Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Hope I'm posting in the right spot.
Brand new to this site, relatively new to snowboarding.
Names TY. I grew up in central Oregon enjoying the outdoors but never got into snowboarding.
I joined the Army when I was 22 and fortunately I ended up on Colorado.
Some friends got me into snowboarding last year so i was just renting and hitting up Loveland.
Now that they've got me hooked I've decided it'd be worth buying my own gear!
So they've steered me in the right direction on gear but I'm hoping i could get some specifics from ya'll.
I'm 6' 205 lbs and wear a size 13. I know i'll need a wide board. Thinking a 162W-165W would be about right????
I just like cruising the groomers and attempting to bomb some steeps but i really want to get into freestyle.
This year i want to get good at Butters, Presses.. All the basic tricks really.
So i'm thinking an all mountain/freestyle would be ideal. Medium flex? Bindings & boots with medium stiffness?
Any tips and advice on where to start would be super appreciated! Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I would recommend a Rome Mod Rocker, would be a great board for buttering and general park laps. You can find last years models for super cheap. I saw a bunch of them at Colorado Ski & Golf off Havana for like $225 brand new. I would start getting fit for boots, you say your a size 13 but I bet if you get a boot fitter who knows what they are doing you may be surprised what size you will actually be (11.5 seems doable)

·
Registered
488 Posts
I would recommend a Rome Mod Rocker, would be a great board for buttering and general park laps. You can find last years models for super cheap. I saw a bunch of them at Colorado Ski & Golf off Havana for like $225 brand new. I would start getting fit for boots, you say your a size 13 but I bet if you get a boot fitter who knows what they are doing you may be surprised what size you will actually be (11.5 seems doable)
As far as board sizing I would get a 159cm for your weight and what you want to do. No need to get anything as big as your thinking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Free-style boarders tend to go down on size, so 159 or there abouts. The smaller the board the easier it is to spin. Burton Malvitas for bindings.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
start with your boots.

really need to copy and paste from wiredsport:
Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).
also measure the width of your feet. and post the info here: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boots/187194-petition-more-wide-snowboard-boot-options.html

with size 13 boots and being 6ft tall, I have a strong inkling that you have wide feet rather than huge feet. after that you can get your bindings/board in wides/non wides if you don't have to.

edit: since you're in colorado go to a real shop with trusted boot fitters. not your local big5

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Boots, head to a real shop and get fitted. End of discussion there.

Bindings. My top picks for what you like are Now Selects, Ride rodeos, and Rome DODs.

Boards look at an Arbor Element, Ride Burnout, or Rome Mod Rocker.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
To get what length your board should be, you need to stay behind the board, while it's vertical. A tip of board nose should be between your chin and nose.
When oh when is this "myth" of how to select the correct size of board ever going to die !!!!!!!!!!

Your chin and nose have F&#@ ALL to do with the correct size of board.

Correct board size is eventually a personal preference, but initially, all board selections are done by one's weight. How much you weigh determines an approximate size of board for any given individual.

PB, please do not continue to spew this nonsence.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
PB:

Please, please spend some time doing some reading on this forum about such matters.

The WORST thing you can do as a Newbie to this site is to serve up "information" to another Newbie that is WRONG.

Leg length means nothing with regards to board size.

I'll say it again, your weight, is the factor that determines what size of board to consider.

Not your chin, your nose, you leg length, none of these are a factor.!!!!!!

:facepalm3::gaah:

·
Registered
11 Posts
PB:

Please, please spend some time doing some reading on this forum about such matters.

The WORST thing you can do as a Newbie to this site is to serve up "information" to another Newbie that is WRONG.

Leg length means nothing with regards to board size.

I'll say it again, your weight, is the factor that determines what size of board to consider.

Not your chin, your nose, you leg length, none of these are a factor.!!!!!!

:facepalm3::gaah:
Ok, man, may be you're right. Nose factor worked for me, when I was choosing a board. Riding for several years and my board is well-controled on any slope.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Ok, man, may be you're right. Nose factor worked for me, when I was choosing a board. Riding for several years and my board is well-controled on any slope.
Maybe? You been living under a rock? Go to any snowboard brand's website and look up the specs. If they offer sizing recommendations it'll be in the form of a weight range:

https://www.burton.com/us/en/burton-the-brushie-snowboard/H17-180191.html?dwvar_H17-180191_variationColor=18019100000157&cgid=mens-snowboarding

Apparently I'm too heavy for a 157 Brushie.

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Hi Gypsy,

So stoked that you are getting your first package. This is where the fun graph spikes!

We will try to convince you not to select a board based on tip to tip length. That length will vary greatly depending on the model. Rider height is not a factor in sizing a snowboard. Getting your foot size right will be the best thing we can do together right now.

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts