Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
621 - 624 of 624 Posts

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #621 · (Edited)
Updates...

I think I've mentioned previously that Whistler has set a Nov 25th opening day. That looked optimistic at the time they announced it, but it's looking pretty realistic right now. Come to think of it, I think that happened last year as well.

And as I was checking the local webcams today, I discovered that Cypress is opening tomorrow, Friday Nov 19th. Only Easy Rider, but hell, it's something.

All the locals are getting snow as I type this. So is Whistler. It begins.

In other news, I received my Stranda Cheater. Nice board. I've installed the bindings in my normal duck stance, but I'll be adjusting the angles when I get the board on the mountain, to find my best +/+ stance.

I've also purchased a GoPro MAX. Nice camera. I'm looking at the GO 2 as well. It's only a 180 camera, but the ability to just clip it to your clothing is possibly a huge convenience. We'll see.

Oh, and the Whistler shops were not completely converted to winter goods, although they're well on their way. But supply issues continue to be a problem. I talked to a sales guy at Showcase about the Burton stock--looking for a Swash jacket--and he wasn't hopeful. I'll keep trying, though.

And last thing, both vehicles now have the ski racks installed. We are ready to go.

·
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #622 · (Edited)
Opening Day!

No, I'm not there. God, if there's one day to avoid, it's opening day. People are insane.

Watching the line-ups on the village cams, though. It's not as bad as Bike Park opening day by any stretch, but still way out of line for what's available. Granted it's snowing, but this isn't going to be any kind of a pow day. The snow is right down to village level, and in fact it's showing on the DriveBC highway cams. So the drive would be insane as well.

Still, next year I might just consider being in Whistler so I can do opening day, just to experience the insanity.

We've got another atmospheric river coming in over the next day or so, so it's not clear what the effect on the mountains will be. It'll be a lot of precip, of course, but snow or rain?

Edit: checked the cams a little later in the morning, and it's almost deserted. No line-ups at the bottom either. And it's snowing like stink. Argh!

·
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #623 ·
So as it turns out, going on opening day would have been great! It snowed pretty much all day, and the crowds overall weren't terrible. It's mandatory downloads still, so that limits what you can do. And most runs of most lifts are still closed, so even more so. But what is open would have been worth it.

Also, small update: the latest Pique email mentions in an article about the slopes that there will be park features this year. A little limited--XS and S on Whistler in the family bowl area, and everything bigger on Blackcomb in the Catskinner area. But hey, that works for me!

Meanwhile, the atmospheric river continues its steamroller approach. But the freezing level keeps bouncing around, so if it swings the right way at the right time, this could end up being a ginormous dump--even if it's wet crud, it'll still build the base and fill in the dips. Here's hoping.

·
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #624 ·
No such luck. The atmospheric river has just about rinsed Whistler clean. Even around the snow stake, there's a bit of ground showing now. We need a good foot of dump just to recover.

621 - 624 of 624 Posts