Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yo
Always bagging on Union. You should start a new binding brand Kevin. It's super easy!

We always encourage people to tighten their hardware every day before riding. Loctite is the answer, but please let it dry before putting the screws back in.

Consider how many bindings we have on snow. 13 years on the market. We are bound to have handfuls of customers who need to loctite their hardware. Apologies to anybody who's had any "out of the ordinary" issues with this stuff.
[/QUOT

First of all, thank you for the support. I guess I was only trying to solve the OP's current problem, instead of "yeah we are working on it".

But yes, we are working on it! I can give you reasons and excuses, but I don't think that's super productive either.

One thing I'd like to say though, is everybody should check their hardware before they go shred - regardless of the brand.

Lastly, I've always thought the good thing forums like SBF, is people can communicate directly with designers & company people making the products they use. It's a casual setting. I've never been that good at political correctness. My "dig" at Kevin, wasn't meant to start anything. I was only joking.
Everyone should check their hardware but how can you explain me tightening my bindings before the day, halfway through they become lose so I go tighten them again at the mountain repair shop, next run they are already loose. Using contact pros on a board tbay rides back foot heavy is like asking to have to stop every time you get to the bottom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Joined up just to chime in with my experience. Bought some Stratas last season, and I've had a hell of a time keeping them tightened to my board. Got to the point I was tightening them after every run. I don't know what makes these different, if the mini disc or flexibility do anything, but my front foot just always wanted to come up.

I've since put on locktite and they've stayed secure for a couple days. But goddamn, nothing worse when you can't trust your bindings on a run.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Always bagging on Union. You should start a new binding brand Kevin. It's super easy!

We always encourage people to tighten their hardware every day before riding. Loctite is the answer, but please let it dry before putting the screws back in.

Consider how many bindings we have on snow. 13 years on the market. We are bound to have handfuls of customers who need to loctite their hardware. Apologies to anybody who's had any "out of the ordinary" issues with this stuff.
Wow that's a little passive aggressive no? He's valid in his complaints because in 2020, with NEW bindings, it's still a problem. My friends hate me for needing to find a screwdriver every few runs. Not to mention that in the paperwork that comes in the box with the bindings, it specifically says not to use loctite. I'm gonna go ahead and use it though, and know who to blame if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just ordered a pair of Flux DS to replace my 2018 Contact Pros. The bindings are awesome but having to constantly check/tighten that screw is too much responsibility while drinking my way through the Alps. Went with the DS specifically because of the non adjustable heel cup.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I will never understand the cult following of union bindings, same stories every season but the fans insist it never happens, too many other good brands out there to even mess with the clusterfuck that is union screws.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The screw situation does piss me off at times, but the bindings themselves are outstanding. The Stratas I've been using feel so good that it's easier to put up with.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I hit my screws on my Union Forces with nail polish years ago, and it did a pretty good job keeping them in place. I only had to do that once or twice a season lol. I've finally retired them, and didn't go with Union again because of the screw thing. Now I've broken a K2 highback lol. I bet the Unions would have broken too. Loveland has some murderous chairs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I should also add that due to the way my ankle strap is adjusted, the end of it covers the screw that comes loose so every time I have to tighten it, the ankle strap adjustment screw has to be completely removed just so I can tighten the heel cup screw. Shit is obnoxious.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I’m not a Union fanboy and they fucked up with the washers but when it comes to the binding plate screws this little thing keeps my Falcors tight for days on my 4x4 and The Channel boards. My friend with a regular screwdriver cannot even move the screws I’ve fixed without any effort. Funny thing because I’ve actually got it for my Katanas as I was unable to unscrew the chassis.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I rented a board ( GNU hyperkyarve 157) from the local boardshop and had them put some Union Stata's on it they had in the rental stack. Great feel. After about 5 runs I noticed when I was strapping in that the whole binding was rotating clockwise under my right ( rear leg). Dude with a leatherman helped me out . Turns out the top left screw had seriously loosened and needed tightening. Liked the bindings feel. Don't like the loosening. Now Im paranoid about Union minidiscs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ive been riding the new stratas for 2 weeks now, the strap is still tight like hell. And the minidisk too... lets see how it holds up in the alps :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I passed on Unions and got some Cartels becuz loose screws is a known issue with Unions. Union's response to this very serious/dangerous issue lacks professionalism IMHO. Had some Ride SPIs circa 2007 that the toe strap screw would come out on (2 different pairs) nothing like bombing down the mountain to test your new bindings and suddenly you have no heelside response. I don't need to experience that ever again....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok update: I've been riding the 2020 Strata's in the Austrian alps for about a week now. Icy, slushy, bumpy, smooth and all sorts of terrain. Zero problems with the screws, I checked them many times because of all the comments but I guess the new washer system is doing it's thing! Also they ride quite well :) I am starting to notice my boots are a bit too soft for my style, but thats another story :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did last day of Dolomites without a toe strap. I only managed to find the screw that had come loose. Foam on highback also came away. They were great while they lasted but after 3 weeks in the mountain they fell apart.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've ridden most bindings over the last 25+ years and my Unions are my all-time favorite. They did have a screw issue that Union fixed last year and they sent me the new screws free of charge, no more issues. I also had a freak accident (that was my fault) that broke my highback and Union's shop gave me 2 new (updated) highbacks for $15. These are the most heavy-duty, shock-absorbing, and responsive bindings I have owned. Their ankle strap has gotten better every year and it is now nearly perfect. I have zero issues with their minidiscs if tightened correctly. I ride the Ultras.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did last day of Dolomites without a toe strap. I only managed to find the screw that had come loose. Foam on highback also came away. They were great while they lasted but after 3 weeks in the mountain they fell apart.
That blows. I had to ride some Ride SPIs without a toe strap - not cool. Luckily, my shop has a performance guarantee and swapped the defective SPIs (2 different pairs) for some Salomon SPX 55s. It's amazing my SPIs didn't last a single a day, your Dolomites only made it 3 weeks, yet my Salomons lasted 12 years; this year an ankle slider finally broke. Luckily, member
dwdesign has an old Salomon ankle strap he's sending me. I may pass these bindings down to my son - LOL.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Shouldn't have any more bolt back-out problems with the newer UNIONS. They are using NORD-LOCK type mechanism now (CAMS).

Honestly, Union (at least in the US) have one of the best customer service out there for replacement parts. Worst in my option is Mervin, getting parts for their Fastec GNU branded bindings (good thing SP Bindings have a US distributor now, so you can get extra cables, screws, and etc that may ruin a trip as it's not easy to find replacement parts at a local shop).

81 - 97 of 97 Posts