Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yo! I'm trying to decide on a board and I have a few questions on each. The boards I'm looking are the Saloman Drift Rocker and the Sierra Reverse crew. I have concerns on both, but first a little back-story.

I've been snowboarding for quite a long time. In the past few years though, I've only been going to a resort like once per year. So it's not like I don't have any experience, but I'm definitely not an expert either. Anyway, my bro's coming up during the winter and we're planning on going riding at Alyeska. I also plan on boarding more regularly now. Well, I don't have a board but I also don't have much cash so I'm looking for a reasonably priced board. I'm looking for a decent all around board, but one that does put more emphasis on carving. Oh! Stability at speed is kind of a big deal to me too. The last board I rode didn't feel all that stable when I just went for speed.

As far as the Saloman goes, it seems like an awesome beginner board, but I've heard that you get bored with it which is a pretty big concern for me. I'm not sure how much I'll be hitting up the park, too. Though, it seems like a good board to start out in the park if I'm going to.

The Sierra board seems like it's a little less beginner friendly. Which I don't mind since I'll be getting some practice in anyway. It's something I can grow into rather than out of. I've seen people hit up parks with it too, so it seems at least fine in that regard. I've heard it gets kind of sketchy on ice though. Anyway, I'm wondering about the quality and durability of this board. Does this thing last? Probably one of the big reasons I'd get this board is future proofing. That would be pointless though if it fell apart while riding lol. I'd feel stupid too, because from what I've seen and heard Salomom is tried and true haha.

What are your thoughts on these boards? They're both similarly priced, though the Salomon is slightly more expensive. This is the first board I'm actually buying with specs in mind. Before, I either bought a board semi-randomly or rented/borrowed.

I'd like to throw out there that if you have any suggestions for any other board(s) feel free to shoot them my way. Looking for med flex, sintered base (not super stuck on this especially for my price range), 157-160 cm, preferably twin, and I'm pretty open on whether it's +/- camber or whatever, just not flat. I'm honestly more used to + camber, but these other types seem interesting. I'm trying not to go too much past 200 USD, which is a pretty good part of why the above boards were picked haha!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
If you are only choosing between those two boards, I would go with the Seirra because its more of an all mountain board. From the sound of things an all mountain board would be a better fit then a more park oriented board. You can still hit the park on an all mountain deck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, well I'm not only picking from those boards. They're just higher up on the list and fit my budget of around 200 for the board lol. If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears!

Okay, thanks. Do you have any experience with the Reverse Crew, or Sierra in general? I haven't heard much about them. Would you say this, or any other board by them, is a decent quality board with good durability?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Other members will be around shortly to give you specific information about them. They are both quality boards. When I choose a board I focus on the flex, the profile, the base and the construction. There are tons of really good boards out and you can drive yourself crazy by being too critical. Keep it simple and focus on the things you want most out of your board.

Seeing that you are not a beginner and you'll be riding resorts. I would go with a hybrid camber profile over a rocker board. I think you would enjoy it more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Haha, sounds good, thanks!

I think I'm aiming towards med flex, sintered base (probably more flexible on this), and pretty much anything other than a flat board for profile. Not that I see anything wrong with a flat board, just sticking in my area of experience lol. Leaning towards a twin design. No kidding about driving yourself crazy. =-=

Good tip, I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Buying a Sierra board is playing the lottery. You aren't guaranteed to get the guts you paid for. Look for a 2012 Flow Drifter or 2011 Infinite I-Rock, any year K2 Raygun, or an older Camber Burton Process.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
dont buy sierra. if you really must buy sierra mail me your money and send me a plane ticket so i can fly to your house and kick you in the balls personally. on the bright-side ill bring you an old board of mine so at least you'll get a parting gift

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bseracka, that's a deal depending on what board you bring me, haha! Thanks for the feedback and suggestions guys! I was actually browsing and saw an older, used lib travis rice. So I'm actually pretty interested in that. Maybe I'll just use that a bit this season to feel it out and save up for something new, eh? This'd let me get some better boots too, cuz uhhh.. my other pair's.. well.. not doing too great lol. Anything (read everything, haha) to look out for when buying a used board?

Sorry if I hop around a bit. I overthink purchases like this sometimes.. =-= I try to look at everything, and get that 'have to have it' mentality. You're dealing with a terrible shopper right now lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
dont buy sierra. if you really must buy sierra mail me your money and send me a plane ticket so i can fly to your house and kick you in the balls personally. on the bright-side ill bring you an old board of mine so at least you'll get a parting gift
You never mention why you hate Sierra Boards:unsure:

·
Registered
612 Posts
bseracka, that's a deal depending on what board you bring me, haha! Thanks for the feedback and suggestions guys! I was actually browsing and saw an older, used lib travis rice. So I'm actually pretty interested in that. Maybe I'll just use that a bit this season to feel it out and save up for something new, eh? This'd let me get some better boots too, cuz uhhh.. my other pair's.. well.. not doing too great lol. Anything (read everything, haha) to look out for when buying a used board?

Sorry if I hop around a bit. I overthink purchases like this sometimes.. =-= I try to look at everything, and get that 'have to have it' mentality. You're dealing with a terrible shopper right now lol.
you will be more than happy on the used t-rice. thats a great board. it will challenge you as well. go that route versus the other two... From my experiences with the sierra line up theyre more or less just generic brand boards that are molded off a big name production board. Can't say much about the Salomon... but if it were me im pulling the trigger on the t-rice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I went with the T. Rice. Now I just need to wax it and we'll see how it handles on the mountain! Might do some towing too! Hm, I've seen products like that. It's kind of a gamble. I've had experiences where they were better than the actual product, but I've also had experiences where they... weren't. If it weren't an occasion like this I might give it a go, but in this situation I need something proven (though I'm not sure how much I buy into all this hype around boards.. just like cars lol).

Thanks everyone ^^

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You never mention why you hate Sierra Boards:unsure:
You can always do your own research by using google, but I'll give you my 2 cents. They're not what they claim to be nor were they made to the same specs, or with the same materials. Additionally they're still being sold as being current decks despite the fact they were pressed 3+ years ago. They're a poorly spec'd boards that were designed to undermine quality decks through false advertising in order to line the pockets of a company that did nothing but hurt the snowboard industry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts