Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TM2's are going to be warrantied shortly and I'm trying to figure out if I want to go that route again or if I want to try one of the different models. I found the TM2 to fit me pretty well, but I'm looking for something that'll last me the next 3-5 years since I'll likely only get 100-120 days out in this duration.

I'm intrigued by the XLT for the beefier sole and construction and the TM3 for the better toe caps (less stitching) and flexibility differences.

I ride mostly groomed trails and some glades and haven't done any back country stuff yet but might want to in the future. I'm mostly looking for something comfortable that's stiff and can hold its shape for a decent while. I don't expect the stiffness to be the same on day 1 as day 120 but that's fine with me.

Anyone have any opinions on any of the boots, especially the TM3's? I feel like those are the odd ones out at this time.

Thanks!
RTC.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
The XLT's used to be about the same stiffness but I think are stiffer than the regular TM2 as of last year. They're also a little bit heavier.

I have the Jones version of the XLT that is the same price but adds the half-gaiter that I don't care about and a reinforced plastic toe box and the Velcro ankle strap that I love.

Since I'm tall and heavy and work my boots pretty hard I go for the XLT and they've been holding up really well. I got about 60 days on my first pair (with no Velcro strap) and they've softened some but are plenty rideable and great for park or lazy resort days. The new ones with the Velcro strap should last longer I think. I never have to retie the laces now and the boots feel perfect all day.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,135 Posts
Can't compare to the TM2 or TM3.

I have the XLT, 2 seasons, used it maybe 50 days (other days I use the MTB), and I don't recognize softening so far. It's a great stiff resort freeride boot, also for bc ventures. It has a reasonably stiff sturdy sole for bootpacking, holds semi-automatic crampons, too. Only for hitting steps in crusty/icy steeps, I prefer the straight sole of MTB, or just use crampons.

However, the stiff sole may be something you need to get used to. Fine tuning with toes is a bit restricted compared to boots with less sturdy soles.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel like I'm at a crossroads right now because of the issue I had with my TM2's. I think I might have just received a dud pair because the stitching at the toes came apart AND one of the metal grommets holding the hooks on for the laces snapped and is putting a hole in the tongue. All with about 13 days on the mountain. Both issues on same boot. Other boot looks totally new.

The XLT's look like a solid option for me, but I'm worried about the toe stitching coming apart again. The TM3's look like they may actually have a fully molded toe so this shouldn't be an issue with them. The better sole and the boost strap of the XLT is pretty appealing though.

Maybe I just got a totally dud pair and should quit worrying about this?

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
I feel like I'm at a crossroads right now because of the issue I had with my TM2's. I think I might have just received a dud pair because the stitching at the toes came apart AND one of the metal grommets holding the hooks on for the laces snapped and is putting a hole in the tongue. All with about 13 days on the mountain. Both issues on same boot. Other boot looks totally new.

The XLT's look like a solid option for me, but I'm worried about the toe stitching coming apart again. The TM3's look like they may actually have a fully molded toe so this shouldn't be an issue with them. The better sole and the boost strap of the XLT is pretty appealing though.

Maybe I just got a totally dud pair and should quit worrying about this?
On my old TM-2's a grommet rivet popped after a season and a half and I epoxied it back on. I think the reason it popped was because I caught a lace under the grommet and torqued it. But that's the only problem on three pairs I've had, so sounds like a dud to me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Started the process to warranty my defective boots and shop is trying to see if I can swap them for 32 branded outerwear instead.
Reason being I already bought a different set of boots after waiting for 32 to respond to my emails for a while.

Ended up getting TM3's. Stoked.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 days on the TM3s and I love them. I added some padding to the tongue and put in some small heel lifts to get my skinny ankles into the heel pocket. Also using shred soles.

I thought the inserts were going to be gimmicky but I'm now wondering if they make stiffer ones. Today I rode with them in the morning and took them out in the afternoon. The yup felt awesome with them off. I felt like I was just grooving.

Super stoked on them.

Only negative is grip on ice.

Evo has them for 280 for last years model. Just get them if they have your size. I went with a size 8 and I'm really glad that I did. My TM2s were definitely a size too big.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
@ridethecliche glad your sorted the boot stuff out. It’s such a stressful thing lol
It's kinda sorta figured out. After 2 awesome days, my left big toe just got railed today for some reason. I don't think I had my laces tight enough. With the heel wedge, I'm right in the heel pocket which is awesome, but I'm like... now semi curious what 7.5's would feel like lol.

Also re the TM2's I'm trying to get the warranty on because of the broken hooks, the shop and 32 seem to be stalling. If I don't get a resolution this week, I'm going to call my CC and start the process for a chargeback. It's been over a month of this and I bought at a local shop so they could handle the bs if anything happened. Tired of being made to wait here...

And if you're an 8/8.5/11.5/13, here's a link to get these for 290.

And if anyone wants a used pair of 8.5 xlts, I was watching this auction on ebay. Hard to beat at this price at this condition!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a weird question... but does anyone have a rec for something to coat the toes and/or stitching with? I was trying to put my boot under the heel cup of the binding on the lift today and kicked the edge by mistake and nicked the rubber of the toe about it. I can obviously be a bit more careful (and yes these things are meant to take a beating) but I'd like to idiot proof them a bit. They were pretty pricey and I'd like them to last me till the end of residency. I'm only going to be riding 20-30 days a season, so I have a feeling getting 3-5 years out of them isn't totally out of the question.

I have a feeling next year is going to be a fair bit more rough than this year in terms of schedule anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts