Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Snowolf - It's the 50 year old woman beginner snowboarder with an update. I have come a long way this season. Following is my run from Saturday, last run till we go to Mammoth in two weeks.

I know I still have a lot to work on, it feels like I'm bending my knees but NEVER looks like it on the videos. I also notice I rudder my back foot on the steeper terrains on my toeside turn. Still pretty shaky in areas, but I made it down the Blue run that ended with a small Black Diamond and I didn't fall!

Thanks for the encouragement and next year I can hopefully get even better!

YouTube - black diamond run

Vicki
Can cross snowboarding off my bucket list!

·
Registered
78 Posts
:thumbsup: for someone who is learning.
IMO it looks like you progressing really well. most beginners i see are falling leaf all the way down.keep it up.:)

side note: mammoth is going to be epic for you.can't wait til May to pick up my mvp pass and hit the slopes before summer hits mammoth.

·
Super Moderator
6,252 Posts
Hey, have a good look at the side hits and trees on your vid. In a year or two you'll be hitting those instead of riding down the middle.

·
Registered
844 Posts
yeeaaah looking good! snow summit was awesome that weekend, i was there on sunday!

if you ever see a guy in a light blue sandbox helmet say hi, i'm the only one i have ever seen with one on haha.

·
Super Moderator
6,252 Posts
Hey, have a good look at the side hits and trees on your vid. In a year or two you'll be hitting those instead of riding down the middle.
Of course I meant hitting the side hits, not the trees :laugh:
You'll be riding around the trees hopefully.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
This thread is awesome. I love seeing people get stoked about their progress on a board. My siginficant other is trying to learn our fine sport as well at age 36. When I get home I am going to show her this video of you kicking that hill's a$$ for encouragement.

Have fun at Mammoth! The fresh snow yu guys are getting out west must be AWESOME! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is amazing really. It just proves it's never to late to learn something new. All the best with your progression!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Awesome progression this season...congrats! Next season, you can go from describing yourself as "the 50 year old woman beginner snowboarder" to "the lady who rips" ...and I don't mean that in an eating-a-lot-of-burritos kind of way :laugh:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wow great progress! Can't believe you've only been riding for a season! Out of curiosity, did you take any lessons or just follow Snowolf's/this forum's advice?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Wow great progress! Can't believe you've only been riding for a season! Out of curiosity, did you take any lessons or just follow Snowolf's/this forum's advice?
No lessons, but I looked up a lot of things online and on youtube. I watched all the snowprofessor.com videos and first time was just heelsiding down the mountain to learn how to go and stop. Then falling leaf, then j turns, then trying to link the turns, then I got stuck. Changed to a flat rocker board and posted a video for snowolf to critique and then worked on putting my lead arm up and turning my head and shoulders in my turns and got better. A lot is fear on my end, I DO NOT LIKE to go fast and never wanted to be one of those out of control boarders going down the hill and just falling to stop. I did not progress until I felt comfortable with what I was doing.

Spent a long time on our one mile green run here at our local mountain and when I finally got bored with that I ventured to the easiest blue and then did laps on that run till I got used to the steepness of it - which really freaked me out at first. Then ventured to four of the other blue runs and within a month I was actually looking forward to the blue runs. Then last weekend hit the easier diamond run.

Here's a video of my first time on the board Thanksgiving Day 2010.

YouTube - vickisnowboard1

Here's video practicing my toe side falling leaf...

YouTube - vicki second toe edge

Here's the video I asked snowolf to help me point out things to work on from our mile long green run.

YouTube - critique my ride

Which brings me up to the updated video I originally posted for Snowolf from last weekend.

It has been fun and I really didn't fall all that much learning as I took everything slow and easy. I am much happier on the snowboard than skis - I know that must be hard to believe! lol

Vicki

·
Registered
171 Posts
Keep up the good work. I just started snowboarding this season too, and it's really fun to go back and watch videos of yourself to see how far you've come along. It's a great feeling when you cruise down some of the same trails you first started out on, and feel how much more confident you are.

·
Super Moderator
6,252 Posts
Keep up the good work. I just started snowboarding this season too, and it's really fun to go back and watch videos of yourself to see how far you've come along. It's a great feeling when you cruise down some of the same trails you first started out on, and feel how much more confident you are.
I don't have any vids to refer to, but I can remember being freaked out by things that are no biggy now, and I can remember enviously watching other boarders doing stuff that used to be totally out of my reach. But as someone said on another thread, no matter how good you get, there's still more to try.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
firstx1017,
Good for you, you would all laugh at our local black diamond but at one time I steered far away from it. Now I bomb it no big deal. Went to a larger hill with double blacks, very steep but short, stayed off of them, mostly as it was kinda icy. I did the other blacks slow and methodical, and was very nervous but did them.
It comes to everyone different, and she is learning a new sport as are many of us. Boarding was in it's fetal stage when I was a skiier. It may take us older folks a bit but we are out there riding and having fun. Help support our efforts.

-Slyder

·
Registered
366 Posts
Vicki

Nice work for only 1 season - pretty impressive IMO.

Anyhow I left the first comment on your Youtube Vid.:thumbsup:

Keep up the great work!

Cheers

nigel

·
Registered
439 Posts
Good work! I think when you're more comfortable with picking up speed, you won't feel the need to kick the back foot over so quickly. And I think its been said to keep your knees dynamic instead of just bent but rigid, if that makes any sense. You're doing better than alot of self taught beginners after one season.

We just got back from 3 days in Mammoth yesterday and it was great. A little icy in the morning and a little slush in the afternoon, but I love that mountain. It has a wide variety of terrain for you to practice on. Just stay away from the village ski back trail if the conditions are a little slushy, its an awful experience. Have a great time!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts