Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Gals and Guys,

I am in a pickle. I currently live in FL, and don't know if I should go on the Epic Trip starting Nov 22nd. I think it will really jump start my planned move to CO(summit)/Utah, but it will come at some considerable opportunity costs. I absolutely love snowboarding, and have never done anything else (other than the obvious) that was more enjoyable. I've only gone one whole trip though as of date (1 Week)

I would like for you all to judge if this trip is even possible before I go trying to see if the benefits outweigh the cost. And believe me, I know the financial opportunity cost of 5-6k now will never be recuperated in the "Epic Pass" fees which will be saved every year from this year on, especially with the current trends in the Markets.

Big Costs-
1. Financial- Ide be willing to let it go
2. Pissing off work- I have vacations set up around this time, but this trip would require 5 more total days and changes...They would probably let me though...
3. Pissing a friend off. I am slated to go to Breck in 3 days for a week and stay in Marriot off the sloped with a buddy, of whom I would have to cancel if I did this plan.
4. Exhaustion after a trip of this magnitude in this timeframe.

United States Plan: Budget- 2.7k
Nov 22nd- Fly in Den, rent car. Go to Eldora
23rd-arapahoe
24th-keystone
25th- breck
26th-vail
27th- wait for beaver-poss vail/other
28th- beaver, then drive 8 hours to heavenly
29th- heavenly
30th- northstar
1st-kirkwood, then drive 5 hours to park city
2nd- park city, then fly out by 8pm in denver (close call)
3rd- Afton, Minn, then drive 8 hours to Mt Bright
4th- Mt Brighton, then drive to detroit and get a plane down south to Fort Lauderdale
5th Be back at work.

Now, this is for the US, which is the hardest because you can only visit one resort per day.

Europe: Fly out of Fort Lauderdale on 12/13, come back anytime before Xmas when I finish. I have very little concerns about Europe.
Budget- 2.6 k (found a flight for 950 only)

So, does my plan seem feasible (mostly for US). I don't know things like a) are the roads drivable on Google Map estimated times? b) will I just not be able to make it (exhaustion). I am pretty fit and 25 for background. c)I'm sure there are things I didn't think of...

So, please discuss and help me talk myself into it, or call me a Floridiot for even thinking this is possible...

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Ummm, yeah driving from Beaver Creek to Heavenly is more like 12-14 hours. I would do Colorado, then Utah, then Tahoe. Tahoe from SLC is somewhere in the 8-10 hour drive range I believe.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
i'd put a rest day or 2 in there, gotta recoup, esp in the early season...quality over quantity yo

·
Registered
726 Posts
If I was going to spend that kind of money and time on a trip I wouldn't do it in early season conditions. Maybe those resorts are different but in Alberta Nov is still filling in, the parks are mediocre if open, the trees are barely ridable and rocks can easily be found on any run.

Maybe the conditions are better down in those regions in Nov?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ummm, yeah driving from Beaver Creek to Heavenly is more like 12-14 hours. I would do Colorado, then Utah, then Tahoe. Tahoe from SLC is somewhere in the 8-10 hour drive range I believe.
Yea, I wanted to do that, but the opening for SLC is a Day off on my itinerary.

Are the main roads to these locations driveable as highway speeds? I see on Google now it does say 13 hours, so it will be a treck. If it takes 1.5 times as normal then it probbly wont work. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
114 Posts
> 3rd- Afton, Minn, then drive 8 hours to Mt Bright

This seems low too. Google maps gives it 9:40. Depending on what time of day you hit the Chicago area, that could add to the time. Plus you have a 1-hour time change working against you. (Don't expect to leave Afton at noon and pull into Brighton at 8 pm, I guess is what I'm saying.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I did read the entire thread and I think he will kill it! His location seems to be more contemporary/readily available for the race as he lives centrally (within 10 hours) from the resorts and has a long plan. Mine is more of a dash, then 2 weeks off, then another dash due to work situations.

Any insight as to the plausibility of myself being able to complete the US leg? I cannot take off more days at work as I have a high up position in the company and they cannot hold it for over 1.5 weeks (without circumstance)

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
If I was going to spend that kind of money and time on a trip I wouldn't do it in early season conditions. Maybe those resorts are different but in Alberta Nov is still filling in, the parks are mediocre if open, the trees are barely ridable and rocks can easily be found on any run.

Maybe the conditions are better down in those regions in Nov?
He is considering doing it for the free lifetime pass competition, so he cannot wait/really choose his time.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
I've only gone one whole trip though as of date (1 Week)
That right there makes me think to say no. Unless you have done a bunch of non-trip snowboard in a local resort, I read this to mean that you are quite a beginner. If so, I think your skill level would severely reduce the enjoyment of the trip - while ability is not a requirement per se for the competition, riding a different mountain for the first time all the time, mostly in sub-optimal conditions and with little rest will be pretty rough. It also greatly reduces your injury risk. It will also do nothing to advance your riding.

I hate to discourage an enthusiastic noob (if that is what you are - otherwise disregard this post), but I really do not see the upside for you in doing this.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just hope that 10 people don't complete the race while you take your 2 weeks off.. I can't imagine people aren't just going to do this non-stop.. hell I would if I had the dough

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
I know 4 others doing it that I have had written or spoken conversation with. all plan to be done by Christmas.

The killer for mosts plans is the Midwest. It will likely open after your dates.

Alta is not on the pass...

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Also, we drive these routes for competitions and vacations often. Park city is a solid non stop 7 hour drive in winter, the northern route is slow because of road conditions, take the interstate.

Park city is 6.5 hours to truckee.
Kirkwood is add an hour.
Tahoe area to Denver 14 hours in good conditions.

My family are pretty seasoned road travelers and snowboard each over 150 days a year. You will be exhausted. We will be tired too......

Do it, it will be fun either way, win or lose its a great life experience. Pm me if you want my info to follow me with the FB updates...... You will see us on the epic race leader board. I will at least promise you that.

Edit.... Ok so my wife only does 50-70 days. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
For me the big red flag is your underestimated driving times. Where did you get them? Just noticed this one:

> 1st-kirkwood, then drive 5 hours to park city

Google maps puts that at 9 hours. You're crossing the whole of Nevada.

Have you ever driven long distances by yourself? Have you even driven in snow?

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
You need to be careful with the European roads too. A lot of them in winter will be closed, you will have to be on the main expressways to be sure. It worries me and I drive on snow packed roads on a daily basis 6 months out of the year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That right there makes me think to say no. Unless you have done a bunch of non-trip snowboard in a local resort, I read this to mean that you are quite a beginner. If so, I think your skill level would severely reduce the enjoyment of the trip - while ability is not a requirement per se for the competition, riding a different mountain for the first time all the time, mostly in sub-optimal conditions and with little rest will be pretty rough. It also greatly reduces your injury risk. It will also do nothing to advance your riding.

I hate to discourage an enthusiastic noob (if that is what you are - otherwise disregard this post), but I really do not see the upside for you in doing this.
This post really helped. I am considered a noob in snowboarding, I guess, but I've seemed to pick it up really quick as I do all sorts of board things down here (Skimboarding, Skating, Freebording, wake/long). I do share your concern about the risk of injury though.

I do not think the 2 weeks layover would be bad as one of the resorts in Euro doesn't open until Dec 22nd (would be my last day).

Thank you Argo/others for providing insight on the road conditions/ect. I have never driven in large snow (just fluff/sprinkles). Based on your posts, and the fact that I will piss off my employer/probably never recouperate my initial costs of 6k if you factor in wages/ect missed, I do not think I will be participating in the race this year.

I will be in Breck for the next week starting Saturday if anyone wants to meet up. Like I said, I might have some rust, but by the end of my first trip, I was ripping.

Thanks all, and see you when I move to the NW in 2014!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
if you are pretty much a beginner i would not spend all that driving time, relocating time, gas, energy trying to hit ten different places...pick 1 or 2 and work your way up on a given mountain...ride, rest, repeat..just my .02

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I know 4 others doing it that I have had written or spoken conversation with. all plan to be done by Christmas.

The killer for mosts plans is the Midwest. It will likely open after your dates.

Alta is not on the pass...
That's right I'm thinking the Mountain Collective which is what my friends are doing.

I got a bun in the oven so I can't go ...:thumbsdown:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts