Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Stairmaster and the edges were like razors. My old Burton board i bought used and it was already detuned heavily. I recently went a little sh!t mountain in PA called Bear Creek Mtn and I was catchin edges like crazy. I went to the sorry excuse for a tune shop & the D-Bag said "You have to be stupid to dull your edges on a brand new board. You might as well throw it in the garbage." He also said with a nice D-Baggy-tude "Uh, we don't detune snowboards here, we TUNE snowboards". :thumbsdown:

Then I went to Mountain Creek South and they did me up nice. Love the board now! Don't hook or catch edges in the park anymore. Feels nice to be in a proper tune shops after that scary experience. :thumbsup:

It seems the opinion about detuning varies widely and I would love to know some opinions from you guys... :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just got a Rome Agent Rocker (Hybrid Camber) and was wondering what the proper spots are that should be detuned? The agent also has RAZOR sharp edges and I get paranoid of them catching.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I typically detune the tip and tail of every brand new board i ride, and depending on if I'm gonna ride park I will creep into the EE and between the binders..

·
Registered
16 Posts
every new board i detune pretty heavy all around the tip and the tail (if the edge goes all the way around). then i slightly dull the rest of the board and ride it to see how it feels. if its still catchy, go back around the board again. keep repeating the process till your happy. just take a little bit at a time cause you cant put the edges back on! :) I was able to detune mine pretty heavy in the middle too, but i ride a Libtech with magnatraction which makes a big difference.

·
Registered
612 Posts
first thing I did to my EVO when I got it was take a file to the edges, never had it on snow until that.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
#1. bear creek is actually a decent hill for the area. dont believe me? check out spring mount or blue marsh (now defunct...for a reason)

#2. dont get pissed if a shop wont detune a board for you. he is kind of right. they are paid (and trained) to tune boards, not file the edges off of them. some places just wont detune. the fact that they did do it at mtn creek doesnt surprise me either.

#3 i still do this day have never detuned a board and dont have a problem riding anywhere in the park.

just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
391 Posts
i still do this day have never detuned a board and dont have a problem riding anywhere in the park.
this.

+ if you're catching edges riding on snow (as opposed to features like boxes and rails) then learn to ride without catching edges. fine tune your balance and edge awareness (becoming a better rider) rather than blunting your board and making it easier on yourself. my 2 cents.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Might not be a bad idea to bring the bottom up at an angle (bevel), then put the side in at an angle to bring it back to 90... Then you're not detuning it, just moving your edge "up" a bit so it is less catchy. My Arbor came with a factory bevel of 1 degree...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I detune the tip and tail with a file and follow up with gummy stones. I detune the contact point with gummy stone only until the way I like it. Not too grabby but that smooth butter feel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so it seems like you guys like to detune. because ive always rode a detuned board, i cant ride any other way. because this is the east coast and its icy a lot i think detuning helps with catching edges when its icy.

i detuned my gf's board too and she said she likes it a lot better and she doesnt even go in the park.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I usually knock the sharp edge off the nose and tail of my boards when I get get them new. Usually about 3 inches down from the widest part of the nose and tail and I do not completely dull it down either.. Just maybe a few good strokes of a file to take the sharpness off. After that, I almost never touch my edges again unless I get a bad edge scar or jaggies, then I will try to smooth them out a bit.

I ride nothing but Lib boards so I have mag and no need to tune the nose and tail because Lib has tucked edges and not full wrap :thumbsup:

I have no problems jibbing rails without fully detuned board.. I don't know why people gimp their boards like that, but then again I am more of a freerider.. I am not much of a park rat and I do not do the urban thing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cool. thanks. my next board is prob gonna be a lib. a lot of my friends love the magna traction.

i dont think i noticed any difference in my handling, turning, stopping power, etc with a tuned or detuned board so i dont really understand why anyone would want sharp edges but thats just me. i can stop just as fast and turn just as good with it tuned or detuned. ive only need riding for about 6 yrs and it sounds like you have more experience than me. maybe i will understand more when i get better. thx! :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Lol.. I don't tune or detune my own boards yet.. but after my last trip to the local boardshop... I told them to tune/detune my board.. and told them I'd be using it to learn rails/jibs... my girlfriend picks it up for me... and I get it ... and the nose and tail are sharp as fuck.... I was just looking at the floor shaking my head... haha.. but no catches yet.. I'm pretty good about detuning the edges on ice anyways so no worries from me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well if you told them to tune/detune it, they prob assumed you wanted it tuned. id take it back and explain it a little better. or if you like it keep it like that.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
If you plan on riding rails you need to heavily detune. If you don't want to detune, don't jump on rails because they'll get jacked up once you come off early. And that's pretty stupid.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I ride nothing but Lib boards so I have mag and no need to tune the nose and tail because Lib has tucked edges and not full wrap :thumbsup:
Wrong.
Libs and Gnu have an edge that goes past the contact points a couple inches. If you want a detuned board you will need to file at least down to the contact points.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wrong.
Libs and Gnu have an edge that goes past the contact points a couple inches. If you want a detuned board you will need to file at least down to the contact points.
I am not sure what your troll is about here.. I was stating there was no point to file any further than where the edge is tucked on a Lib as most people will detune the nose and tail completely before contacts. lib/gnu do not have full wrap is all I was saying.

peace.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am not sure what your troll is about here.. I was stating there was no point to file any further than where the edge is tucked on a Lib as most people will detune the nose and tail completely before contacts. lib/gnu do not have full wrap is all I was saying.

peace.
I'm trying to help you understand the word "detuned". If you do nothing to a Gnu or Lib you are NOT riding a detuned board.
Insert "Helping you understand words guy" instead of "troll".

1 - 20 of 55 Posts