Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a hard time deciding between a 165 and a 168 size board. The board will mostly be meant for freeride allmountain style riding (no park/pipe). My weight is 210lbs and I'm 6'1" with a size 11 boot. Skill level (being modest) I would consider myself intermediate. I'd like your honest opinions because the sales guys are eager to push the last of their inventories on me. Some have 165 and others only have 168 so you feel my dilemma.

I'm looking at a freeride board but don't want to get into the details of manufacturer too much. I'd like to try and consider just the length only here..if that's possible. haha

What would you choose/suggest? 165 or 168?

Oh...i've also checked with all the calculators too but wanted your rider experiences.

·
Registered
251 Posts
no reason for you to ride a board that long. I would demo a 159 or 160 and see what you think. I´m 6´1-230lbs size 11 boot and i ride 157 for everything, but even smaller for park......calculators HA thats a joke right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the votes and responses. I admit I'm a bit of a tool and clueless sometimes when it comes to this shtuff since I havent' bought new gear in years and don't keep up on the latest. That's what forums are for. Thanks guys!

I'm on the west coast/Pacific NW. Hood/Bachelor areas

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
I'm about your size, inch shorter but same weight and boot size. I wouldn't ride anything bigger than a 165 and even that length I don't think I'd really want to ride. I think both of these are probably too long for you unless you're riding powder all the time. I wouldn't go bigger than the 65 no matter what, but if I were you I'd try to stay around 161.

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
RIding all that heavy pow, a 165 will be fun.

Try to demo some boards. Try a bunch of sizes, with waists that fit your foot and weight.

Try a NUG too.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm about the same size as OP (little lighter) and I would only even consider 165 cm+ if I was consistently riding 4 ft+ deep powder. I ride a 163 fine in depths up to about 5 ft...pretty sure anything longer would exponentially affect agility in the lower depths.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My opinion is to stay as short as you can get away with. More manuverability. For example: I plan on having two boards a 154 true twin for groomers and park and a 156-157 set back for powder.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Meh, all the long board hate here lol. I'm 5'7", 170 lb riding a 159 and was considering a Kessler 163 for a while (still am). A longer board will make a difference when carving and in the powder, shorter will be easier to turn quick through the trees/moguls and obviously for spin jumps.

Any way you could demo a few?

For what it's worth the last calc I used actually picked 159cm for my board, and that just happens to be what I picked based on the manufacturers weight range, and my riding style.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Meh, all the long board hate here lol. I'm 5'7", 170 lb riding a 159 and was considering a Kessler 163 for a while (still am). A longer board will make a difference when carving and in the powder, shorter will be easier to turn quick through the trees/moguls and obviously for spin jumps.

Any way you could demo a few?

For what it's worth the last calc I used actually picked 159cm for my board, and that just happens to be what I picked based on the manufacturers weight range, and my riding style.

Haha I'm feeling the hate on the long boards too. But I do appreciate ALL the feedback/responses and votes.

Well just for the record I settled on the 165 and found a closeout deal on some stiff bindings too.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Haha I'm feeling the hate on the long boards too. But I do appreciate ALL the feedback/responses and votes.

Well just for the record I settled on the 165 and found a closeout deal on some stiff bindings too.
I think you'll probably be happy with that. Now can you let the cat out of the bag and tell us the board/model?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you'll probably be happy with that. Now can you let the cat out of the bag and tell us the board/model?
Oh yeah! Sorry Guys

Picked up a 2012 Never Summer Premier F1 (165) and some 2012 Burton Diode Reflex Bindings.

Maybe I should look for a lock now. LOL

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Yeah I ride a Burton T7 ($950) and C60 EST bindings ($550 or so)... I lock up my board if I'm going around the corner to fart.

Was thinking about diodes for another board I was thinking about, but not so sure about the reflex. I wish I could just take my C60 ESTs and use them on a non-EST board. DAMN YOU BURTON!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts