Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into a new bataleon, what are everybody's thoughts on tbt tech?? Also I'm 5'7" and about 130lb what wud b a good size board for park, ribbing, medium kickers?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't know your budget but.... Global Warmer? 151? I've been drooling after this board! Ended up buying a Westmark tho cos found one less than half the price than a GW. Still don't know if I made the right choice tho...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I like it.

It's really nice for carving because it is extremely quick edge-to-edge. Edgehold might be a little better than a standard board. Not as good as MTX, though. Really easy to butter, too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How soft would you consider a G.W? With a 151, would that be easy to spin around and butter easily, as I'm currently riding a 147

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes, the GW is definitely soft enough for butters and medium kickers. Some people don't like TBT for spins, tho. I think it's all a matter of habit and getting used to. TBT is great for park riding, especially jibbing and jumping is where it really shines.

edit: Get the Airobic if you're short on money.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
I couldn't stand it. It doesn't lock onto rails, slips out of everything, washes out on landings. Granted the edges were fully detuned.

Def try it first. It may suit your riding style better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I couldn't stand it. It doesn't lock onto rails, slips out of everything, washes out on landings. Granted the edges were fully detuned.

Def try it first. It may suit your riding style better.
Which model were you trying out or using?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also would the 151 be a right size for 5'7" 130lb or should I go with a 148, spend all of my time in the park jibbing and medium kickers around 35ft

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Which model were you trying out or using?
It was an Evil Twin. I rode it for a day and found it extremely difficult to do tricks, to the point that I wasn't sure if it was worth even riding anymore. You can really feel the edges disappear on you when you slide into the TBT zone. Say you're doing a back blunt 270 out, the room for error is extremely small. As soon as you get outside the binding it sends you into a wobble and you pretty much lose your wind up. I just found it extremely frustrating.

Maybe if I gave it some time it would grow on be, but coming from the Stairmaster I was on at the time, it was dramatically less stable.

·
Registered
947 Posts
It was an Evil Twin. I rode it for a day and found it extremely difficult to do tricks, to the point that I wasn't sure if it was worth even riding anymore. You can really feel the edges disappear on you when you slide into the TBT zone. Say you're doing a back blunt 270 out, the room for error is extremely small. As soon as you get outside the binding it sends you into a wobble and you pretty much lose your wind up. I just found it extremely frustrating.

Maybe if I gave it some time it would grow on be, but coming from the Stairmaster I was on at the time, it was dramatically less stable.

You HAVE to give time. But once your conformable on it, the dare level rises. People don't get that you need to get used to it first. Thats why reviews suck for tbt and shit. I didnt like it at first as well, but now i love it. So much fun. and so fast.

Once your down with tbt, you will be trying shit you never thought you would. i tried my first backflip this year on my lobster and i rode away clean, not sure how but it was the shit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Any opinions on the stairmaster? as I was looking into that to. Getting more technical in the park and want something for the next level as of now I'm doing like front 5's back 3's, addin some grabs to spins. Workin on frontside boards on rails and already have nice bs.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Any opinions on the stairmaster? as I was looking into that to. Getting more technical in the park and want something for the next level as of now I'm doing like front 5's back 3's, addin some grabs to spins. Workin on frontside boards on rails and already have nice bs.
I liked it. It's poppy out of the package. Has good rail flex (torsionally and longitudinally) so it locks in and presses well. The camber helps with jump stability. I had a lot of fun on it.

I'm 180lbs so after is started to break in it softened up and lost a lot of its pop. It's not a noodle but a little soft for my liking. It's certainly not Horrorscope soft.

It held up really well overall. No delaming. No cracks even at my wieght. Had it not lost its pop I'd def still be riding it as my full time park deck today.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
d
I liked it. It's poppy out of the package. Has good rail flex (torsionally and longitudinally) so it locks in and presses well. The camber helps with jump stability. I had a lot of fun on it.

I'm 180lbs so after is started to break in it softened up and lost a lot of its pop. It's not a noodle but a little soft for my liking. It's certainly not Horrorscope soft.

It held up really well overall. No delaming. No cracks even at my wieght. Had it not lost its pop I'd def still be riding it as my full time park deck today.
Cool, any other good park decks you would recommend?

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
d

Cool, any other good park decks you would recommend?
I'm on the 2014 Never Summer Evo right now. It's a pretty fun board. Leo has a preliminary review up on it right now. It's a bit soft for me but at 130 you'd probably love it. I let a friend ride it for a bit and he's 160 and he said it popped great, was stable on jumps. He offered me full retail for it when he was done riding it and from him that says a lot. I'm sure there are people who would recommend plenty of boards that are decent in the park.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the two boards in the bataleon line that I was looking at were the g.w and airobic, any thoughts on those?

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Well the two boards in the bataleon line that I was looking at were the g.w and airobic, any thoughts on those?
Can't really say. I've only had experience with the Evil Twin. There are alot of guys on this forum who have ridden TBT and have liked it. I'm sure if you search around there are a few threads with some good info.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can't really say. I've only had experience with the Evil Twin. There are alot of guys on this forum who have ridden TBT and have liked it. I'm sure if you search around there are a few threads with some good info.
Alright thanks for all your help extremo. But one last thing is that I'm not sure if I should look into a board around 150 or around 148 or there I'm in the jib park and want to be able to whip around spins fast but I need a board that will fit me next season to as I'm still growing, what would you recommend??
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
You can stay pretty small at you're weight. Flex, effective edge, and camber profile will determine what size you'll need in a particular board. Don't get too hung up on cm's. But if you're going to ride park you want to go as small as possible without sacrificing jump stability. At 130-140lbs you can stay in the 145-147 range comfortably on the right board.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Try a search. This topic has been covered a million times over the years. Some love it, some hate it. I owned practically every Bataleon in the line up until last year and enjoyed them for the most part, but like any other tech out there, it also has its drawbacks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts