Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok sounds like both are good choices then. Both have the RCR bottom and the “3D nose/tail” so probably many similarities too from a non expert perspective. Have been renting in the alps and previously owned a Lamar which I now realize was a powder board.
I will do some more procrastinating about which board I “need”.... like the jones design though so maybe go wild and just order one without trying.
Can’t be worse than the rentals I have had hopefully.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok sounds like both are good choices then. Both have the RCR bottom and the “3D nose/tail” so probably many similarities too from a non expert perspective. Have been renting in the alps and previously owned a Lamar which I now realize was a powder board.
I will do some more procrastinating about which board I “need”.... like the jones design though so maybe go wild and just order one without trying.
Can’t be worse than the rentals I have had hopefully.
How does your usage look like? Pow? Groomers? Park?
There is a difference in flex. The MT is like a 7 and the Frontier is a 6 in flex. But honestly, you won't notice. What you do notice is when you get the flag ship or the ultra mountain twin. I really felt like that board rode me instead of me it haha.

You are not going to like me, but please also consider the Aviator. It is a bit stiffer but a very nice ride as well (wasn't available when I bought the Frontier).
But if you are a beginner, stick with the Frontier. or MT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you even proper measured your feet? Do that first and then buy the correct size boots. If you need any help and depending on where you live in Sweden I might be able to help.
Yeah I am a size 12 for sure... I am happy with the boots I have to be honest...

·
Registered
6 Posts
How does your usage look like? Pow? Groomers? Park?
There is a difference in flex. The MT is like a 7 and the Frontier is a 6 in flex. But honestly, you won't notice. What you do notice is when you get the flag ship or the ultra mountain twin. I really felt like that board rode me instead of me it haha.

You are not going to like me, but please also consider the Aviator. It is a bit stiffer but a very nice ride as well (wasn't available when I bought the Frontier).
But if you are a beginner, stick with the Frontier. or MT.
I mostly ride groomers and a bit of pow. No park.... just not going to happen at this stage. I guess I am an eternal intermediate rider that likes groomers and pow and despises cat tracks especially at the end of the day. Had a fantastic time in Hemsedal, Norway last year with a pretty soft (Too soft) board which changed my mind about having to have a stiff board because I am heavy (95kg) and 1.88.

I will add the Aviator to my procrastination list, but it looks a little less forgiving ? More for charging and park? And something that may “ride me” too ;-)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I mostly ride groomers and a bit of pow. No park.... just not going to happen at this stage. I guess I am an eternal intermediate rider that likes groomers and pow and despises cat tracks especially at the end of the day. Had a fantastic time in Hemsedal, Norway last year with a pretty soft (Too soft) board which changed my mind about having to have a stiff board because I am heavy (95kg) and 1.88.

I will add the Aviator to my procrastination list, but it looks a little less forgiving ? More for charging and park? And something that may “ride me” too ;-)
The Aviator is stiffer, so less forgiving than the MT or Frontier. I do not believe in Jones boards that are made more for park than for riding groomers or POW. Maybe the MT, but more that its a suitable for the park all mountain board.

You seem to ride it exactly like I do (except that I like cat tracks and ski roads), I really would skip the MT and go for the Frontier. On the Frontier you are sat a little back compared to the MT which can benefit you in POW and also groomers and it is stiff enough to be either forgiving and not being too soft at all as long as you take a 164W (if you really have 12 you need the longhorn series).

When a board is too soft it can also mean that you were too heavy for its specs. I do not think the Frontier as too soft, it is stiffer than my last board (Rossignol District camber which was 13 years old). But not as stiff as the Ultra Mountain Twin which I really felt like I have to be focussed ALL the time to make it work for me where on the MT and Frontier I felt like I could ride more mellow as very aggressive as and when I want.

The Aviator is an unknown territory as I did not ever try it myself, a friend is very enthusiastic about it and it seems a good board between the Frontier and the UMT.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
If you're only getting 10-14 days in a year I'd say between the three you brought up to go for the Frontier. Its my understanding that its the most forgiving and most directional. Since you're not looking for much park riding, there ya go. Stay away from boards like the super doa for what you're looking for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If you're only getting 10-14 days in a year I'd say between the three you brought up to go for the Frontier. Its my understanding that its the most forgiving and most directional. Since you're not looking for much park riding, there ya go. Stay away from boards like the super doa for what you're looking for.
Why not the Super DOA? That was (after the Frontier/MT) my favourite board. It was perfect. Just had more feeling with the Frontier.
And by the way, I resolved this topic by taking the Frontier last year. ;-) Someone boosted this topic with new questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry, I didn't realize this another Zombie....BBRRRRRAAAAAIIIIIIINNNNNNSSSSSSS
Well no worries- I also bought the Frontier now, so your advice is still appreciated ! Now for some bindings. The “simple” choice is to get a pair of matching Jones Mercury bindings (=NOW Drive)
Just concerned they are not adjustable enough and the “Skate tech” looks a little experimental.
Maybe just get some Burton Cartels... any tips?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why not the Super DOA? That was (after the Frontier/MT) my favourite board. It was perfect. Just had more feeling with the Frontier.
And by the way, I resolved this topic by taking the Frontier last year. ;-) Someone boosted this topic with new questions.
Ordered the Frontier now. What bindings do you use?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts