Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade from my 2004 K2 Zeppelin and am looking for recommendations.

I am a pretty advanced/expert snowboarder, having grown up on ice in the North East US (10+ years), but no longer live in the North and instead take 2-4 trips per year to Colorado (last 10 years) and have not boarded east coast for over 10 years.

Nowadays I'm mainly spending my time on resort double blacks / blacks, seeking out fresh powder, pistes, tree runs, etc. While I enjoy bombing it down the hill, I like to seek out cliffs and roller jumps, but I never go to the park any more. However, my snowboarding style is still largely influenced by having spent most of my life on the icy northeast slopes, in addition to the fact I can't "choose" to only board on powder days since I am typically flying in to Colorado for planned trips (2-4 a year).

Any thoughts or recommendations on boards I should be looking at, if I'm primarily doing Colorado/BC resort boarding etc.? Price not a factor.

Probably looking for a board that is a better fit for where I board and the fact I no longer do park, but also don't necessarily want a dramatic shift from the board I have used for the past 15 years, not to mention something more versatile than just for perfect powder days (since my trips to CO are typically pre-planned and don't always get perfect conditions.)

Personal stats:
  • Athletic 30YO Male
  • 5'9"
  • 185 Lbs

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
Zeppilin was a great deck.

Arbor Clovis, Rome Ravine Select, Nidecker Alpha, Gnu Antigravity, Lib Dynamo, Weston Ridgeline, K2 Alchemist

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input.

Any thoughts on the following:
K2 Team Manifest
K2 Alchemist
K2 Excavator
Rome Ravine
Rome Ravine Select

I am not tied to K2, however those all look like they could fit with my riding preference and performance both pistes and powder.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
Team manifest if your freestyle freeride deck. Not as directional as the rest, softest of the K2's, but not much softer than the Alchemist. The Excavator is a volume shift freeride board. Stiff. Turns great, but it's stiff. The Ravine is a a little above a mid flex park deck, in a pow/carving shape. RIPS turns, but still playful. The Select is the same shape, but stiffer with a nicer base. Similar stiffness to the Manifest Team, but more directional. The Alchemist is an approachable freeride board. Still has the stability and drive you want from a freeride board, but isn't demanding to be on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Team manifest if your freestyle freeride deck. Not as directional as the rest, softest of the K2's, but not much softer than the Alchemist. The Excavator is a volume shift freeride board. Stiff. Turns great, but it's stiff. The Ravine is a a little above a mid flex park deck, in a pow/carving shape. RIPS turns, but still playful. The Select is the same shape, but stiffer with a nicer base. Similar stiffness to the Manifest Team, but more directional. The Alchemist is an approachable freeride board. Still has the stability and drive you want from a freeride board, but isn't demanding to be on.
That’s very helpful, thank you. If you were to rank them based on looking for something that’ll be versatile on both black/double black bowls and glades / pistes / pow when it’s there, what would be your stack ranking ?

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
This is certainly a debatable list, and I reserve the right to change my mind later if I feel like it.
Ravine Select
Alchemist
Team Manifest
Ravine
Excavator

1 - 8 of 8 Posts