Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics from my last few trips. It finally stopped snowing and as if someone flipped a switch, it seemed that spring was here. Warm temps and blue bird skies made long days in the mountains very enjoyable.

Celebrated my 100th day of the season by finally putting a line on mt raymond.

Everytime I would drive down BCC I would tell my self, "next time."

With no mad rush to chase pow and perfecr spring weather, the longish approach was somewhat enjoyable.

Wasnt so bad up top either.

Or at the bottom.

And wide gullys and fast snow made for a fun escape.

A couple days later I went to the lake blanch area, just across the street from mt raymond, to ride sundial peak.

I had to hike in/out about 2.5 miles each way on mostly dirt due to it being melted out or a hard and icy boot pack from hikers

Once I got to the lake and put on my skis, I was reminded why this place is such a popular place to hike...

Enjoying a beer while I wait for the snow to soften up a bit more. Snowboarding is definately contributing to a pre-noon drinking problem I may or may not have...

Then I signed my name a few time in the most amzing corn snow I have ever ridden before heading home.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,440 Posts
:thumbsup: very nice! Congrats to the 100 days :eek:ccasion14:
My board is stored, seasoms over but such pics make me grin and think oh yea, next seasons will come... :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
That's awesome! I went to Utah a couple months ago and I remember seeing all the mountains in the BCC/LCC with lines on them. Sick lines.....

Lines like yours!

EDIT-- what's up with all the cans in Utah? Here in PDX we have very few choices when it comes to cans and craft beer. We're getting there, but no where near what SLC had. Lucky !

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EDIT-- what's up with all the cans in Utah? Here in PDX we have very few choices when it comes to cans and craft beer. We're getting there, but no where near what SLC had. Lucky !
Well to be fair, Im pretty sure olympia and pbr are can beers everywhere:D But you're right, Utah and Wyoming breweries do seem to can alot of their beers. Its great for backcountry travel. No need to pack out heavy bulky bottles.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Well to be fair, Im pretty sure olympia and pbr are can beers everywhere:D But you're right, Utah and Wyoming breweries do seem to can alot of their beers. Its great for backcountry travel. No need to pack out heavy bulky bottles.
Wasn't sure about the Olympian. It looked like a fancy can so I figured fancy beer. ;)

Up here we have a few choices, and they're far more expensive than their bottle version. A side from the reasons you mentioned I also like the way they taste better.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Is everything in Utah still 3.2 beer or can you get the good stuff without bootlegging it from out of state? Last time I was hiking in Escalante, I could not find anything but 3.2.
Anything in your normal store is 3.2. You must go to a liquor store for the goods.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
glad you guys like the pics.

PDX is correct about the beer. Liquor store or bar for the higher point beer. Next time you are in Utah, make sure you stop at a liquor store before you leave civilization. They are in most towns with a reasonable population.

And despite the sweet cans, Olympia is far from fancy. But it goes down smooth. Its the water....

·
The Swiss Miss
7,440 Posts
3.2? Percent by volume?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did some more hunting today. I went into Broads Fork, despite promising myself never to return after getting my ass handed to me while hiking up it's scree fields last summer.:dizzy:

But its a badass drainage with some really "big" terrain and Ive never visited in the winter so why not?

No snow down low and firm snow up top so I booted the entire 4000 or so feet.

Saw alot of freshly down trees.

Im a little curious how they got this way. Obvious answer would be avalanches but the slopes above them are pretty densly wooded and not all that big so I dont think a slide would pack enough punch to do that much damage. Maybe wind? What did that guy say about a tree falling with no one to hear it again?

Enough with the trees. Back to snow.

Slab+Snow+Sun = Glide Avalanche

Hey Mom, I can see the house from up here!

I gazed through the smog for a bit while the snow softened up a bit more. There was an inch or two of fresh snow from yesterday that combined with a little wind was insulating the more seasoned snow underneath from thawing.

When it was time, I finished my koolaid and went for a ride.

Up high...

2400 ft and a the majority of Hendrix's Bold as Love later...

The top 1/4 was what I like to call character building snow but it eventually transitioned into a smooth creamy surface. Easily the longest continous line Ive ever ridden.

In hindsight I could have probably waited a day for the new snow to burn off but what else was I gonna do with a day off?

I love late spring. You basically have the whole range to yourself!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts