Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the smart phones and apps out there everyone is getting there top speed. But I feel some people are looking a kph instead of mph b/c I have heard some people throw around speeds in the 60's. My top speed at 6'1 230lbs on an icy east coast trail was 57.5 mph. I thought that was fast untill someone half my size said they hit 63mph. So if you know your real mph top speed share it and let's have a online race. Honor system remember your only cheating yourself...HA

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Lol last GPS track said my top speed was 1900 km/h... I love my GPS tracking software (trekbuddy stores .gpx files that I upload to garmin connect), but it has to be taken with a grain of salt. Pretty much every day I'm on the slopes I have a few corrected peaks in the 70-80 km/h range, but I don't consider it valid unless it shows a steady speed instead of just a peak.

Besides, I'm way more interested in seeing where I went on the hill, and looking at my total mileage and vert.

I wouldn't worry so much about top speed. I'm not running gates on my board (anymore) so it doesn't really matter... At the end of the day it's how dead I feel and how big the smile is on my face. :D

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've tried using a handheld GPS that gave real time speed, but didn't record top speed (ie; you had to look at it on the fly). It seemed to give consistent readouts. As I recall, consistent reads were; carving a green run : 27 mph (easy to watch the GPS), carving a blue : 37 mph (harder to take eyes off run to see GPS), carving a black : 47 mph (could barely spare a glance at that speed), faster parts of the black : ?? (couldn't spare a second to look).

It matches dead on with a car's speedometer, too. Seems accurate on a plane, too. Pretty cool to see exactly where you are flying over...at 40,000 feet and 540 mph.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Size and weigh definitely matter more than anything.

Roll a boulder and a pebble down a hill at the same time and see which one gets to the bottom first.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
I'm not a physicist but I'd wager a gentleman's bet that a rider's weight is really not very significant; most of us can "point it" and straightline conditions that would destroy a novice rider no matter his size. Board length, snow conditions, wax, rider ability, etc., are probably all more meaningful than weight/mass.

Also, I have heard that these handheld GPS and especially the apps in your smartphone really don't provide an accurate measure of speed in three dimensions; that is, they perform reasonably accurate while tracking your vehicle speed on a (relatively) flat surface street or highway, but once you put yourself on the snowboard at a 30- or 40-degree incline its nowhere near as reliable.

Case in point I saw someone say their crazy friend hit like 73mph on a Never Summer Evo. I call bullshit on that. 73mph is approaching olympic GS speed (~80 mph) there is no way anyone on this forum is doing that on an Evo. So, take these speed things with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
592 Posts
but it is a good comparison. The momentum of a heavier object alone gives it an advantage. Add in wind resistance and the advantage is significant.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Also, I have heard that these handheld GPS and especially the apps in your smartphone really don't provide an accurate measure of speed in three dimensions; that is, they perform reasonably accurate while tracking your vehicle speed on a (relatively) flat surface street or highway, but once you put yourself on the snowboard at a 30- or 40-degree incline its nowhere near as reliable.
Not sure about the others, but the Garmin Connect website corrects for altitude based on (I think) USGS survey data. It's a simple calculation really, so the website takes the tracklogs uploaded by a Garmin device (or in my case a smartphone using trekbuddy to record a .gpx datalog) and corrects it.

I'm a bomber, and I think the fastest I've hit according to the GPS (again looking at a pair of points instead of just one peak on the graph) would be about 80 km/h. That seems totally reasonable to me if the GS skiers are doing 80 MPH (125 km/h or so).

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
but it is a good comparison. The momentum of a heavier object alone gives it an advantage. Add in wind resistance and the advantage is significant.
Didn't you guys do that experiment in grade school where you drop a book and a pencil and they both land at the same time? Mass has nothing to do with top speed. Same with cars. The formula for working out top speed of a car is HP x effective frontal area (which can be reduced with various aerodynamics of course). Top speed of a snowboard would have something to do with slope angle X friction (minimal) X frontal area of the boarder.

I guess what I'm getting at is if we lined up a few of us at a starting gate, all riding the same board, with the same wax job, and we were all the same size in frontal area, but not mass, we would all hit the same speed going down the hill.

Otherwise all the ski racers would be 7'0" 400 pound beasts...

·
Registered
40 Posts
hmm, I wonder what the factors are. Drop them from the same level and they fall at the same rate.
The rolling resistance would be lower for the boulder and the boulder would carry more momentum, there's less slowing it down, therefore it arrives at the bottom first.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I have no mobile phone because I don't like them. Hence I have never measured my speed.

I would say I go pretty fast and have never been overtaken on the steeps while going full pelt. I know I am maching when my jacket starts to ripple and flap a certain way.

I feel satisfied when I get good turns in, or a sweet grab off a natural feature or a nice clean 360 nailing the landing and for the most part no one else will ever see those turns or the lines because I am off the beaten track (and don't take much footage).

I know when I got it right and thats a great buzz.

For me its the quality of my boarding not the speed or milage that counts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like a challenge that needs empirical proof.

What sized bindings do I need to get to test this for:

A. The boulder
B. The pebble
C. A labrador retriever (got to have a control)

·
Registered
756 Posts
They are fairly close I think..

60-70 MPH is not that uncommon for boarders, honestly..
nice flat hard-pack groomers, it's not really that scary.

Skiers even go faster.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
1 - 20 of 74 Posts