow. I brought up the Blur, which is certainly a better pow board than the EJack. I found some 1-2 foot deep stashes, although most of the stuff around the piste was in the 8-12" range. Still, wow. And I ripped! I am now officially happy with my advancement this season. Still some stuff to work on of course, but when you run out of room to improve it's probably time to hang it up.

No particular wipe-outs or craziness with other users to report, either. And the biking I've done the last week seems to have made a difference to my endurance. I really wasn't anywhere near as tired when I finally quit, and freshie days tend to be harder on the back leg. So another plus.

Great day, all in all.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
BEST. DAY. EVER.

Yeah, I say that too often. And yet, not often enough. Whistler today had a largely unexpected snow dump. The snow-forecast website had predicted some new, but nothing like what we got. And it all came late night/early morning, so webcam-watchers were taken by surprise as well. I happened to be scheduled to come anyway, so I was at the base at 7:30 am, which on a snow day would normally put me in the next postal code but today put me in the gondola maze. I got in a good 3-4 runs before the line-ups started getting busy. By 11am, though, it was reaching the level of silly.

But while it lasted, wow. I brought up the Blur, which is certainly a better pow board than the EJack. I found some 1-2 foot deep stashes, although most of the stuff around the piste was in the 8-12" range. Still, wow. And I ripped! I am now officially happy with my advancement this season. Still some stuff to work on of course, but when you run out of room to improve it's probably time to hang it up.

No particular wipe-outs or craziness with other users to report, either. And the biking I've done the last week seems to have made a difference to my endurance. I really wasn't anywhere near as tired when I finally quit, and freshie days tend to be harder on the back leg. So another plus.

Great day, all in all.
Fuck yeah! Hoping for similar fire me tomorrow!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
6,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #555 ·
Of Things, Stuff, and Other Matters

First, news: We just got our offer accepted on the Blueberry property. Moving up! Two bedrooms, and my stuff not all over the dining room table. Woot!

I broke 40 days some time in the last week or so. Last Friday was day 41. So anything from here on in is absolute bonus. Most mountains will close down by mid-April, including Whistler, but Blackcomb is scheduled to be open until May 24. I don't know how much I'll take advantage of that, but I really should try it at least once.

Seymour is on spring-break hours for most of the second half of March, which means their moronic 4-hour reservation system is active. I've seen announcements from them that imply that this is a permanent thing. If so, I'll have to seriously think about whether I even want to bother with them next year. I barely went a half-dozen times (just checked--the actual number is 10), and they weren't life-defining. Wife and daughter haven't gone at all. I really don't see the point, especially if I'm going to be spending more and more time at Whistler. I might be good with the Cypress and Whistler passes and leave it at that.

It's maybe a little early, but I feel the need to do a little navel-gazing about my season so far. First, my days were too short. I'm still quitting by about noon or so, and I shouldn't need to. So more biking this summer means better fitness for snowboarding season next year. Plus I get to do more biking, so win-win. Second, I did no park this year, for the very simple reason that Whistler didn't set up anything in the Family Bowl this year. I did a couple of sessions on Seymour and Cypress, but nothing concerted, so Ima call that a no-show.

I also did next to nothing on techniques, specifically ollies and penguin-walking. FFS, all it would take is a half-hour once in a while, but no... I see the big white downhill in front of me and it's like a dog seeing a squirrel. Oh, well. Still fun.

But my snowboarding technique is a huge win for the season. Finally, finally, finally, I have toesides and heelsides both under control with proper technique. I can do long sweeping carves or short over-unders, or tight scarves for icy conditions. I've got moguls nailed, at least up to intermediate size. The mountainous, steep ones still freak me out, but that's just practice. I can handle deep freshies (I still remember my first experience with embarrassment), and I can handle chopped-up conditions now. I can even straight-line with reasonable confidence, although depending on snow conditions I might not actually flat-base. So all-in-all, a very gratifying season.

Next year, thanks to the new place we'll be able to stay in Whistler for longer periods of time, which means less wasted days going back and forth. Which means more session days, which has no downside except the hit on the Advil inventory.

And I'm seriously eyeing a Stranda Cheater for next season, especially for those freshies days. The Blur is better than the EJack for deep new stuff, but it's still not ideal. I need something with a lot of nose, and the Stranda looks about perfect. Or perhaps the Shorty Blk. Hmmm.

·
6,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #556 ·
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

They've just closed down Whistler Blackcomb--'they' being the BC government. COVID cases have spiked and they've decided it's time to put the brakes on. So, hello, last year. The mountain will be closed until April 18 or 19, which is past Whistler's original expected closing date, so a reopening is unlikely. Blackcomb was going to be open until May 24, but I don't see them reopening in mid-April. By then the staff will have all left.

So I may or may not get a chance to do a little more snowboarding on the locals, but failing that, the season is done.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

They've just closed down Whistler Blackcomb--'they' being the BC government. COVID cases have spiked and they've decided it's time to put the brakes on. So, hello, last year. The mountain will be closed until April 18 or 19, which is past Whistler's original expected closing date, so a reopening is unlikely. Blackcomb was going to be open until May 24, but I don't see them reopening in mid-April. By then the staff will have all left.

So I may or may not get a chance to do a little more snowboarding on the locals, but failing that, the season is done.
Do you have a split?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
6,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #559 ·
End of Season Recap

I might as well get this out of the way since it looks like the season is effectively over. Oh, I might get a couple of days in on the locals, but they won't amount to much.

So here's my goals for this season as written up last fall, and how I actually did.

First, general technique items:
  • On toesides, I need to make sure my form is good. Hump the air, keep horizon level, keep weight centered.
    NAILED
  • On heelsides, don’t kick into a braking maneuver. Try to make my heelside turns symmetrical with my toesides. Squat and bend the knees to save the quads.
    NAILED
  • At speed, fight the slope less. No cross-slope turns more than 45 degrees. If I need to slow, do a slash-brake.
    NAILED
  • Fast S-turns on moderate slopes, C-turns on steeper slopes as necessary. Bombing steep sections is about strategy.
    NAILED
  • Do turns from the hip, not the shoulders. Keep the lead hand slightly heelside of center.
    NAILED
  • Modify my expectations to match the conditions. Going slow in fog and icy conditions is not failure.
    Meh. I realize it intellectually now, but still not feeling it.
  • On moguls, work on keeping weight forward. Leaning back is doom. Try to carve the sides of the moguls instead of following the troughs. Try to use windshield-wiper turns to scrub speed. Plan my path instead of just blindly charging in.
    Not quite nailed, but way the hell better this year.
Strategy items:
  • Decide when to hit the mountain. In icy conditions, going up first thing is pointless and not really enjoyable anyway.
    Easy to say until the mountain calls.
  • Vary my location. Don’t hit family bowl all the time. Make a list of runs on the mountain, and hit at least one new one every session.
    Nope. Not even close.
  • Don’t quit after two hours, no matter how tired I am. Change locale, or work on small techniques, or take a break.
    Moderate success, but still lots of room for improvement.
  • Try to follow other snowboarders that seem a little faster than me. This forces me outside my comfort zone.
    I did this a couple of times and was pleased with the results. Do more often next year.
  • Ride bumpy terrain and side-hits whenever possible. In and out of the trees. Getting used to being tossed around is excellent for improving balance.
    I didn't do this as much as I could or as early as I should. Start right at beginning of season next year.
  • Explore a little. Some of the stuff we visited on my lessons are runs I'd probably never find on my own normally.
    Didn't do any of this. Try again next season.
Specific techniques:
  • Practice things like penguin walk, ollies, nose rolls, nose and tail manuals. Maybe even ground-spins.
    Nope.
  • Practice switch. A lot. I should pick a slope and practice going down the entire way switch. Up the ante once I’m successful.
    I made a couple of half-hearted attempts. Really need to get this done.
  • Do the jump line early. It only takes 3-4 times through it to start to get the rhythm, and once I’m comfortable, I will hit it regularly. Wear armour those days if desired to make it a little easier.
    Sadly, Whistler didn't build a park in the Family Bowl at all this year. The one time I went over to Blackcomb, I found the park closed.
Other plans:
  • Use the Insta360. Getting vids of my technique is incredibly valuable.
    I made one or two attempts, but nothing concerted.
  • Desensitize myself to speed early. It makes a huge difference to my riding once I start bombing without chickening out. Don’t wait for it to just “come naturally” this year.
    I wasn't as focused on this as I should have been, so it took most of the season to get there. Next year, be more focused.
  • Get low, and keep legs loose. I always start the year with stiff, straight legs. Get over that. Following undulating terrain requires loose legs, bent knees.
    NAILED
  • Try to move up slightly in park features. Larger jumps, boxes, maybe a pipe.
    Nope. See above note.
  • Try to wear armour whenever possible. It makes a difference to my confidence. And with the weight I’ve managed to shed this year, I should be able to do it without feeling bulky.
    No park, no point.
  • Watch some snowboarding videos as obsessively as I’ve been watching MTB videos. Try out the techniques presented therein.
    Nope.

So there it is. There's a lot of 'NAILED' showing, which feels very, very good. The stuff that was more 'meh' had mostly to do with my concentration, focus, and resolve. I think the root problem is that the whole season felt like it was borrowed time, as if it could end any second and I had to get in all the boarding possible while the getting was good. Next season, I think the biggest thing I can do for my riding is to be organized in terms of when and how often I go up. If I know I have so many days guaranteed, maybe I'll feel more like I have the luxury to take on some of those learning projects.

Having the new place will help. Being able to take the whole family up without us being on top of each other will make it far easier to get up to Whistler for a week at a time. But more than that, I have to establish a schedule and stick to it. No more winging it.

I've purged all my equipment down to the boards and bindings that I like best and use the most. About the only thing I might want to investigate is the question of gloves, either heated ones or ones with the zipper pocket on the back of the hand for heat packs. Other than that, I'm completely gear-whored-out.

So now I have a season of mountain biking to enjoy and to use to get in shape for next snowboarding season. Bring it on.

·
6,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #560 ·
Just took the ski rack off the car. I haz a sad.

But, let's face it, we're going to be way the hell too busy over the next couple of weeks with the new place for me to have any hope of getting up the locals. Might as well just call it, and hit the bike trails whenever possible.

For the record, the Whistler Lost Lake trails aren't quite ready for mountain biking.

541 - 560 of 594 Posts