Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Sorry to make such a topic which I see come here alot.
Let me introduce myself (I read alot here but never posted before). I come from the Netherlands and am 35 years old. So mostly ski in the alpes.

My shoe size is 12 so no small boards for me. ;-) I mostly do groomed runs with friends but also play outside the groomers but more side-country (if that is a thing) then back-country. Just the feel of untouched snow is ok for now. :)
I like to play with my board, but I'm not really a park person.

Thus far I have 7 years of experience (not that much as I only ride 2 weeks a year) on a Rossignol District camber (old board) which is losing its flex. A very nice board to learn on and so far blue, red, black runs are no problem at all.
I really like the camber, was a bit more interesting to learn on and like the control at curves on higher speed as well.

What did I do this far to come to a selection. I tried some boards on a boardersnight here and came to a few brands I like and tried some versions.
I've tried:

the Lib Tech Orca - First try ever at a Rocker. So nice! Really like this board, so easy to move around on. But I do not think I want a Rocker and lose the control at higher speeds...
the Bataleon Omni - Not really my thing, I like to feel an edge.
the Capita Snowboard of Death (or something? - It's ok.....
the Capita Mercury - Maybe a bit above my abilties, I did not like the pure aggresiveness. Had the feeling it was more important where the board wanted to go and not what I wanted. ;-) But when I rode it more active it was a nice board, but not what I am looking for.
the Capita Super DoA - I so like this board. So much fun to play with, was able to make little jumps with it, good manoeuvrability and awesome to look at. A big thumbs up.
the Jones Mountain Twin (not ultra, do want to try it) - I really loved this board, it felt a bit faster and easier to move around with than the Super DoA. Could easily be my next board.
the Jones Frontier - Same as the Mountain Twin.... the hard part and maybe my newbie ness is at fault here is that I barely could feel the difference with the Mountain Twin (but the run is only 300 meters long...) I do like the graphics of the mountain twin more. But heard that one is more freestyle and this one is more freeride. I guess Im more in the freeride section?
the Jones Flagship - Was some time ago I tried this one. Was a very nice board, but read on the internet that its a board for the back country and for more advanced riders. Too bad, liked the graphics. :)
K2 Simple Pleasures - Nice board, not really my thing. Like it a bit bigger.

So... too be honest, whats left after these sessions. I think the Capita Super DoA and the Jones Frontier or MT.
I also really like these companies because of their enviromental stance. I do think that the Super DoA might be more rugged and made from better materials. The frontier felt so flimsy when I hit on it with my hand. But it can also be the rocker shovel nose that is causing this.

The Orca is also nice, but as I said.. im not sure if I should take a rocker oriented board (hybrid... but still rocker at the feet).
Any thoughts on making a good choice? Or am I min-maxing to hard now for my usage and experience.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Angry has reviewed the mercury as a solid all mountain board. The DOA has that reputation as well and so does the Jones mountain twin.

What I'm trying to say here is that you really can't go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Angry has reviewed the mercury as a solid all mountain board. The DOA has that reputation as well and so does the Jones mountain twin.

What I'm trying to say here is that you really can't go wrong with any of them.
Thank you for telling me what I really try to tell myself. They are all good and I will have loads of fun on all.
But then I get into a loop that one has to be better for me and not stopping me in becoming a better rider.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Neither DOA nor Jones Mountain Twin will prevent you to become a better rider. I'm rather curious why two boards on the top of your list are twins if you don't consider yourself a park person? Do you ride switch or plan to learn riding switch at least? That said having a twin board could motivate you to learn some tricks and actually become a better overall rider. But if that's not your intention maybe you should look for a directional freeride board.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My riding style kinda matches your...i made a post the other day about Jones boards because that's where my head was at too. There were some good suggestions in there as well. I don't plan on riding switch much, so i'm looking more directional. If i went twin I'd prob go with the ultra mtn twin because i like a stiffer board. For directional i'm still trying to decide between the Rome Blur or Arbor Annex. I like the Lib Lost Rocket but the top sheet reminds me of something my younger nephew would like...kinda tacky.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Neither DOA nor Jones Mountain Twin will prevent you to become a better rider. I'm rather curious why two boards on the top of your list are twins if you don't consider yourself a park person? Do you ride switch or plan to learn riding switch at least? That said having a twin board could motivate you to learn some tricks and actually become a better overall rider. But if that's not your intention maybe you should look for a directional freeride board.
I have a twin right now and while I do not really ride switch (other then, yeah... lets float to the left a bit and initiate a turn to go down) yet. And Im not sure if Im really interested in doing it somewhere in the future. But does the twin of the mountain twin (which has a minor setback) hurt you when doing groomers instead of a more free ride oriented board like the frontier (or flag ship).

But it's not that I intentional look for a twin snowboard. The only tricks I would be doing might be a butter or a little jump.

My riding style kinda matches your...i made a post the other day about Jones boards because that's where my head was at too. There were some good suggestions in there as well. I don't plan on riding switch much, so i'm looking more directional. If i went twin I'd prob go with the ultra mtn twin because i like a stiffer board. For directional i'm still trying to decide between the Rome Blur or Arbor Annex. I like the Lib Lost Rocket but the top sheet reminds me of something my younger nephew would like...kinda tacky.
Yeah I saw your post but was not sure if we were doing the same. :)
Tonight there is another boarders night and Rome is there as well (don't know of Arbor). Might as well try it.

At some point we just have to choose and enjoy right. Thanks for the suggestions very curious how it will perform.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am stuck in a similar situation. I suck at choosing a board, and given my lack of experience probably wont make a difference. I like the graphic of the Capita DOA, was also considering a Jones MT, or even the NeverSummer Proto Type II. I mostly ride groomers, not much switch tho.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The signal yup is on sale right now as well for 360 and that's had some pretty rave reviews. If you're not really riding much switch, then that's a decent option as well.

I've actually ridden it switch a bit. It's kinda funny to do because the nose is much softer, but I kinda enjoyed it to be honest.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I’d snag this MT from snowcountry.nl 20% off now if you liked it that much. You can’t go wrong with it and it has consistently very solid reviews. And if you didn’t like it, the resell for a good price won’t be a problem.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’d snag this MT from snowcountry.nl 20% off now if you liked it that much. You can’t go wrong with it and it has consistently very solid reviews. And if you didn’t like it, the resell for a good price won’t be a problem.
Lol, unless my conversion is off these boards cost more than in USD.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Lol, unless my conversion is off these boards cost more than in USD.
Yup, we pay more for most brands in Europe with some exceptions like Rossi or Nidecker. Take Niche as an example - they produce it in Austria and we pay waay more for them than you in the US.
Though I’ve found some crazy deals today so I’m throwing away some pieces of furniture to stock them haha

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
I also really like these companies because of their enviromental stance. I do think that the Super DoA might be more rugged and made from better materials. The frontier felt so flimsy when I hit on it with my hand. But it can also be the rocker shovel nose that is causing this.
Look into Niche Snowboards if their environmental practices are important to you, the Pyre would be a good fit if you're not too worried about switch riding. It can ride switch, but given the shape obviously doesn't excel at it. Great all mountain board otherwise, and plenty wide for your size 12s.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Thanks for the response. So yesterday I was able to try alot of boards. Like Nidecker (Merc I believe), Niche Story, Jones Frontier (again), Jones Ultra Mountain Twin, Jones Mountain Twin, Yes Optimistic (appearantly Nidecker, Jones and Yes have the same board company?), Ride Beserker and the Rome Blur.

There were some I really really liked but also I really did not have a feel with. The ones I did not like:

Jones Ultra Mountain Twin, really wanted to like it. But too stiff for what I want. I noticed that in bad terrain I have to keep focus. Maybe I want something more forgiving.
Nidecker and Niche, Ride, Rome. All very good boards. But did I noticed more feeling with the Jones boards.

Which did I like:

Jones Mountain Twin, alot of playfulness in it, love the topsheet and so light compared to my old board.
Jones Frontier, maybe a bit more for speed? Really loved it as well, the topsheet is not my taste perse. But I dig te mountains.
Yes Optimistic, a bit shorter and fatter... liked it but could only do one meager run with is so not sure how I really like it. But it was very good in carving. I could totally feel that.
Capita Super DoA, did not try it yesterday but I really like that board. Also I felt it was a bit better build than the Jones boards, but that could be just me. It is the most expensive one.

@Phedder thanks for the Niche suggestions. I did not try the Pyre too bad. :( Maybe I will sometime but I feel like I just have to make a choice at this point.
@Yeahti87 Wow! The Mountain Twin is almost as expensive as the Frontier there! Good find! Now its even more tempting to take it towards the Frontier (finding the Mountain Twin looks wise more to my pleasing).

So yeah....after all the testing I think it will either be the Mountain Twin or the Frontier. The rest is also very fun. But with those boards I felt right at home. I don't know why.
When I ask for information about which to take the answer was switching from: Take the Frontier to no take the Mountain Twin (same stand). Then they went on shitting on the other for making that choice. ;-)

So I will have to do some soulsearching. Either the Mountain Twin or the Frontier (or the Capita Super DoA... why forgot I that one...) where I am affraid that I will gimp myself with speed and off-piste or the Frontier where I am affraid I gimp myself in the more playfulness of the board. Leaning more towards the Frontier as it seems to be more with what I want to do (groomers, a bit off piste and sometimes playing around) but the mountain twin is such a beautiful board.

And this is how I do all my decisions unfortunatly...would really help if I would just pick something.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Isn't the super DOA a stiffer version of the DOA? I'm not sure that's going to be it if you wanted something less stiff, no?

Regardless, the mountain twin is consistently rated one of the top all mountain boards and the capita mercury and DOA are also on those lists. Can't really go wrong so trust what you felt!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What were your thoughts on the Blur?
@LightninSVT Very good in carving. Had the same feeling with the optimistic but not very wide for my feet. But I do see now that they are also in 164w, weird that the guy at the stand didnt tell me that......

@ridethecliche Its not that stiff actually. Or I didnt experience it as stiff. When I look it up it says flex: 6. Yeah I read so much good stuff on all those boards. I found the mercury a bit too agressive for my liking by the way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For future reference, my choice has landed on the Jones Frontier 164w.
Are there a lot of more boards that can do the same or do a better job, yes. But this was the board that I felt the most connection with and that kept being on my mind.

That is also an important factor I think. Get the board you like and you feel the most comortable with.
Thanks all for the information, really really appreciate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just curious because I am in a similar situation as your were i.e. ultra mountain twin, mountain twin, or frontier. I started looking at the Nitro Magnum due to a recommendation I got, but just couldn't stand the design of it, but it did lead me on to rocker-camber-rocker profiles which sounded more forgiving.
Anyhow, I saw you chose the 164W Jones Frontier. You also have size 12... curious about your weight. I'm around 95 on a "good day". Have you tried it out more now (despite Covid)? Any regrets? Stiff enough (6 instead of the MT which has 7)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just curious because I am in a similar situation as your were i.e. ultra mountain twin, mountain twin, or frontier. I started looking at the Nitro Magnum due to a recommendation I got, but just couldn't stand the design of it, but it did lead me on to rocker-camber-rocker profiles which sounded more forgiving.
Anyhow, I saw you chose the 164W Jones Frontier. You also have size 12... curious about your weight. I'm around 95 on a "good day". Have you tried it out more now (despite Covid)? Any regrets? Stiff enough (6 instead of the MT which has 7)
Have you even proper measured your feet? Do that first and then buy the correct size boots. If you need any help and depending on where you live in Sweden I might be able to help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Im 90 kg's naked on a bad day, which I barely do when Im snowboarding. ;-)
I have tried it out 3 weeks in total in 2020. Last week was the week when COVID was declared a pandemic and everything closed right after I got back.

I really love the board, do not regret my decision at all. I thought I even went with the 161W, after a thorough conversation with the shop owner (renowned in The Netherlands as a valid source) as I like the more lively attitude. Was REALLY afraid that I took it too short and it would affect stability. But I had a great time boarding with it and my friends who are avid skiers didn't have too much of a burden of my a bit slower speed I guess.

If Im really honest I didn't really notice the difference of the MT and the Frontier TOO much in the two nights I compared them side by side in an indoor skihal. I wouldn't fuss too much about it. I also have the Burton Step-On, really happy with those as well.

Will double check the size of my board later today and update. If it is a 161W then my only regret is not getting a 164W. Not sure if I need it, but. that was the thing I fuzzed most about and probably will always be in my mind. The what if's. Do I want more manoeuvrability or better float on off-piste ( which I don't do a lot )

Oh.... and don't think too long about keeping the topsheet perfect. Other people will ruin it while waiting in the ski lift line for you. If you want a asshole proof topsheet go with NeverSummer. ;) (my topsheet is full of scratches after one season)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts