Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Ride Algorythm/ Salomon Dialogue/ Ride A8
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Third method, which was what I did:
1. Apply the first layer of epoxy, let cure but not fully.
2. Put fiberglass cloth on top, saturate with epoxy, let cure fully.
3. Add 2-3 more coats of epoxy to fill the weave of the cloth.
4. Sand lightly.
Since I need to sand the board and put on a second coat of epoxy, and also since that the season is mostly ended, I decided to follow Aracan's suggestion to put on some fiberglass cloth. This is what it looks like right now (step 2). After it is cured, I am going to apply epoxy again to cover the weave of the cloth, and hopefully, it will look better at that time.

I think one thing that can be improved might be the color....does anyone have any suggestion on some painting that I can use to make the fixed part black?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Since I need to sand the board and put on a second coat of epoxy, and also since that the season is mostly ended, I decided to follow Aracan's suggestion to put on some fiberglass cloth. This is what it looks like right now (step 2). After it is cured, I am going to apply epoxy again to cover the weave of the cloth, and hopefully, it will look better at that time.

I think one thing that can be improved might be the color....does anyone have any suggestion on some painting that I can use to make the fixed part black?
To add. I have some touch-up paint for my car, which has black paint. I am wondering if it might worth trying.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You want to at least try to match flat or gloss paint. Most touchup paint are gloss, but check.

Tbh you could have sanded down the epoxy and painted over the first time you fixed it. Now, I don't know if that's a touch-up paint job. You might get a better result just stickering over.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Tried my best to make it smoother. I guess this will be the final result. Honestly, I am not a fan of putting stickers on the board, so I guess this is going to be a signature on my board. At least I will be able to prove this is my baord if someone steals it lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would you suggest clamping when doing the first layer to ensure a flat surface? Sorry I am quite worried if I will fuck up my board, though I think this should go well. I just want to make sure I do it right :\ I am planning to do this on the weekends and maybe film a video of it. If this goes well then other people that run into the same problems may have some video reference :)
Clamp for sure! I was a board tech for 6 years at a shop, and the clamping is very important. Here's what I would do:
1. Make sure your board is room temperature (or warmer for at least 24 hours)
2. Clean up the damaged area with a pocket knife, razor blade etc. Just get any loose material out of there
3. Using masking or duck tape, tape off the areas around the damaged area. This way if the epoxy wanders out of the zone you will have a clean end point.
4. Heat up the area a little bit with a hairdryer before applying epoxy
5. Mix and apply a generous amount of epoxy and apply to the damaged areas using a popsicle stick or cotton swab stick (without the cotton tip.) You can pry open the damaged areas with a pocket knife a to allow the epoxy to seep into the damaged areas. I've been using JB weld KwikWeld Steel Reinforced Epoxy for my repairs and have been very happy.
6. Before you clamp, tape down two metal scrapers (one on top and one on bottom) of the damaged area. You don't want to clamp directly onto the board if possible. If you don't have metal scrapers and thin scrap metal will work or plastic wax scrapers.
7. Clamp that sucker down with as many clamps as you have. For the damage on your nose, I'd use at least 4- 6 small C-Clamps to make sure the pressure is even.
8. Let it sit at room temp of at least 24 hours (or whatever the epoxy brand recommends)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi everyone,

I finally finish all the work to repair the damage and I really appreciate everyone's input. I kinda want to sum up what I have used and what I did to fix this. I learned a lot and did a lot of things that I have never done before.

Epoxy: J-B Weld 8272 MarineWeld Marine Epoxy
Fiberglass cloth: Bondo Fiberglass Cloth
Enamel paint markers: Testors EPM25-2549 (Flat Black)

1. I applied epoxy with a razor and use the razor to remove excess epoxy. I did not clamp because most of the damaged pieces are dangling so they are removed. If you want the peeled top sheet to be bonded back to the board, then clamping is probably necessary to give the best result.

2. A razor and a wipe are good things to keep the epoxy away from the edges.

3. I let the epoxy cured and sanded the epoxy. Apply a bit of new epoxy and put a fiberglass cloth on top of it, and then again apply epoxy on top of it.

4. I eventually put about 1-2 more epoxy coating to fill the weaves of the fiberglass cloth.

5. I sand the surface again before I put on the paint

6. I checked options for painting, which are spray, paint bottle (need brush or applicator), paint marker. For convenience, I bought the enamel paint markers from Testors and I think the result is not bad.

Hope this will help someone that runs into the same issue :)

Attachments

21 - 27 of 27 Posts