1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let the grousing begin.

https://www.epicpass.com/info/letter...r-pass-holders

Reservation Details | Epic Season Pass

We want to provide assurance to our guests that we will do our very best to minimize crowds at all times – be it a holiday weekend or the unpredictable powder day.

As such, this season we will be implementing a reservation system across each of our mountains. It is possible that at some point in the season, as we evaluate the dynamics of our operations, we may decide that we no longer need the reservation system at certain resorts. However, with so many uncertainties, we believe it is only prudent to have this system in place now. Full details and FAQs on how the reservation system will work can be found here, but this overview should answer some of your questions:

• Pass holders will be required to make a reservation before arriving at the mountain.
  • Throughout the season, pass holders will be able to make as many week-of reservations as their pass type and availability allow.
  • The early season will be reserved for pass holders only. We will not sell lift tickets until Dec. 8.
  • In addition to week-of reservations, we will also be providing pass holders with the opportunity to book up to seven Priority Reservation Days for the core season (Dec. 8-April 4), or as many days of access as they have on their pass if less than seven. The booking window for Priority Reservation Days will open Nov. 6 and will be exclusive to pass holders until Dec. 7.
  • As pass holders use their Priority Reservation Days, they can book new ones, maintaining up to seven (or however many days of access are remaining on their pass) at any time. In addition, pass holders can always make as many week-of reservations as they choose (or however many days of access are remaining on their pass).
  • Families will be able to book reservations together if they are in the same pass holder account.
  • While still subject to change, at this time we do not believe pass holders will need a reservation to access our partner resorts (Telluride, Sun Valley, Snowbasin, Resorts of the Canadian Rockies, Hakuba or Rusutsu).
  • Lift tickets (including Buddy and SWAF tickets) will go on sale on Dec. 8, with sales limited based on the number of spaces available for any given day after our exclusive pass holder reservation period. This season, lift tickets will be sold with a reservation for a specific resort on a specific date.
  • Given the need to manage lift tickets sales, they will only be sold on our websites and through our call centers. No lift tickets will be sold at the ticket window in resort – you may only pickup your pre-purchased lift ticket at our ticket windows.
  • We will be encouraging guests to purchase in advance – though guests can purchase a same day lift ticket online or through our call centers, subject to availability, and then pick up the lift ticket at the ticket window.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
So as a season pass holder if you can't get in on a day you want you're doing is basically paying them not to ride.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they are doing this. But as a pass holder you are now essentially paying them money so you can ask for their permission when you can go. Which will be made worse by assholes who just log in first thing every day and book everything whether they really intend on going or not, locking other people out.

My question is how are the lodges going to work? I don't worry so much about lift lines. You're outside. But what's their plan on handling the 11-1 rush on $18 chicken fingers?

This season is going to slaughter the few independent mountains remaining, especially in the north east.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Def stings a bit as a pass holder to potentially not be able to ride on certain days. I agree. Although I don't see how they could avoid this situation. It might actually end up being a cool thing on pow days if crowds get limited. Of course that is IF you're one of the lucky ones that gets a reservation for that day.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I got the email and knew there would be a thread going. I wonder if it will really make an impact for frequent riders? If the two-trips-a-year riders will still show up? Can’t imagine newbies waiting in the madness rental lines with masks all pissed off and sweating.

I will be looking WAY forward and reserving days. But maybe it will be more bomber, side hit, pow friendly with reduced capacity.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm a torn what to do. Worst case scenario I have my splitboard and can spend the winter touring (hoping resorts stay open so the idiots stay on the lifts, the avy numbers from last spring were crazy after the resorts shut down). I am considering picking up a pass to a smaller independent resort (Sugar Bowl) to avoid the mega pass crowds. But then again the mega pass crowds might not be an issue with the new capacity limits.

I will definitely avoid certain mountains. As Tahoe rider, Squaw Valley (or the resort to be renamed), Northstar, and Heavenly are pretty heavily reliant on gondolas, which I'd be super hesitant to share with randos in this climate. I've done a bit of traveling around the west coast this season for hiking and camping, and the number of mouth-breathers lacking any sense of basic risk mitigation and probabilistic thinking is fucking staggering.

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
I've been talking to people all day and should have a video dropping explaining it to you die hard riders so you don't lose your shit. In all honesty I think this is going to make the people that really want it appreciate it more and set them up for more riding. The lazy asses are going to be upset.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Vail ran the same system here in Australia this season, and honestly it worked out pretty well.

If they were getting their processes right here at Perisher to use in your resorts, then I'd expect to see staff outside the lodges/food joints restricting numbers that are allowed in with mandatory face coverings.
Personally, I enjoyed the mountain more even though it cost more to ride this year - less overall people in lift lines and definitely easier navigating runs because of it.. just be happy they're opening!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Vail ran the same system here in Australia this season, and honestly it worked out pretty well.

If they were getting their processes right here at Perisher to use in your resorts, then I'd expect to see staff outside the lodges/food joints restricting numbers that are allowed in with mandatory face coverings.
Personally, I enjoyed the mountain more even though it cost more to ride this year - less overall people in lift lines and definitely easier navigating runs because of it.. just be happy they're opening!
That’s encouraging...it’s possible that this could be a change that most prefer with or without Covid

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
Mt Ruapehu in NZ has been operating a carpark booking system since coming out of lockdown in order to control numbers. This was heavily criticised at first but most think it's worked out okay. When the carparks are released each week they almost instantly get fully booked out which sucks!

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
I don't know if it's the finest, but saw some people were not exactly understanding what's happening with this and spreading misinformation. So fuck it, break it down so it's easily digestible and hopefully it makes people go. Well shit OK I should get this product or I shouldn't.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Fuck you BA, give me my fucking money back! Now!

Of course, the way things are shaping up the first positive that contact traces back to a resort is going to close it all anyway. Which given a 2 week lag gives it about 4-6 weeks after opening day.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts