Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was hoping to get help picking my next board. I've ridden for about 20 years, the last 10+ on a Lib Tech Emma Peel 159. I'm now a father of two (i.e. definitely not hard core), ride about 10 days a year mostly on hard pack, although I like the occasional powder. No real tricks or jumps, mostly carving and going fast. I'm 6.1, 195 lbs. 11.5 Burton boots.

TRS and Travis Rice seem to be universally loved so have been looking at them, but am open to advice. T-Rice seems to have really long edges and is MW so I think I could fit in a 157 (or even 155). For TRS I'm thinking 159MW.

Thoughts / advice would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Irahi

thanks for the tips. Billy Goat looks great but probably too skinny (unless I went for the 162W which seems a bit too long). Darker seems great - possibly a bit too unforgiving? Beast also seems a bit skinny. Any other along those lines? Why do you think that TRice 157 wouldn't work?

· Premium Member
3,800 Posts
You say you want to go fast, carve, and powder when available. At 195lb, all of that points towards the 162. You'll dig trenches on a 162 wide billy goat, or you'd fit on the 162 hot knife but that's a true twin and a little softer.

· The Swiss Miss
7,627 Posts
No real tricks or jumps, mostly carving and going fast. I'm 6.1, 195 lbs. 11.5 Burton boots.

... is MW so I think I could fit in a 157 (or even 155). For TRS I'm thinking 159MW.

Thoughts / advice would be greatly appreciated.
I don’t know these particular boards. Just appears to me that 155-157 is very small for the purpose you mention; those are sizes I ride for carving n charging (I'm 70lb lighter); guy in my pack in your weight range have 164ish boards.

· Registered
975 Posts
I agree with you not needing a trs or t rice. Anything with c3 will be a good choice. Billy goat is a good choice.
Do you think I can fit a 11.5 size boot on a billy goat?
A pic of 11.5 Burton Driver x's on my 159cm Gnu Billy Goat(250mm waist width. If you need the ability to put the board at a greater angle than that you may want to look into some alpine carving gear.

Attachments

· Registered
927 Posts
If you don't ride switch all that much, then the Rice isn't for you. The board is not the most stable things. It's squirely at slower speeds.

My suggestion is a Jamie Lynn. If carving and riding fast is your things, it's a great board. And it is less stiff than the Darker and Billy Goat. The board has the ability to go free style should you choose to, because it has a minimal set back, but the set back is still there for primarily riding regular.

I agree with others though. Rice and TRS are wasted if you aren't planning on jumping to switch often. What's the point? Take advantage of a set back that makes carving and charging hard more fun.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you don't ride switch all that much, then the Rice isn't for you. The board is not the most stable things. It's squirely at slower speeds.

My suggestion is a Jamie Lynn. If carving and riding fast is your things, it's a great board. And it is less stiff than the Darker and Billy Goat. The board has the ability to go free style should you choose to, because it has a minimal set back, but the set back is still there for primarily riding regular.

I agree with others though. Rice and TRS are wasted if you aren't planning on jumping to switch often. What's the point? Take advantage of a set back that makes carving and charging hard more fun.
Thank you for the advice. I've also been looking at the Lando 160 - I think I like everything about it. I'm 100% sure I'm over analyzing this, but considering that I buy boards every 10 years I'm trying to get it right. As of now I think the Lando may be my best bet - sounds stiff but not as stiff, has Mag 0.5 which should be a better deal for CA snow, should be good for carving and powder (the only two things I really do on a board), can be set back 1 inch, and seems like the right size all around. It's not a C3 but I get a sense that it's close and perhaps a bit more forgiving, which may be ok at my old age of 42 (43 by when I get to ride it). The Billy is my second favorite, and Darker still my third.

Still welcome thoughts, and am grateful for all the advice so far.

· Registered
1 Posts
I own the Rice 161.5 HP. I'm 5'10'' 185 with a size 10 boot. You may hear it said that it's a sluggish turner. I have found it to be sluggish. It likes to go straight or do wide radius turns. If you want to do short radius turns you may find yourself skidding a bit. I also found that I can't ollie it to save my life. Perhaps on both accounts I'm just doing it wrong.

Great for bombing though.

· Registered
309 Posts
Thank you for the advice. I've also been looking at the Lando 160 - I think I like everything about it. I'm 100% sure I'm over analyzing this, but considering that I buy boards every 10 years I'm trying to get it right. As of now I think the Lando may be my best bet - sounds stiff but not as stiff, has Mag 0.5 which should be a better deal for CA snow, should be good for carving and powder (the only two things I really do on a board), can be set back 1 inch, and seems like the right size all around. It's not a C3 but I get a sense that it's close and perhaps a bit more forgiving, which may be ok at my old age of 42 (43 by when I get to ride it). The Billy is my second favorite, and Darker still my third.

Still welcome thoughts, and am grateful for all the advice so far.
I had a cambered TRICE and also a C2 rice.
Had a c2 billy goat.
Currently have an xc2 trs and c3 JL fundamnmental.

Like yourself, I came from Camber and learned on a stiff Palmer.

Not a fan of c2 on hardpack at terminal speeds - it just feels loose. But you get used to it and can haul ass as the TRICE is pretty stiff and when waxed properly, the sintered lib bases are skier fast. Float is amazing with c2, but I simply didn't like the profile outside of powder/soft snow and sold both the TRICE and BG.

Xc2 is a Huge improvement over c2 on bulletproof snow--noticeably more precise--- TRS will carve up and hold and edge on anything. Not too sketchy flat basing. Simply more stable. Narrower, Softer and faster edge to edge than TRICE. Awesome board. Both TRICE and TRS have aggressive mtx.

C3 is pretty much the closest thing to camber without full on camber. Theres a slight dip in the middle, but rides like a cambered board. My JL has mellow mtx which many people seem to like as the aggressive mtx can feel "catchy" to some(I like it)

If you're coming from camber, they're all going to feel loose, easier to turn, more playful, and float better in powder as boards these days are much easier to ride and softer for the most part than 10+ years ago.

If it was me, xc2 or c3:happy:---
TRS, BG, Darker, or JL phoenix - whichever you can get the best deal on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.