Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There Guys,

First of all, I'm new to the forum so.. Hi Everyone!

So I got myself some Atlas 2013s last year and I am having a major problem getting the toe strap ratchet to release. I've even had to unscrew myself a few times. It's mainly my lead foot but the other one has been fairly hard also. I've heard some complaints about the Union toe straps being shite so just curious it anyone else has had this problem? I know some boots shapes can be an issue with them as well. I have Vans Encore boots if anyone has any idea about the shapes that don't work.

I've also read that they have reduced the pressure on the toe straps from 10lbs to 7lbs for probably this reason. Anyone know if this is the case and the newer vesion does alleviate this problem?

Also, if so, how would I go about swapping the straps/ratchets I've heard people have a few problems getting Union spares. I've seen some stuff at c3-shop but just want to make sure I'll be getting the latest hardware, if it does infact help. The springs in the ratchets are fairly loose anyway from trying to force them open so many times.

Or should I just switch bindings? I've had Burton Bindings in the past and never had this exreme a problem getting undone.

Cheers,
\m/

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
The Atlas is a decent binding. Just shoot Union an email explaining your issue and that you'd like to keep riding the bindings and ask for new toe straps and ratchets. Ask for the ones that come on the new Force.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Tried on my unused 2013 MC Metafuses for the first time and found the toe strap ratchet very stiff. Applied enough pressure on it to feel like I could break it before it moved.

Might be a common thing for Unions?

I hear their support is great so I'm not concerned :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ouch. Ok.

Well hopefully it's not the case, but if that does happen I'll be going back to Burton. Decided to try Unions because Hype + Travis Rice does seem to work on me.:dizzy:

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have the same model and yeah it's not the best ratchet but I was able to manage. If you fit it properly to your boot and don't over tighten when strapping in it's not so bad. Some people have better luck than others, but generally speaking pre 2014 Union toe straps just blow.

From what I've heard they significantly improved the ratchet last season and their customer service is solid, so if you've already emailed them you should be on your way to solving the problem. On the other hand there are other options out there with better straps and ratchets so really just depends if you want to stick with Union or try something new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well they are brand new bindings and so far that's the only problem, so I wouldn't mind not having to shell out for something else. To be honest I didn't get many days in after I bought them last year so haven't had time to judge on how they feel to ride because the only thing that's stood out is the pain in the arse of the ratchets, unfortunately.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well it's a solid binding otherwise, I'd just take some time in the off season to get all the adjustments dialed in and to get a feel for the right release point. Don't over tighten and don't force it when it sticks and you should be OK. If it continues to be a problem Burton's toe caps and ratchets are money, I ride both the Atlas and Cartels and would probably just flip a coin if I had to choose between the two.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet. Well I'm sure they are unfortuantely one of the ratchets are pretty munted from trying to get them off so I have to source new ones anyway. Wouldn't mind going for the later ones if they are better.

Does anyone know if that's what you get at c3-shop at the mo, if you just get the ratchets?

Ratchets - SET | C3-SHOP

Just don't want to order them and find out they are the same or surplus '13 ratchets.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
I'm pretty sure Union bindings is a member of this forum.

TT

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
I wouldn't rely on the forum to get you help from Union. I've seen them offer sizing advice, product info, etc. but in terms of product support I've never seen anything more than them simply telling posters to email the warranty department. That's not a knock on them, just letting you know what to expect.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I will make sure to do that when I really have a warranty event. In my case it was only some feedback/a review with praise (lots of it) and criticism (the abomination of a toe strap).
Also, I am based in Asia...
Throw some credit on Skype, cheap international calls and you can call toll free numbers that you usually can't reach internationally.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Throw some credit on Skype, cheap international calls and you can call toll free numbers that you usually can't reach internationally.
Missing my point: It is not about the cost of the phone call, but about who is responsible/will do follow-up (Union? Local agent/distributor?) - especially if it is not a warranty event.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I always ask people to call the office.

Simply ask for the warranty dept.
Hi mate, I'm based in NZ. Is there a contact for here? I filled in the the form on this page:

Distributors | Union Binding Company

...but have had no word yet. Also principaldistribution.com.au does not seem to exist as a website so I'm a bit concerned no one will actually recieve my enquiry.

Thanks,
- Malik

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No coverage in most countries in Asia, which is neither surprising nor unreasonable.

But again, when I reached out to Union it was not a warranty event anyway - more some feedback and comments.
N.B. I also actually needed some new capstraps for my Burton Freestyles.. got a reply within a couple hours and was as helpful as a helpful thing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts