Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
My slime tongue cracked around day 70-80. I've now heard from quite a few people (as well as Ride customer service/warranty department) that they've had the same issue anywhere around the 60-80 day mark.

Other than that, the boots kick ass. I really feel they could go another 50 days if the Tongue didn't break.

I noticed they updated the Slime Tongue on the tridents, so I'm hoping my next pair won't have the same issue.
Well that's not what I want to hear! Hopefully I'll be on the 80 side of things, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Tried on a bunch of boots at the mountain shop yesterday. Looks like lots of folks have limited supply already or just don't carry the models I want to try on. I'm stuck ordering shit and trying it on at home and sucking it up and paying for return shipping. I guess it atleast saves time vs running around to myriad stores and hoping they have some of the stuff I'm looking for.
I prefer ordering online and taking my time with trying them on at home. Wear each pair for a while and see how your feet feel. This is way better than spending all day at a shop or rushing to make a decision. Evo has cheap flat rate return shipping. I think I ordered 6 pairs each time and each return was only $7 or so. Well worth it.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Just tried out the ride lasso boots at home. I thought I was having heel lift but when I looked down, the actual heel of my boot was lifting up!

Heel hold and fit in the ankle is honestly better than anything else I think I've tried. I'm going to seek out some of their other stuff to try on, but otherwise I think these should be okay for at least a couple of seasons based on my use. I got them on sale for about 190 shipped.

Really leaning hard towards keeping these at this point. I'm okay skipping out on the laces for now and based on my riding im not super sure I want the actual stiffest boots around. If there's one thing I like about the TM3s its the stiffness with or without the inserts.

Feeling kinda hopeful!

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,661 Posts
I have Ride Lassos at home and at Whistler. Great boots, as long as you get the tightest fit you can. I came down a half size from my last pair. The K2 Maysis fit almost identical, except the liner is velcro instead of pull lace, which I'm not sure about.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I have Ride Lassos at home and at Whistler. Great boots, as long as you get the tightest fit you can. I came down a half size from my last pair. The K2 Maysis fit almost identical, except the liner is velcro instead of pull lace, which I'm not sure about.
That's really good to hear! I don't think I can downsize below an 8 but might go check at a shop. As long as the heel holds stays put I'll be happy with a slightly less aggressive foot.

My only concern with them is that there's no hard spine on the back of the boot where it interfaces with the binding. Worried that's going to accelerate wear with the binding eating into the boot and also cause them to soften up faster..

Tbh, id be happy with them being a 60-80 day boot.

I put bontex boards in my TM3s today tried them on at home with my thinnest SB socks. I still felt things moving around in there but might be a bit better with my thicker socks.

How long do you typically get out of a pair? What are your other boots?

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
You can definitely size slightly down on Ride boots. I can make myself fit into 10's, and my wife could also go half size smaller w Ride than on ThirtyTwos when she tried a few at the shop.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,661 Posts
I used to go with 32 Focus Boa boots, which are a stiff, large-profile boot. Switched to the Lasso and K2 Maysis, and found that a softer boot suits me better. And the smaller form factor is a bonus.

I got in 35 days last year, but that's combined on two different sets of boots. So far this year, I haven't seen any wear or breaking down. Mind you, I'm an intermediate rider, not some crazy. I don't see 60-80 days as being unreasonable.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
You can definitely size slightly down on Ride boots. I can make myself fit into 10's, and my wife could also go half size smaller w Ride than on ThirtyTwos when she tried a few at the shop.
To what end though? I'm a size 8 already. Going down to a 7.5 means that I might be looking at new bindings. And I'm with the WW of some of the boards I ride it might actually be deleterious to pressuring the edge and fast transitions.

I get being really aggressive with sizing down if your feet are on the bigger side, but is it really necessary to push way down past mondopoint? When I had my feet measured on a brannock the other day at the mountain boot shop, I think I was a 9 with just about a regular width.

That said, I guess I'll give them a try with my insoles (vs the stock insoles). That might pull my feet back a bit I guess. The stockers shockingly didn't feel totally terrible for the trial! I bet it'll be a different story once riding though haha.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
To what end though? I'm a size 8 already. Going down to a 7.5 means that I might be looking at new bindings. And I'm with the WW of some of the boards I ride it might actually be deleterious to pressuring the edge and fast transitions.

I get being really aggressive with sizing down if your feet are on the bigger side, but is it really necessary to push way down past mondopoint? When I had my feet measured on a brannock the other day at the mountain boot shop, I think I was a 9 with just about a regular width.

That said, I guess I'll give them a try with my insoles (vs the stock insoles). That might pull my feet back a bit I guess. The stockers shockingly didn't feel totally terrible for the trial! I bet it'll be a different story once riding though haha.
Not saying you should. Just saying you typically can.

If you're comfy in a US9 ThirtyTwo, chances are you're comfy too in a US8.5 Ride. But none of this matters much; if you're comfortable in any boot, in any size, that's what's important.

And of course if you had to get 3 heat molds, change footbeds, micro thin socks plus some voodoo to get into US9 ThirtyTwo, don't expect 8.5 Ride will be a walk in the park.

Sizing down is like the "i ride camber" for boards or being vegan. For some reason, everyone wants to say they sized down...

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I'm currently in a size 8 TM3 I think they could stand to be a little bit longer but the shape just doesn't work for me because I can't get it tight around by calf and ankle. 8.5 TM2 was too big, 8.5 thraxis was too big but 8 was good. Burton rulers with my insoles were maybe okay in an 8 in the store but would have required heat molding and they're too soft.

I should try the rides with arch support to see how the length really works out though I guess. Honestly I fully expect to have to add some foam as time goes on. I'm pretty sure the out of the box fit is better than anything else I've tried. Id probably add foam on the liner pretty early to not have to crank down the boas like crazy if I keep these. Tint ankle/calf problems 😑

I wear a size 8.5 nike sneaker and dress shoes but I moved down from the 9s I used to wear ages ago. I think most people size up on sneakers way more than I do.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
I'm currently in a size 8 TM3 I think they could stand to be a little bit longer but the shape just doesn't work for me because I can't get it tight around by calf and ankle. 8.5 TM2 was too big, 8.5 thraxis was too big but 8 was good. Burton rulers with my insoles were maybe okay in an 8 in the store but would have required heat molding and they're too soft.

I should try the rides with arch support to see how the length really works out though I guess. Honestly I fully expect to have to add some foam as time goes on. I'm pretty sure the out of the box fit is better than anything else I've tried. Id probably add foam on the liner pretty early to not have to crank down the boas like crazy if I keep these. Tint ankle/calf problems 😑

I wear a size 8.5 nike sneaker and dress shoes but I moved down from the 9s I used to wear ages ago. I think most people size up on sneakers way more than I do.
Yeah same for me. The Elite liner does not give me good heel hold. Leaves a lot of room around my feet, but it's tight lengthwise.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Yeah same for me. The Elite liner does not give me good heel hold. Leaves a lot of room around my feet, but it's tight lengthwise.
It sucks. The shell really checks off a lot of my boxes but it's useless if things don't fit. Did you have better luck with a different liner? I think I recall your saying you've swapped a few around.

Sunk cost fallacy though.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
It sucks. The shell really checks off a lot of my boxes but it's useless if things don't fit. Did you have better luck with a different liner? I think I recall your saying you've swapped a few around.

Sunk cost fallacy though.
Yeah I have a Performance liner in them - from my old focus Boa. I think Focus boa come with the Elite liner now though; but that liner is on TM2, Lashed etc.

Night and day difference. It's stiffer, more plush, responds better to molding. Way better heel hold.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Yeah I have a Performance liner in them - from my old focus Boa. I think Focus boa come with the Elite liner now though; but that liner is on TM2, Lashed etc.

Night and day difference. It's stiffer, more plush, responds better to molding. Way better heel hold.
Honestly kinda tempted to find a cheap set of new/used TM2s and grab the liner from them and see how it feels in the shell. May even fit me better since they'd be a size 8 unless I should be getting a size 8.5 to fit in the shell since the elite liners are different.

The TM2's i used to own were a half size too big so they just had too much volume no matter what.

Feels a bit silly to keep chasing this down in order to get boots to fit that have been frustrating so far, esp when the lasso's might fit the bill. Would be nice I guess. All comes down to price. I can see how it made sense for you since you had the liner already.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Anyone have any input between the vans verse and ride lasso? Got a good deal on the verse so ordering a set to try out at home. Hopefully it gets here before the return window for the lasso ends!

Also, the TM3s are tolerable with the bontex boards in. Heel sits way better in the pocket! Only issue now is that cranking the liner down makes things a bit too tight on my arches ie pulls the insoles into my arches too much. Just gotta play with it but I think it's a step in the right direction for now!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I picked up Vans Verse a couple weeks ago. Had to fiddle with the BOA's quite a bit the first day and had some foot pain, but that's to be expected with new boots. The second day my feet were killing me and two days later my big toe is still tingling a bit. I am pretty sure I cranked them down so hard I irritated my nerves on top of my foot. It sucks because they were the most comfortable "in store" boots I tried.

My last boots were TM-2's and lasted me 6 seasons. I am tempted to go 32 again and am eyeing the 3XD's. It seems quite a few of my local shops here in UT no longer carry ThirtyTwo, it makes me wonder if the quality issues have really gone downhill in the past few years. I also want to try the Adidas Tactical ADV's, but can't find them either.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I picked up Vans Verse a couple weeks ago. Had to fiddle with the BOA's quite a bit the first day and had some foot pain, but that's to be expected with new boots. The second day my feet were killing me and two days later my big toe is still tingling a bit. I am pretty sure I cranked them down so hard I irritated my nerves on top of my foot. It sucks because they were the most comfortable "in store" boots I tried.

My last boots were TM-2's and lasted me 6 seasons. I am tempted to go 32 again and am eyeing the 3XD's. It seems quite a few of my local shops here in UT no longer carry ThirtyTwo, it makes me wonder if the quality issues have really gone downhill in the past few years. I also want to try the Adidas Tactical ADV's, but can't find them either.
Adidas is getting out of the snowboard boot game no? Or was that just Nike?

If you liked the TM2's I'd likely just buy those again unless you want to change something about them. The 3XD's and TM3's have a very different liner so the fit is quite different. Just something to be mindful of. If you buy online, make sure you do it from a place that has a very generous return policy so you can try at home and not have to pay 40 bucks to send back if they don't work out. The liners are very very stiff. Nothing like the TM2 liners. I actually bought a cheap set of TM2's to try to swap the liners and see if things are better that way.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts