Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
I havent and dont feel the need to hit jumps much bigger than that, but one thing I know about hitting a larger jump is you dont want to case it. Rather go a little farther down to the sweet spot. Its the same as a smaller I would just try to be confident and grab in the air for stability(or at least tuck the knees). You'll never see me hitting a 75 footer personally though:dunno:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, i do comps though and its kinda embarresing when i throw down on all the rails then have to just spin over the knuckle :/

·
Registered
753 Posts
Well, if youre looking to go somewhere with your riding you are gonna have to push yourself hard, really hard. Ive seen guys from my school go places, Jake Kuzyk (in a few videograss movies), Jody Wachniuk, but these guys ride the street/a little BC I dont think they even hit jumps bigger than 75 feet. Just have fun with it if you get where you want to go thats awesome. If you really wanna go far you wanna be shredding all year round improving. As for me Im just gonna play it safe and go to college:giggle:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Me neither its just not worth the risk, medium sized jumps are where its at for myself. Have fun, keep progressing and stay healthy my friend.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Pretty sure it's no different than smaller jumps....just with a lot more hang time.

Don't they design the jumps so that if you straight line it from near the top, there's no way you can overshoot the landing?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Go faster on the ground and slower in the air.

Find someone that will let you pace them as they hit the jump while you go to the side at the last moment. Once you have the speed then you just have to huck it.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Can someone show me a photo of what a 40 foot jump is? I'm not ever going to hit something that large but just don't have a good visual of what one looks like.

Google wasn't helpful.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Can someone show me a photo of what a 40 foot jump is? I'm not ever going to hit something that large but just don't have a good visual of what one looks like.

Google wasn't helpful.
It means that the table (flat part) after the jump is 40 ft long. Then comes the knuckle, then the landing. Meaning you should jump at least 45 to 50 feet in order to not eat it.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The length is measured from the lip of the launch to just past the knuckle. Once the landing area starts. Though you're really leave the ground before the lip and land past the end of the knuckle making a 40ft jump at least 45ft of air.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I stay away from the xl features at my hill. I don't mind the medium to large jumps but I am to breakable to do the 40 plus shit. If I break a bone, I don't work, my bills don't get paid etc. that being said, I have hit big stuff when I was younger. I just prefer natural jumps these days.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
It means that the table (flat part) after the jump is 40 ft long. Then comes the knuckle, then the landing. Meaning you should jump at least 45 to 50 feet in order to not eat it.
Got it.

Yeah ... I'm not going to hit that :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I am a bit scared of larger jumps, but I was able to hit a 55/60 ft semi step up and it was a lot less intimidating. It is the same amount of hang time but you are going up most of the way, so even if you hit the knuckle you are dropping 5 or 10 feet onto it instead of 30...

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Depends on the jump. I've hit 25 footers that were sketchy as hell. I've hit 65 footers with touch down landings. The size of the jump doesn't make it dangerous, it's construction does.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Pretty sure it's no different than smaller jumps....just with a lot more hang time.

Don't they design the jumps so that if you straight line it from near the top, there's no way you can overshoot the landing?
No:RantExplode:, get that right the fuck out of your head right now.

If any of your friends believe that? :angry:

Please, slap that out of them.:eusa_clap:

In fairy tale land, you can go as fast as you can.

TT

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Depends on the jump. I've hit 25 footers that were sketchy as hell. I've hit 65 footers with touch down landings. The size of the jump doesn't make it dangerous, it's construction does.
Bingo, we have a winner.

TT

·
Registered
816 Posts
Big jumps are exactly the same as small jumps once you've mastered basic jump technique.

It's just about getting the speed right and getting used to the speed you need to take into the jump. Once you get used to the speed and know how fast you have to go to make the sweet spot it's pretty clear sailing.

As extremo said, the type/build of jump is a big factor too. Some jumps will only be 30-40 feet but will send you really high up in the air but other jumps will send you 40 feet but you may never be very far from the ground.

Some jumps are built very well with smooth take-offs that don't 'kick' you off balance and some jumps have sketchy take-offs with crazy amounts of lip that require a lot of effort and concentration to avoid getting thrown off balance as you ride off the take-off.

It really depends a lot on your local mountain and how good or how much funding the park crew receives.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts