Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

141 - 160 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
They're mag is actually pretty good. I have a 2016 Aether and still ride it pretty frequently. Bio resins have better elasticity than traditional epoxy so I've found the board to maintain its life really well.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
They're mag is actually pretty good. I have a 2016 Aether and still ride it pretty frequently. Bio resins have better elasticity than traditional epoxy so I've found the board to maintain its life really well.
Did you find the story to be too aggressive overall? Or is this basically all mountain freestyle (aether) vs freeride (story)? I was looking at the maelstrom too but seems too similar to the iguchi camber. Guchi is likely the better/more versatile board as well esp with the lifted contract points.

Thanks for answering these questions!

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Did you find the story to be too aggressive overall? Or is this basically all mountain freestyle (aether) vs freeride (story)? I was looking at the maelstrom too but seems too similar to the iguchi camber. Guchi is likely the better/more versatile board as well esp with the lifted contract points.

Thanks for answering these questions!
The Aether is kinda your send it twin rocker. Its a little softer than the Story but not by a lot. The Story is probably best described as forgiving freeride. Defintely capable of whatever terrain I'd ever throw at it but its still easy to ride and chill on. The Story is my go to Niche if I need to grab a board from them real quick to go rip with others at demos or something.
Maelstrom is defintely similar to to the Guch, maybe a little stiffer. Versatility wise yes the Guch has fenders, but the Maelstrom has early rise nose, so I wouldn't say either is really more versatile than the other. Picking between the two would purely depend on my mood at the time.

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Niche graphics don’t speak to me...
Yeah but I bet you punt kittens, suplex puppies, and poor oil on penguins so your opinion is moot...

Jkjkjk. You are well within your rights not to like their graphics all that much, I mean being wrong is something we all must deal with in life!!!

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Niche graphics don’t speak to me...new party platter looks like an stale buffet at a cheap welcome reception at a Vegas expo.
Yeah, new PP looks awful. I love the old blue one and if I end up with one, it would def be one of those.

Niche does the broody Gothic thing and does it well if that's what you're into. I liked the constellation graphics a lot because they were simple and different.

You might have been a bigger fan of some of their older graphics which they might do throwbacks for

I think part of it is also the eco friendly processes they're developing and using likely limit use of certain color and such.

The Aether is kinda your send it twin rocker. Its a little softer than the Story but not by a lot. The Story is probably best described as forgiving freeride. Defintely capable of whatever terrain I'd ever throw at it but its still easy to ride and chill on. The Story is my go to Niche if I need to grab a board from them real quick to go rip with others at demos or something.
Maelstrom is defintely similar to to the Guch, maybe a little stiffer. Versatility wise yes the Guch has fenders, but the Maelstrom has early rise nose, so I wouldn't say either is really more versatile than the other. Picking between the two would purely depend on my mood at the time.
Ah interesting. Looking at their specs, the story has two stringers vs the single one on the aether. Other than that, there are some small differences in the geometry and sidecut but the biggest difference in stiffness is probably from that.

From looking at the maelstrom and guch specs a bit more and looking at some more reviews, it looks like the maelstrom has less EE. The early rise nose probably makes it a bit more fun to carve and it has a bit of a tighter side cut as well. The shorter EE, rocker in the nose, and no edge tech on the maelstrom probably makes it worse as an ice coast board, but the rocker in the nose and the taper makes it better in powder. I think the lifted contact points on the guch almost act like a bit of rocker with the snow since they funnel snow out but it's obviously nothing like having a big rockered nose.

So tldr: maelstrom likely better if you see more powder and guch likely better if you see more ice (though it can do powder set back).

Sound about right?

Agreed the new PP graphics are bad. Sucks I wanted to grab one next year to update my current platter
Used or NOS? Or were there any actual updates in the board you're interested in. Hopefully they'll be better the following year.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sad to see that Capita replaced the horrorscope with the new Pathfinder REV. Specs are pretty much identical but the new graphics are very boring.
Anyone knows when Slash is going to release the new 22 catalog? I was thinking that maybe the slash happy place could be a good alternative to the horrorscope.

·
884 Posts
No help to you I guess but new boards will start dropping here in Aus April/May IIRC

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If you guys like Niches graphics, check out Tur snowboards. Similar and great boards. Demoed the Buteo 157 and it hauled ass!
I second this! Tried the Buteo 162 and that was really something. If I was after an insane carving and free ride board this is it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sad to see that Capita replaced the horrorscope with the new Pathfinder REV. Specs are pretty much identical but the new graphics are very boring.
Anyone knows when Slash is going to release the new 22 catalog? I was thinking that maybe the slash happy place could be a good alternative to the horrorscope.
Where did you see this at? I still see the horrorscope in the catalog on page 1?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm afraid you watched the old catalog. Go to page 6 of this thread and open the capita 21/22 catalog
You're right! I just saw that one. That is a bummer.

Does anyone have a catalog for Marhar yet? I'm curious to see what next years Lumberjack looks like. Not a big fan of the wood grain look that seems to be in right now.

·
884 Posts
You're right! I just saw that one. That is a bummer.

Does anyone have a catalog for Marhar yet? I'm curious to see what next years Lumberjack looks like. Not a big fan of the wood grain look that seems to be in right now.
They do custom sheets IIRC

141 - 160 of 208 Posts