Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Tips on equiptment pls help a noob!

2K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  Brandel 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow snowboarders!

I will start off with talking alittle about myself. I live in Sweden and have been snowboarding for a few season (converted from skies) and have come to the point where I simply feel like I need my own equiptment.

My stats are:

6 ft
185 pound
shoe size 11.5

So I guess I need a wide board who is medium stiff?

But the board/binding/shoe market is a jungle and I don't know what I should be looking for!

I want board/boots/bindings that will allow me to ride in the park but I still want to be able to do some fairly big jumps and ride outside the park also.

Don't know what more to say, I'm open to everything!

I'm sorry if my english is not 100% correct since I live in Sweden (eu)

Thanks!

Edit: Been looking on the following snowboards, any thoughts?

Ride Machete
Nitro T1
K2 Parkstar
K2 Happy Hour
K2 Slayblade
K2 Fastplant

Any thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·

I will start off with talking alittle about myself. I live in Sweden and have been snowboarding for a few season (converted from skies) and have come to the point where I simply feel like I need my own equiptment.

My stats are:

6 ft
185 pound
shoe size 11.5

But the board/binding/shoe market is a jungle and I don't know what I should be looking for!

I want board/boots/bindings that will allow me to ride in the park but I still want to be able to do some fairly big jumps and ride outside the park also.

Thanks!
Looks like you are looking for an allmountain-freestyle deck. Watch out for Salomon Villain, Capita DOA or a Bataleon Evil Twin/Lobster Park Baord. But I'd recommend to demo Bataleon/Lobster before you buy it cause TBT is not everybody's taste. It shouldn't be hard to find them on a demo day especially in Sweden.

As for boots: Whatever Boot fits you best. I think you don't necessarily need a wide board, if you get boots with some kind of reduced footprint technology, such as Burton boots or Salomon F-Series.

Bindings: They should fit your boots. Think about if you want a fast entry system or usual straps. Everybody has his favorites. For fast entry check out Flows, for traditional Burton Cartels/Malavitas, K2 IPO, Nitro Phantom, Rome 390 (Boss).
Seriously there are loads of options.
Nivek will probably give you some better insight.

#4 · (Edited)
Thank you for the replay! Yeah I also think that a allmountain freestyle would be the best choice for me. Unfortunately I live in the southern parts of Sweden and thus we don't have any slopes meaning no demo :(

Awesome tips for boots/bindings. I know there is alot of options, that's the big problem :D Sure is gonna look up the stuff you mentioned!

Edited first post with some boards I've been looking at, would be nice if the board can be bought at http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/ since you get 10% discount buying full equiptment and also free shipping :D

P.S :rock:

#3 ·

My stats are:

6 ft
185 pound
shoe size 11.5

Thanks!

STOKED that you are loving riding! 11.5 is on the cusp of requiring a "wide" board in some models and sizes. Would you mind taking a quick measurement? Also, please let us know what stance width and angles you ride.

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).

#15 ·
My advice-
for boots: go to a store and try on as many pairs of boots as you can, get the ones that are the most comfortable. As long as they are from one of the name brands they will be quality.

Bindings- get some medium stiffness bindings, burton/ride/k2/rome all made good bindings. make sure they fit the boots you buy.

Board- I think the ride machete is a really good all around board that is very durable, i demoed one a few years ago and really liked it. Next the T1, solid board, flat base is more stable than the all rocker boards.

#16 ·
I would suggest getting the best size for you or looking for another deal. You would be much happier with the 157. It is not the 3 cm, it is a combination of all of the elements. Sintered/extruded should not be a deciding factor. Both have benefits and weaknesses.

Jibstick- Too one dimensional for your goals.
Playback- Flat rock (self described beginner/intermdiate model)
Happy Hour - Lifted/Tweekend - I would suggest a demo first. Very unusual feel.
T1 - Flat

I would highly suggest that you look to a CRC or RCR model for this deck. It will get you exactly where you want to be.

#20 ·
if you are looking at last years happyhour go for it, they changed it from a straight flat zero camber to a funky kind of camber this year.

order of importance when buying stuff for me
1-boot fit
2-bindings fit
3 board size

if your boots don't fit into the bindings well it can become pretty uncomfortable, the easiest way to get it right is to buy bindings from the same company as the boots.

If you can't try on boots at a store at least order from a store that does free returns, try them on at home, make sure your heel is held nice and tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.