Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately i gained a lot of weight during my new job on an office where i spend most of my time sitting. I been exploring new ideas and i always wanted to snowboard. I'm planning on going to snowboarding resort around Dec.15th but i have no helmet, bindings or board. I'm currently 5'8 est. 250/260 Pounds and i been reading online articles that stated i should go for a size like 161-163, any suggestion on the size and boards to get? Do you think the resort will not let me rent their equipment due to my weight? Please someone help me up and give me some suggestions and tips. I never been to snowboarding resort before and i'd like to know if i go would i be the only big guy in the mountain lol.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Lately i gained a lot of weight during my new job on an office where i spend most of my time sitting. I been exploring new ideas and i always wanted to snowboard. I'm planning on going to snowboarding resort around Dec.15th but i have no helmet, bindings or board. I'm currently 5'8 est. 250/260 Pounds and i been reading online articles that stated i should go for a size like 161-163, any suggestion on the size and boards to get? Do you think the resort will not let me rent their equipment due to my weight? Please someone help me up and give me some suggestions and tips. I never been to snowboarding resort before and i'd like to know if i go would i be the only big guy in the mountain lol.
Firstly, although sitting all day every day isn't great for you it's not the main reason for your weight gain. That'll be the snacks.

Absolutely start snowboarding, if it gets a hold of you, like it has most of us, it'll be your favourite thing to do and something you think about constantly.

There will be no problem hiring gear and yeah 161-163 is about the right size for a beginner at 260lbs. Even a bit shorter would be fine for the first 10 - 20 days. The most important thing is to make sure that you get some quality instruction. This will help you progress and get to where you're having fun as quickly as possible. The first few days can be brutal with lots of painful falls and frustration. Just persever, it's worth it.

You're going to love it. Please don't worry about being the only big guy on the mountain - plenty of big guys snowboard. You're not even the only big guy on this forum.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Yes, just go, buy a helmet and some cheap goggles. At Baker it called the beginner's package, $50 for rental board, bindings, boots, lesson and bunny hill chair lift...will keep you busy, bruised and busted....happy but begging for mercy.

For now, go read the tips, tricks and coaching section of the forum, pay particular attention to anything about learning how to fall, getting up, skate and get off the chair lift. Understanding and being efficient at falling, getting up, getting off the chair and skating 1 footed will help immensely.

Also watch a lot of learning how to snowboard videos.

And lastly how to snug your boots and what is a good fit...boot fit is key to having a good time.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Hi Luis,

STOKED that you are getting started riding! This is the greatest sport in the world. Rider height is not a factor in board sizing but foot size (barefoot measurement) is critical to sizing board, boots and bindings.

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters). For width please place the inside (medial side) of your foot against a wall. Please then measure from the wall out to the widest point on the lateral (outside) of your foot.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Im bigger than you, and there are plenty bigger than me. Just go.

If you live anywhere near a powder corp resort, some of them have a very good package called "ski or ride in 5". It would be worth it to travel for this deal too. Its 5 days of lessons with rentals and lift ticket included. it is specifically for people that have never done it before. They get you sorted with gear, teach you the basics of it, get you on the mountain and making turns. When you finish you get a season pass. Its $199-249 total for the package, depending on the mountain you are at.

powder corp - http://www.powdr.com/
mt bachelor is one I sent a couple people to last season - https://www.mtbachelor.com/gravity-school/ski-or-ride5/

I have also used copper mtn in Colorado for a couple friends too but I don't know if they still have it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Plenty of big guys on this forum and on the mountain! You won't be the biggest one out there!

Like Wrath said, be sure to get a helmet, goggles, and proper boot size but you should've have any issues getting a board the in the proper size range at the resort. You can rent a helmet but you never know what the integrity of it actually is so it's better to have your own. You CANNOT rent goggles. Those you have to buy.
Be sure to try on both at the same time to ensure compatibility with each other.

Have fun! It's super addictive and will get you down to 230 in no time if you stick with it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts