Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to find a board to pair with my yes jackpot so I can take it overseas to japan / canada / europe down the line.

something fairly friendly - the shortlist right now is:

Rome Ravine
United Shapes Explorer Pioneer
Nitro Squash / Dropout
anyone had any experience with the above?
or have other suggestions?

thanks guys

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Superpig/Warpig would work.

If you haven't already watched, then check these out:

cheers, I might check out the warpig - the superpig might not fit the laid back bill. This seasons Niche Hawthorn looks interesting too as it's described as a toned down Maelstrom

·
Registered
820 Posts
Your picks look fun. I've been eyeing the Ravine and the Dropout for awhile. Short fat party boards like the K2 Party Platter or Marhar Lumberjack might be a good time too.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
US Pioneer looks good.

Would maybe go for Slash from Nitro instead of Squash.

These shapes are good for anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This currently an awesome category in snowboarding with some super fun boards.

Out top picks for something that fits your bill are the Rome Ravine, Lago Open Road, K2 Instrument, Gnu Hyper Kyarve, Arbor Crosscut Rocker, and the DC HR. They are all fun to rip every day and do well in deep snow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
looking to find a board to pair with my yes jackpot so I can take it overseas to japan / canada / europe down the line.

thanks guys
I highly recommend the US pioneer. I own one great on groomers , great in pow ,friendly flex slam backs inserts. Great in the trees with the decent amount of taper. If I only can take one board on a trip I bring the pioneer.

I rode the squash at the beginning of the year at a demo the board rips too was great on the hard pack the day I rode it. It’s fairly stiff quick edge to edge. Should be great in pow as well with the long nose.

Can’t go wrong with either of those two great boards but I would go United Shapes as I find it a bit more nimble and its wider under foot for my size 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a US deep reach (big brother to the pioneer) and I second Canuck's comments about it. However, I would think for Japan you want more of a planing board in powder due to the lower angle you may want to consider a board with more surface area than pure taper & setback. Depending on your weight and local resort vs these overseas ones, consider sizing up for bigger lines and lower angle terrain float.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some great input in here, thanks all.

Am leaning heavily towards the ravine or pioneer. I like the look of both 2021 models.

The 2020 models are... questionable!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a US deep reach (big brother to the pioneer) and I second Canuck's comments about it. However, I would think for Japan you want more of a planing board in powder due to the lower angle you may want to consider a board with more surface area than pure taper & setback. Depending on your weight and local resort vs these overseas ones, consider sizing up for bigger lines and lower angle terrain float.
I don't see huge amounts of snow in Australia (at least compared to what I've seen overseas) and appreciate the insights on the United Shapes. How'd you go with sizing? I'm a size 9 boot and give or take 75kg and my preference is to ride between 155-159 on more traditional boards.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't see huge amounts of snow in Australia (at least compared to what I've seen overseas) and appreciate the insights on the United Shapes. How'd you go with sizing? I'm a size 9 boot and give or take 75kg and my preference is to ride between 155-159 on more traditional boards.
I'm also ~75kg before gear, with a 10.5 size burton imperial with union falcor mediums and I would consider my overhang barely acceptable in the back foot. Bindings are close to edge of topsheet, with toes and heel ~0.5inch over each way . I like wider boards for stability, carving, and control on steeps so that's narrow for me but I think others manage just fine with that overhang and their riding styles. I think the pioneer would have a similar if not slightly thinner backfoot area but you've got a noticeably smaller boot size so I think you'd be alright. If you want less EE then go for pioneer, but I don't think a deep reach will be too unwieldly. It's quite a playful board so I prefer more EE since I am more freeride focused.

·
Registered
18 Posts

thanks guys
Jones Storm Chaser, would be a good option.
Surfy, small, fat and great float.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all for the input. I keep coming back to the Rome Ravine and Nitro Dropout based on what I read, whilst leaning more towards the Ravine.

Anyone know if at 75kg a 155cm will hold up alright in Japow?

On a side note, anyone know how the Cap Mercury does in the deep stuff?

My ski season is falling apart...canned a trip in Victoria because of lack of snow this week, and I have a week in August in NSW where they've just shut the borders - hoping shit gets fixed by then.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I don't do any freestyle but the Rome Ravine was high on my shortlist for an easy riding soft-flexing board for use primarily in powder and carving on "the day after" pistes. In the end I decided that the shorter Ravine didn't really have the extra bit of width that I wanted so I went for the DC HR which has a super wide nose and is even softer flexing, especially torsionally.

Worth a look.

·
Registered
466 Posts
On a side note, anyone know how the Cap Mercury does in the deep stuff?
I have several boards that float better than the Mercury so I haven’t been riding it in a really deep stuff but up to 30 cm it was ok. Especially that I got it a bit downsized for more freestyle stuff.
I mean it’s a directional twin with no taper, minumum setback but that flat kink and a bit longer nose does help a bit not to submarine it.
So for a directional camber dominant twin it floats good but it’s not a board I take out when I plan to ride off piste most of the day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks all for the input.

My ski season is falling apart...canned a trip in Victoria because of lack of snow this week, and I have a week in August in NSW where they've just shut the borders - hoping shit gets fixed by then.
Do wide boards work for your for for size? I picked up a Yes Standard a year ago and have 25 days on it.. 12 in perisher last season and 13 in whistler last January. The "slam back" inserts made it really pow friendly in whistler doing drop ins up in the bowls (harmony area) and surfing the pow, but it's also very friendly on hard with the centred stance.

If the standard is too wide then picking something else with really far back binding options will make it a lot more powder friendly when you get the chance.

And yeah I'm watching this season carefully.. still hoping to get some snow time but it's looking less and less likely at the moment for 2020.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts