Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I am looking into getting some union sl's. I have done some research, and I see no functional/technical difference between the 2012 and 2013 sl's. Am I wrong here or would getting a 2012 model be the better choice? If they do the same thing, yet the 2012's are cheaper and machine cored, therefore lighter, are they not the hands down pick?

Can anyone refute this or give reason to get the 2013 model?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Hey guys!

I am looking into getting some union sl's. I have done some research, and I see no functional/technical difference between the 2012 and 2013 sl's. Am I wrong here or would getting a 2012 model be the better choice? If they do the same thing, yet the 2012's are cheaper and machine cored, therefore lighter, are they not the hands down pick?

Can anyone refute this or give reason to get the 2013 model?:dunno:
I own the 2012's. They're not only machine cored but they're carbon infused. They're stronger and more responsive. So they're essentially a lighter version of the Charger baseplate. The 2013 SL is just the regular Atlas baseplate.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Extremo!

Follow up question... Where in the hades do I find some 2012 models? I have one local shop and they are k2, ride and burton only. No one online has any, and ebay has only 2013 models? You know of anywhere I may find some? Anyone one here looking to get rid of a pair?

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Thanks Extremo!

Follow up question... Where in the hades do I find some 2012 models? I have one local shop and they are k2, ride and burton only. No one online has any, and ebay has only 2013 models? You know of anywhere I may find some? Anyone one here looking to get rid of a pair?
I've been looking myself, specifically in the grey colorway. I'm pretty sure I'll never come across a pair. I figured you had found some already.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I picked up a pair of these as well thanks to extremo's suggestion earlier this season and they badass bindings. I have vastly improved this year in terms of my park skill because of the increased confidence my equipment( largely these bindings) which I picked up this year.

I believe one minor thing that would favor the 2013 model is they have the canted foobeds don't they??

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Yes, in the sense that the 2014 Factory is the spiritual successor of the SL.
Not really. What makes the SL the SL is the cored-out asymm highback. Even though they didn't use the MC carbon infused baseplate this year, it still had a similar flex pattern because of the highback. With the team highback, that flex pattern is gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts