Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Im Paul and I live in Australia. Im relatively new to snowboarding having just completed my third snowboarding experience across 5-6 years. After my most recent trip something clicked and I am now super hooked on snowboarding. Ive been doing heaps of research on boards and have seen some great advice offered to others on here and think I need the same to wade through all the information out there. Im sure you guys get this a lot but any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

My specs are as follows;
174cm tall
83kg

I rode a rental 154cm board recently and enjoyed it but im ready to buy my own board. Ive done heaps of research and I like the look of a couple of K2 boards. I would describe myself as an all mountain rider. I enjoyed doing tricks in the park but also like free riding, so im looking for a board that can conquer both.

Ive looked at the 2014 K2 Ultra dream and K2 Raygun. I like the look of both but I have a few concerns. The raygun looks awesome but Im worried about its durability as some reviewers have said it dings easily. Also of concern is size. With my height and weight a 156cm board is recommended but Ive never ridden that large. The Ultra Dream seems sturdier but is a step up in price which I would be willing to make if its worth it. I plan to do a trip to either Canada or Japan at the end of the year and would also look to do some more trips here in Australia and over in New Zealand if that helps. I managed on my recent trip to land some 180's, 360's and various grinds and presses as well as some carving at Mt Perisher. If anyone can offer recommendations on these boards and what size I should get Id be super grateful. Alternatively if anyone knows another board that would be more suited im happy to hear from them as well.

A massive thanks in advance!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey Paul,

Bit of trans-tasman advice (I'm a pomme living in NZ), I haven't ridden the boards you are looking at but my friend owns the raygun, he is a little more park orientated and hasn't had any dings out of the usual ones picked up on the lifts, boxes and rogue rocks.

In terms of size I am a little heavier than you (85kg) and ride a 157.5 without any issues, if anything its too small for any hard charging but that isn't my style of riding. If you are happy on a 154 then stick with it, but I would suggest going up to the 156cm as it will give you a little more edge as your confidence grows and is still plenty small enough to spin and play on. Don't worry you won't suddenly be flying out of control jumping up a bit in size. If in doubt beg, rent, borrow and steal to see what works (don't steal unless you are taking from the rich to give to the poor)

enjoy, let me know if you guys get any snow over in Ozz, we are struggling this season in NZ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sam thats awesome to hear about the raygun. I liked the ultra dream as it has bambooyah and is sintered (which if I have read correctly makes it stronger?). Thanks for the advice about the size too. I would be happy to get the 156cm if its still going to be a fun ride.

As far as snow goes I live in QLD which = zero snow. I just got back from Perisher Saturday and they had 2 decent dumps the week I was there (one the day we left unfortunately). It melts so quick though as the days have been so warm with zero cloud cover so the arvos at the lower areas are pretty crap. Not sure what its like there at the moment. That sucks about NZ mate. My mate just got back from over there yesterday and he said the exact same thing. Hopefully a massive dump of snow is heading your way soon!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks Sam thats awesome to hear about the raygun. I liked the ultra dream as it has bambooyah and is sintered (which if I have read correctly makes it stronger?). Thanks for the advice about the size too. I would be happy to get the 156cm if its still going to be a fun ride.

As far as snow goes I live in QLD which = zero snow. I just got back from Perisher Saturday and they had 2 decent dumps the week I was there (one the day we left unfortunately). It melts so quick though as the days have been so warm with zero cloud cover so the arvos at the lower areas are pretty crap. Not sure what its like there at the moment. That sucks about NZ mate. My mate just got back from over there yesterday and he said the exact same thing. Hopefully a massive dump of snow is heading your way soon!

Thanks again!
Stick with the raygun or something similar, the ultradream is doable but its really a pow charging board. Since your just starting out, your probably gonna wish you had a softer flex when you start to get the hang of things and want too try new things out.

Bamboo seems overhyped, BA got a review on the fastplant where he talks about bamboo cores, scour his website for some reviews before you buy....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated. Have pretty much settled on the raygun. Now to find someone selling it for a decent price!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts