Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, and could only find a roof rack thread on the yakima, anybody here use the Snowcat? Seems like a nice rack and I'm gonna have a ton of boards/skis to haul this upcoming season, a couple times a week.

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
Thule is a Swedish company that is very big over here in Europe, most people use boxes though as they are lockable and you cannot see what is in them...

Not too sure what availability you have over there, but something that hooks into the central locking is awesome as you don't need keys and can't forget to lock them...

The other advantage is the extras you can put in them, as they are watertight, and as the roads get slushy etc, you don't get dirty gear...

Not so sure if i would use the locks without it being a box for security reasons, i know they still lock, but everything is on show...

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I just bought the snowcat and so far it seems to be a legit rack. I was thinking about buying a box for my car but then realized that I would have to spend some money on a cross bars and then more money on the actual box.

The snowcat only cost me $200 since I have factory installed sidebars and doesn't require cross bars to be installed. Win!

It only holds up to 4 boards. I think it can hold up to 6 ski as well.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I bought one used from another member here a few months ago. Finally got around to test fitting it a few weeks ago. It seems to be pretty decent quality. There's no additional wind noise even at highway speed. Although, I haven't gotten around to driving with any boards attached.

I was debating on whether to go with the Snowcat or buying the cross bars and snowboard attachment but decided to just go with the Snowcat as I don't need to lug anything else on the roof other than me and my friends boards and skis.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I'm happy with my Yakima its been solid for 4 years of use usually hauling 4 boards.
There was a thread a out a snow cat fail but I can't recall if it was user error ill try to find the thread for ya

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
While that is a Thule rack, it's not the Snowcat rack The Deacon is talking about. The Snowcat is a snowboard rack that doesn't require crossbars. It has locking latches on both ends that lock on to the factory roof rack.

Looks like this...

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rei's "thule fit guide" doesn't even list this as fitting my truck, or anything fitting my truck, which makes me suspect of said fit guide. I mean, one would think that an SUV with a factory roof rack would be exactly what this is made for. Grr.

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They're 4' center to center. Don't have anything to compare that to, but it doesn't seem that far...

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
Did you check the Thule USA site?
I just looked but didn't see anything marked as "Snowcat", so I didn't look further.
I'd contact them directly to check for fitting to your vehicle.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
aren't your racks adjustable anyway? I know my suburban I could slide the cross bars pretty close together.
I'm not positive but I don't see why this wouldn't work.
I thought most box sporting good stores carried these along with some of the specialty bicycle shops. You may be able to stop in and hit up their wisdom and they may even let you take it outside to set it on the truck :dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright, got it figured out. Went to Thule's site and used the fit guide there, using my desktop instead of a mobile browser. The universal flattops and the snowcats will both work. Thanks everybody!
:laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Picked up a snowcat, pretty happy so far, I just wish it had risers, as my bindings make contact with my roof... :unsure:

No discernible increase in road noise without boards in it though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
That sucks, I have yet to try it with my board upside down. Hopefully mine will fit. Guess it just depends on how high your factory rails are.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts