Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

561 - 565 of 565 Posts

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #561 ·
Weather changes fast in Coquitlam. Last week, we had snow. Today, shirt-sleeve-and-shorts weather. I went for a ride in Bert Flinn and actually felt too hot in my long-sleeve jersey. Also felt exhausted, since I seem to be unable to grok the simple concept of working back into it.

Good session, though. Did everything except the small jump at the bottom of Jo-jo. I even did the rooty section at the bridge that normally freaks me out. Walking it a few times helped. I think I have the proper line nailed now.

All the locals are closed now, I think (haven't actually heard from Grouse). The COVID variants just have people too freaked out. I think it's just as well. I'm good with moving on to the summer sports.

I did my end-of-season navel-gazing a couple of posts up, so no need to revisit that. But I will say that I turned some kind of corner this year. I seemed to be stagnating for a while, but I've broken through that plateau, mainly due to working out technique issues that were holding me back. Next year, I'll be challenging myself on harder runs and higher speeds, as well as rougher terrain including moguls.

Meanwhile, for the MTB season, other than having gotten a bit out of shape I'm pretty much picking up where I left off. So I can look forward to some significant improvements this season. I've booked a Trek Dirt Series day for early summer, which will help significantly. And depending on how the pandemic thing goes in Whistler, I may take a day-lesson or two on downhilling. Granted it's not my preferred niche, but you still learn a lot of techniques on the downhill sessions that translate into cross-country biking.

And the new place is on the other side of the highway, which puts me closer to some of the trails that I haven't been bothering with because of distance. On the other hand, grizzlies tend to hang out more on the west side... grizzly encounter definitely no bueno. And pepper spray just adds spice.

Well, we'll see. It'll be an eventful summer one way or the other. I just hope it's one way and not the other, know what I mean?

·
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #562 ·
Definitely sad I didn't bring my bike to Whis. Mid-April is when you can start riding the valley trails.

On the other hand, I'm so sore by the end of the day from all the humping boxes around and cleaning, I'm not sure I'd be able to get my leg over my bike. 😢

Next time, we get professionals.

·
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #563 ·
Updates

Well, we're more or less moved into the new place, and we have an accepted offer on the old place (still a few subjects on it). So things are looking good from that point of view. In addition, my new bike has arrived at Trek. Not in time for me to pick it up, but that's okay. I have the EX 8 up here, so I'll probably go for a ride today if the weather doesn't go to shit.

And that's the bad news. We seem to be in a blech weather cycle right now. Basically a solid week forward of clouds and rain in both Whistler and Coquitlam. So no getting away from it.

Meanwhile, the snow is melting at a frightening rate on Blackcomb. I honestly don't see how Vail could have kept skiing open until May 24th. Of course this means that downhill biking could be ready to go soon, assuming they were allowed to open soon.

Shoulder season. Waiting for everything. Sigh.

·
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 · (Edited)

New bike. The gear whorage continues into the off-season.

I took it for its first ride today. It definitely feels lighter than the 8, and by more than the 2 pounds that the specs indicate. Weird. But it feels great. Good braking, solid shifting, and the suspension is really accommodating. I'm probably going to end up bringing it up to Whistler when the lock-down is over, but for now I can enjoy it in Coquitlam.

I've gotten in 13 days of riding now in 2021, which is pretty damned good. My riding is also already better than I ended with last season, so even damned better. Once the weather gets dependable enough, I hope to really make good progress this year. It'll help as well that the Lost Lake trails will be open all season.

·
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #565 · (Edited)
I've done two days of rides, Tuesday and today. Both really felt good. I'm still being a little careful, not attacking the hardest runs that I was doing last year. Right now, I'm still more worried about getting my conditioning back into condition. I am still a little short on wind, but I'm concentrating on stand-up pedalling, and so far it feels like I'm doing better than last year. I've also found myself doing short sprints where I wouldn't have before. All in all, very happy with how it's going.

I've got 16 rides in so far in 2021, compared to 19 by this point in 2020--which surprised me. But apparently I did a lot of cycling in April of 2020, compared to a handful last month. Probably to do with weather--this April was kind of crap. But from here on, I'm all in.

Today I added a lap on Starz in the Bert Flinn trails, so I ended up hitting the skinnies at the bottom of Jo-Jo twice. Aced them both, both times. I think the practice on driveway ramp strips going up Lansdowne is making a huge difference. I also charged through the root garden on Hett Creek. That feature might be about to become routine. The only things I'm still having trouble with are drops. There are two--one at the bottom of Jo-Jo, and one on the Starz run. I'm not sure why I'm hesitating, other than simple cowardice. But I should be able to do them--I did them last year, many times. I just need to break the ice.

561 - 565 of 565 Posts