Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Turny freeride daily driver

1890 33
Hello, new to the forum and looking for some board advice. Would be very thankful for any input!

I've been riding for a few years. Currently riding a 164w Rossignol XV and a Burton Skeleton key 162.

I mainly enjoy riding side- and backcountry, seeing how much flow I can get in my riding down technical terrain. When it hasn't snowed in a while or when the groomers are good I enjoy some carving also. And powder when there is any ofc.

While my riding has mainly been focused on learning proper turning/carving and navigating terrain a few side hits are starting to sneak in there too.

My home mountain is Chamonix and while I stay away from any of the really gnarly stuff here (and boy can it get gnarly) I still end up navigating steep icy sections to get to the good stuff or following friends from time to time. There's a lot of open terrain here and I end up riding less trees here than at other resorts.

I weigh around 165 lbs/75 kgs without gear and I have size 10 boots.

I bought my current boards when I hadn't been riding for very long and was clueless regarding sizing.

I'm basically looking for something a little more mellow than the XV that I already own and like. Sometimes I think of just sizing down on that but that's a bit boring :) I really like it because it feels locked in when on edge and you can do really deep carves with it. But it's also easy to slide around in tricky terrain because of all the rocker in the tip and tail. The tail is almost never in the way. The nose is also sufficently floaty and I don't have to adapt my riding very much in powder.

The Skeleton Key has a great, light, feel on hero snow groomers but I don't have the same confidence in icier conditions as on the XV. It's a lot softer and it feels like I can manipulate the turn radius a bit more when carving unlike the XV where if it wasn't for the softer tail would be a total plank for me. I can also get a decent pop out of the Skeleton Key when ollying unlike the XV where my puny legs and technique is not enough. The skeleton key rides powder just fine but I have to adapt my riding more than I'd like.

Sorry for the blog but I'm basically looking for something pretty similar to the xv but with a softer flex for easier ollies and more control while carving but that still retains some of its freeride characteristics like grip, float and manageability in technical terrain. I'm not looking to build a quiver and will probably sell off any resulting overlap. Any ideas? Thanks!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
You need a board that is still a somid freeride deck. I mean last time I rode Les Grands Montets on my Café Racer it was OK, but not the greatest. Still you can look into the Pencil.

For something really softer than the XV, you may want to check the Sickstick and Taka. Probably the Amplid Souly grail, k2 Instrument.

Not really softer, but more nimble, less demanding, you have the Slash Straight and vertical.

I'm sure Nivek has one for you [emoji16]

Zero G stocks Amplid and Korua, you can go and check them out.

Envoyé de mon H8324 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
Rome Ravine, Arbor Clovis, Lib Dynamo, Nidecker Mellow, Nitro Dropout, Amplid Surfari, K2 Passport, or a Ride Mtn Pig
@Nivek the K2 Landscape range looks awesome but is it just me or is there a lot of overlap within this range? I looked at an Antidote in NZ this season and seemed a pretty stiff board. Would it be fair to say the Instrument and Passport would be the more playful ans easier managed of the range. Of the big name brands, Burton aside maybe, K2 look to really capitalise on that freeride category of boards.

Alchemist
Antidote
Excavator
Manifest
Instrument
Passport

·
Registered
10,159 Posts
I would say the Alchemist is the most lively of the full on freeride options, yet still smooth
Antidote is the fancy fancy with 3D shaping, similar but stiffer than the Passport
Passport is your solid accessible freeride/all mountain
Excavator is your freeride volume shitf
Manfifest is on the other side of the fence from Passport, All Mountain/Freeride
Instrument is the softest of the bunch, built to me as more of a freestyle turner

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, really appreciate it!

Will check out the Clovis and Passport. Amplids are a bit pricey at 800+€ but maybe they’re worth it?

Looking at the Passport do you think the 159 wide would be ok at 75 kgs and a size 10 boot? Or is a wide model not necessary? Thinking about deeper carves and such.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I’m a big fan of my yea optimistic for this application, it’s volume shift but not so wide you can’t turn it, extremely long EE for its overall length, has a few bumps to be good in ice and rails a turn if you want to carver.

as they got rid of the Y. This season (the former little brother to the opti) they have apparently made the opti softer. I ride a 157 in similar terrain, Colorado back and side country with lots of steeps and side hits and love it. I sized down from a recommended 161 to the 157 @230 LBs and have no regrets, I’d suggest checking out the 154 or the 151

·
Registered
99 Posts
I used to ride a XV 167 as my main deck and it is a really nice board, but I think I understand what you are looking for and I am in a similar situation. I replaced my XV with a Flagship 164 two seasons ago and now I need (want...) a softer more turny freeride deck more than ever. The XV and Flagship are perfect for the high alpine terrain in the alps but not the best (not the most fun) in the woods and carving piste. I also kind of wish I went for the 162w Flagship because the 164 is quite narrow at the back foot even with US9 (only an issue when carving piste, not in the back country. I am used to carve on TF+ and stranda cheater...).

I also own a Yes Optimistic 154 and its great between trees but doesn´t give me the confidence needed in high alpine terrain. A bit too soft and the silly little tail sometimes cause an unpredictable behavior when traversing, sliding into couloirs etc. A 157 might have worked better @82kg/190cm. In general I like the idea of a softer volume shifted board as complement to a stiff freeride deck.
I found a 21/22 Yes hybrid DCP uninc 157 at 50% off so I gonna give that one a chance this season.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used to ride a XV 167 as my main deck and it is a really nice board, but I think I understand what you are looking for and I am in a similar situation. I replaced my XV with a Flagship 164 two seasons ago and now I need (want...) a softer more turny freeride deck more than ever. The XV and Flagship are perfect for the high alpine terrain in the alps but not the best (not the most fun) in the woods and carving piste. I also kind of wish I went for the 162w Flagship because the 164 is quite narrow at the back foot even with US9 (only an issue when carving piste, not in the back country. I am used to carve on TF+ and stranda cheater...).

I also own a Yes Optimistic 154 and its great between trees but doesn´t give me the confidence needed in high alpine terrain. A bit too soft and the silly little tail sometimes cause an unpredictable behavior when traversing, sliding into couloirs etc. A 157 might have worked better @82kg/190cm. In general I like the idea of a softer volume shifted board as complement to a stiff freeride deck.
I found a 21/22 Yes hybrid DCP uninc 157 at 50% off so I gonna give that one a chance this season.
The Hybrid Uninc looks pretty sweet! Let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thinking about it, it could very well be a Dupraz 5,5. Superb carver, mellow flow, but can handle quite some mountain.

A guide I rode with in Chamonix had a Cardiff Goat, which apparently is a pretty good carver—but 10m+ radius one. While the Goat itself is a super hard charger, the Bonsai could be your thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thinking about it, it could very well be a Dupraz 5,5. Superb carver, mellow flow, but can handle quite some mountain.

A guide I rode with in Chamonix had a Cardiff Goat, which apparently is a pretty good carver—but 10m+ radius one. While the Goat itself is a super hard charger, the Bonsai could be your thing.
Ah, yes I forgot about Dupraz! Hopefully Zero G has a demo/rental Dupraz I could try once the season starts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
@HometownZero @Schoobang As I have to retire my oooold (but fantastic) Yes Optimistic 157, I am also on the hunt for something similar... so Q: Have any of you guys tried the Ride Superpig? Do you think a 154 could manage a heavy guy in open terrain in the Alps, as well as be a nimble 1-b-q for day trips to small local resorts (say Kungsberget)?

·
Registered
626 Posts
@HometownZero @Schoobang As I have to retire my oooold (but fantastic) Yes Optimistic 157, I am also on the hunt for something similar... so Q: Have any of you guys tried the Ride Superpig? Do you think a 154 could manage a heavy guy in open terrain in the Alps, as well as be a nimble 1-b-q for day trips to small local resorts (say Kungsberget)?
I or @Snowdaddy can maybe answer that, especially Kungs question. As both of us are heavy and have ridden in Kungs and Romme.
I have demoed the Optimistic twice but didn't get along with it and he demoed the Y, same story. Probably its because of the short tail or just could dial it in. haven't ridden the Superpig but do own a Fullbag Supernaut, Tranny Finder 157 and a United Shapes Orbit 157 that should be similar to the pig. All three are my favorite boards and great for day trips to Kungs or Romme. Unfortunately none of the boards are made anymore(Tranny became Transition) but would I have to buy a new board it would be the Tur Buteo 157. Hands down one of the best board I've ridden. Aggressive and stiff, rides like a 160+ board but nimble enough because its shorter length.
Will be mostly in Romme but probably go to Kungs as well so if you want to try a board just ask.

·
Registered
89 Posts
@unsuspected Tackar! I'll remember to let you guys know when I am at R or K... but will probably have bought my next set-up already then. I will have to try some Tur models, as it's great we have another Swedish brand after Extrem folded; but then we are talking quiver and I'm trying my hardest to not become a board-hoarder again.

·
Registered
99 Posts
@unsuspected Tackar! I'll remember to let you guys know when I am at R or K... but will probably have bought my next set-up already then. I will have to try some Tur models, as it's great we have another Swedish brand after Extrem folded; but then we are talking quiver and I'm trying my hardest to not become a board-hoarder again.
Don´t forget that we also have Drougges Stranda Snowboards. Maybe a bit more of a niche brand, but still swedish and makes some really nice boards.

Oh, and we should do a snowboarding forum swedish chapter get-together and kungsberget or romme were we bring all out best stuff, and talk nerdy to each other =)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
The Tur snowboards are very nice boards. I haven't tried the Buteo 157, but I suspect it's just as fantastic as Unsuspected says. I personally have a really good time on both the Bubo and the Pluv 159 in Kungsberget and Romme. I borrowed Unsuspected's Korua TF for a couple of hours and had a blast on it. The Tur boards beat the Korua on ice, but the Korua is so much fun to turn.

For an only board I would absolutely consider a Classic Pencil (for more taper) or a Transition Finder. You just have to watch it a bit when you go over icy spots. Another board to look into is the Stranda Descender.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts