Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
If I'm trying to take up some room at the toebox or trying to stop the liner sliding forward in the boot, should I add some foam on the inside of the liner at the toes or on the outside of the liner?

Both?
Neither lol

Not at the toes. There shouldnt be ANY room between the outside of your liner and the shell - the liner should not be free to slide.

To prevent your FOOT from sliding fwd... you add foam to the tongue. Can be inside the liner or between the liner and shell/tongue.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Neither lol

Not at the toes. There shouldnt be ANY room between the outside of your liner and the shell - the liner should not be free to slide.

To prevent your FOOT from sliding fwd... you add foam to the tongue. Can be inside the liner or between the liner and shell/tongue.
I added a ton of foam to the tongue and around the calf area. Hold was definitely better this time around and I didn't have any toe bang issues. It still honestly doesn't quite cut it for heel hold though. I think I'm just getting to the point where I'm going to have to keep adding foam to get these in the ballpark they should have been at from the get go. Just don't think these are right for my feet... I'm hoping I can get them good enough to use on less aggressive days if I cant sell them.

The K2 thraxis just showed up today. Same size at size 8. I tried them on with athletic socks and the heel hold already felt superior. They felt like they had a little room at the front but with snowboarding socks and a thicker insole I think that the volume should be much better. I guess I'm hopeful!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Kinda frustrated.

Tried on the thraxis with board socks (shredsox) and still felt that pressure point on front part of my medial malleolus. I feel like i can tolerate it when trying them on but I honestly doubt that I'd feel the same way 6hrs into a session in choppy terrain getting bucked around. Sizing is definitely right on the money though I think.

Ugh what a bummer. Crossing my fingers for the lasso. Gonna be fun returning these haha.

Edit : oh shit!
Reading this thread I realized that you can actually move that part! It's held on by velcro and you can reposition it. Gonna try that!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Eh. False alarm. Turns out it's not the conda attachment doing it at all.

There are tubes for the the boa cables that run in the boot. The liner has a soft pocket right above the medial part of the ankle and when I crank the boa down, the harness attachments actually poke me through the softer part of the liner.

I could probably figure out a way to pad these so it doesn't bother me but I don't think I'm ready to commit to doing that with these boots yet.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Do you wear super thin snowboard socks? I started wearing the thinnest Stance socks last season and it made a huge difference for me.

Going back to traditional laces over BOA helped a ton too. No more pressure points.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Eh. False alarm. Turns out it's not the conda attachment doing it at all.

There are tubes for the the boa cables that run in the boot. The liner has a soft pocket right above the medial part of the ankle and when I crank the boa down, the harness attachments actually poke me through the softer part of the liner.

I could probably figure out a way to pad these so it doesn't bother me but I don't think I'm ready to commit to doing that with these boots yet.
Too bad about the Thraxis. If the Lasso felt good to you, maybe the Fuse would be worth looking at. I prefer the laces to boa for pressure points, but there's still a single boa to lock down the tongue/heel. The rubber toe cap is durable. Most importantly, the Fuse use a burrito wrap liner which I've found to be great for low volume ankles. They're the most comfortable liners I've used so far.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Do you wear super thin snowboard socks? I started wearing the thinnest Stance socks last season and it made a huge difference for me.

Going back to traditional laces over BOA helped a ton too. No more pressure points.
What boots ended up working for you?
And my socks differ depending on the weather. But they're all ski/board socks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
What boots ended up working for you?
And my socks differ depending on the weather. But they're all ski/board socks.
TM2 XLT’s

I recommend wearing thin socks in all conditions. I feel they give a more precise fit, do not cause as much foot sweat, keep your feet warmer, and dry faster.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've got the Ride Lasso boots and can feel pressure points from the lower Boa around my ankles.
I had those.

after only 15 days they packed out, got crazy soft, and started falling apart. The boas were constantly breaking and caused the worst pressure points. Never again.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
TM2 XLT’s

I recommend wearing thin socks in all conditions. I feel they give a more precise fit, do not cause as much foot sweat, keep your feet warmer, and dry faster.
I didn't have great luck with the regular TM2 but that was a half size big. The booster strap on the XLTs probably helps significantly with locking things in. I think I tried them in the past but wasn't wowed. Might have to dobit again.

Tbh I really wish I could get the TM3s to work. I love the flex and the versatility with the inserts.

I've got the Ride Lasso boots and can feel pressure points from the lower Boa around my ankles.
I had those.

after only 15 days they packed out, got crazy soft, and started falling apart. The boas were constantly breaking and caused the worst pressure points. Never again.
Great, can never have too many things to look forward to in life :LOL:
Oof yikes. I had ordered the thraxis and lassos to try at home. Guess im going to have to send them both back and eat the cost of return shipping. The more you know!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Tried on a bunch of boots at the mountain shop yesterday. Looks like lots of folks have limited supply already or just don't carry the models I want to try on. I'm stuck ordering shit and trying it on at home and sucking it up and paying for return shipping. I guess it atleast saves time vs running around to myriad stores and hoping they have some of the stuff I'm looking for.

On that note, I found some DC Shuksan's at a decent price. Going to order a 7.5 and 8 for trial purposes and see how it goes.

Probably not the best way to do things, but I also recently ordered bontex boards for the 32's to raise the liner up in the shell and also heel lifts for the boots. One and or both of these might reduce the chance of toe bang. I might lose some response if it works, but honestly at this point I'm willing to live with it if it means I can get through the season without stressing about boots through all of it.

Too bad about the Thraxis. If the Lasso felt good to you, maybe the Fuse would be worth looking at. I prefer the laces to boa for pressure points, but there's still a single boa to lock down the tongue/heel. The rubber toe cap is durable. Most importantly, the Fuse use a burrito wrap liner which I've found to be great for low volume ankles. They're the most comfortable liners I've used so far.
You're on the insano's right?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I was on the insanos for awhile. Good boots, just a little stiff for my riding lately. I've been rocking the fuse for the last 40 days or so.
Honestly that would probably be the best way for me to go. I'd love to be able to adjust heel hold on the fly.

Might have to try some of the K2 boots that do that as well.

I usually have to retie my boots over the day but thats mostly for the heel issue. Having a boa for that would solve the issue.

I honestly think I prefer laces and the zones they allow but I need a boa at least for the heels.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I was skeptical of the heel hold boa, but it's pretty awesome. It locks down the whole tongue and avoids pressure points I used to have locking down the liner. I never retie my boots throughout the day. If anything I'll give that heel boa another crank. It's also nice to pop the boa loose for walking around.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was skeptical of the heel hold boa, but it's pretty awesome. It locks down the whole tongue and avoids pressure points I used to have locking down the liner. I never retie my boots throughout the day. If anything I'll give that heel boa another crank. It's also nice to pop the boa loose for walking around.

Tongue Tied Boa is legit. However, the Slime Tongue tech I'm not sold on yet.

I'm just hoping my Tridents hold together for the rest of the year, I can't find any in my size.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I like the urathane slime tongues. I'm always breaking tongues, and I'm hoping these will be more durable. Time will tell. I've only got around 40-50 days on my Fuse now and they're looking good. I'm hoping for another 50. We'll see.

It is strange how urathane becomes harder when it's cold. I use urathane highbacks as well, so my set-up's stiffness is a little variable depending on the weather. I'm generally riding harder when it's cold and looser when it's hot anyway.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I like the urathane slime tongues. I'm always breaking tongues, and I'm hoping these will be more durable. Time will tell. I've only got around 40-50 days on my Fuse now and they're looking good. I'm hoping for another 50. We'll see.

It is strange how urathane becomes harder when it's cold. I use urathane highbacks as well, so my set-up's stiffness is a little variable depending on the weather. I'm generally riding harder when it's cold and looser when it's hot anyway.
My slime tongue cracked around day 70-80. I've now heard from quite a few people (as well as Ride customer service/warranty department) that they've had the same issue anywhere around the 60-80 day mark.

Other than that, the boots kick ass. I really feel they could go another 50 days if the Tongue didn't break.

I noticed they updated the Slime Tongue on the tridents, so I'm hoping my next pair won't have the same issue.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts