Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola!

I am planning a trip with my friends to mount baker this upcoming January. There will be 9-12 of us.

1) Can you guys give me tips with lodging? From what I understand there are a couple of small communities outside the park (Glacier). So far I like the Snowline Community but I realize they probably won't be any different.

2) Are there any other activities we can do during our stay outside of snowboarding/skiing? We will be there a week. For example, when went to Idaho (our house was there) and skied Jackson/Grand Targhee we also took a day off and went snowmobiling to Yellowstone Park.

3) I know about cell service, any other tips we should be ready for?

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
pm sent

Walking around in the rain looking at old growth...not much to do but look for satchsquatch, elk, cougar or gnarfairy...otherwise meth, pot is legal and drinking, . But if u'all r riding tuff, bakes can wreck and ruin u pretty fast. If the avy risk is mellow/low, you all could rent some BC/avy. Certainly Steven's Pass and BlackComb/Whistler is within striking distance for a day. You could also do Deception Pass and Friday Harbor/San Juan islands (ferry ride) for a day...its like the cape cod of PNW.

You could go into Bham and do some DH biking and brewpubs

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Bring board games and lots of beer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cell coverage was still lacking a couple years ago... find a place with wifi.

The Chair 9 pub seemed to be the only local.

If your into craft beer, the North Fork Brewery is quite good, and venturing a bit further, Bellingham is a cool town. If you wanted more of a rest, you could head down to Seattle or even Portland.

After riding the Okanagan champagne powder, I forgot how deep & heavy baker can get. 3 days and my legs were dead. Bring anti inflammatory meds... and get a place with a hot tub!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Stay away from Seattle, if a day in a city is in the plans take in a NHL hockey game up in Vancouver, or a trip over to Victoria or hell even Whistler isn't that far. Bellingham and Fairhaven are cool places.

As far as things to do on the Mt Baker hwy kinda limited, thats what made BAKER the place to ride back in the day, limited people, no phones (before cellphones), no hotels, powder ALL day not just for an hour, one lodge

1 - 9 of 9 Posts