Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick query if anybody knows. How does one value a Collectable snowboard in order to sell?

For example, say you had a Terje Håkonsen, or more realistically a much lesser board. You wouldn't want to put a Terje on the market for $200, as it's probably worth a whole lot more, even in poor condition.

But how does one even go about determining a realistic price? This becomes more of an issue for lesser boards, as Terje's would probably auction easily.

NOTE: yes, i've seen the 'What is my snowboard worth' pinned post. I think the intent of this one is different, in that it involves collectors snowboards, as opposed to run of the mill daily drivers a few years old. ie we are not talking 2016 Lib TRS's here.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,560 Posts
So what determines if something is collectible? Simple: if there's a demand for it and people are willing to pay, it's a collectible. Remember when comics were being sold as collectibles? Everyone was buying them in anticipation of selling them for massive bucks. Result? A whole lot of inventory on the market that no one wanted because everyone already had one. The second thing is that there has to be a tendency to collect them. For instance, weird Trek or Star Wars paraphernalia. There are lots of people who collect those, so lots of demand. Having a signature of some kind on it helps, too. Of course the signature by definition makes it rare, unless the signer was producing the items factory-style.

So it has to be rare, and it has to fit into one of the collector markets. I think the real problem with snowboards is that there is no real collector's market. Some individual might want a specific board for reasons of nostalgia and be willing to pay a little extra for it, but not enough to make a huge difference. If you look at collectible sports stuff in general, it's all signed by some famous sports star or known to have belonged to them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Similar to Eivind, I joined some snowboard collector sites on Facebook. I've learned a lot.
I think a snowboard is worth as much as someone will pay for it..... which is a little generic but true. I've discovered that the community is essentially setting the prices as they are the one's collecting. If someone wants something bad enough they'll pay for it. You can really get a sense of what something is worth simply by reading through comments and gauging the communities response to what others post. I haven't really found anything out their that shows what exact prices are, ebay and worthpoint can give a general idea but again not perfect. I think as the community grows over the years, so does the value of that community in gaining insight on "worth".

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Similar to Eivind, I joined some snowboard collector sites on Facebook. I've learned a lot.
I think a snowboard is worth as much as someone will pay for it..... which is a little generic but true. I've discovered that the community is essentially setting the prices as they are the one's collecting. If someone wants something bad enough they'll pay for it. You can really get a sense of what something is worth simply by reading through comments and gauging the communities response to what others post. I haven't really found anything out their that shows what exact prices are, ebay and worthpoint can give a general idea but again not perfect. I think as the community grows over the years, so does the value of that community in gaining insight on "worth".

Appreciate the reply. So, would you say it's kosher to post a board on one of these groups and have others basically offer up what they would pay for it? I'm not looking to maximize or break the bank on price or anything, just get a reasonable amount that works for everybody. My cluelessness is the sticking point lol.

Do you happen to know of any offhand?

I've found the following so far: Vintage Snowboard Trader; VST Bay; Lib Tech Collectors, and thanks to @eivind above, Dig My quiver. Also, AlpineSnowboarder Forums which might work for one board i have.

Thanks again

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are several facebook groups where collectors help set the price. Like, Dig my quiver etc

Edit: There is a marked, it’s a lot of collectors out there and a lot of knowledge! But it’s not "mainstream" and open for all wich makes it hard to reach and get in to
Thanks for the lead on Dig My Quiver mate. Appreciated.

·
Registered
137 Posts
As with any group some are more friendly than others. I've found this one to be the best. You have to follow the rules of the group and you're good! I really like learning about old boards from these guys and gals. Super knowledgeable. Read through some posts for the first few days to get an idea of the culture then make your post!
Font Circle Screenshot Advertising Event

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As with any group some are more friendly than others. I've found this one to be the best. You have to follow the rules of the group and you're good! I really like learning about old boards from these guys and gals. Super knowledgeable. Read through some posts for the first few days to get an idea of the culture then make your post!
View attachment 163284
Appreciate you taking the time to help out man. I'll check this one out. Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
So what determines if something is collectible? Simple: if there's a demand for it and people are willing to pay, it's a collectible. Remember when comics were being sold as collectibles? Everyone was buying them in anticipation of selling them for massive bucks. Result? A whole lot of inventory on the market that no one wanted because everyone already had one. The second thing is that there has to be a tendency to collect them. For instance, weird Trek or Star Wars paraphernalia. There are lots of people who collect those, so lots of demand. Having a signature of some kind on it helps, too. Of course the signature by definition makes it rare, unless the signer was producing the items factory-style.

So it has to be rare, and it has to fit into one of the collector markets. I think the real problem with snowboards is that there is no real collector's market. Some individual might want a specific board for reasons of nostalgia and be willing to pay a little extra for it, but not enough to make a huge difference. If you look at collectible sports stuff in general, it's all signed by some famous sports star or known to have belonged to them.
Snowboards by design as well as the riders that rode them is all part of "Snowboarding History". Their worth is determined by what design elements (including substrates and materials) evolved from them as well as the riding styles and techniques (tricks) of them that rode them. As previously mentioned, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". If you lean towards the style of a certain pro, then the board brand he rode will be desirable. Hence : Pro Models. A guy who has been totally immersed and obsessed in snowboarding from the beginning is Bryan Sutherland at www.oldsnowboards.com . If anyone can give you a true value of a snowboard's worth, it's Bryan, and he's an amazing rider as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts