Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather predictions for Whistler are showing possibility of snow at the alpine by this weekend. Yes, it's a long way from being skiable, but the first whiteness is cause for happy dance.

Now comes the kvetching and the obsessing and the predictions for the season, both weather-wise and covid-wise.

·
Registered
307 Posts
we need just the right amount of covid to close borders but keep ski resorts open…. Is that a completely messed up wish? Haha

Im not hopeful for good snow after the lack of rain/fires/heat over summer. Hopefully im wrong.

·
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone (can't remember who) told me that it's supposed to be a La Nina this winter, which means cold and wet. If it's cold enough, that means lots of snow. And so far, the temps are heading in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
We've had a few nice dustings above 2000m this month in Alberta, just checked their websites and Lake Louise is saying October 29th opening date and Mt Norquay the 30th. Fingers crossed they get the snow or at least snow making temps to actually make that happen, less than 6 weeks away!

Reactions: katanihouse

·
Registered
60 Posts
Someone (can't remember who) told me that it's supposed to be a La Nina this winter, which means cold and wet. If it's cold enough, that means lots of snow. And so far, the temps are heading in the right direction.
Odds are 60% La Nina for Dec-Feb 2021/2022, as predicted in september

Now, odds are now 87% according to NOAA, as of mid october. Which is a pretty strong prediction (in the sense of a high number... Not a lot left for margin of errors).

La Nina translate to wet and cool for west coast indeed

(yeah, I work in weather /climate field 😀)

2nd year in a row to have La Nina conditions (if the prediction holds of course). How was 2020-2021 in the west? I was over there in July-August... Slalomed between wildfires 😂

·
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2nd year in a row to have La Nina conditions (if the prediction holds of course). How was 2020-2021 in the west? I was over there in July-August... Slalomed between wildfires 😂
Last year wasn't terrible but not the greatest. A couple of runs on Whistler never really filled up.

Also, the Vancouver locals are getting snow right now. And that's good news.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Last year wasn't terrible but not the greatest. A couple of runs on Whistler never really filled up.

Also, the Vancouver locals are getting snow right now. And that's good news.
Yeah, even within La Nina's years, there is still a lot of weather variability.

I dont know much about your local climate, but snow in Vancouver so early, is it indeed looking like good news for sure 😀

·
Registered
766 Posts
I personally felt Whistler last season was the best since the 16-17 season, which imo was the best ever for me (approx 8 seasons).

I don't rate Vancouver local seasons. To me its always the same. Icy, rainy and foggy :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Line-ups at Whistler aren't as bad as opening day for the bike park, but still pretty bad.
They look nonexistent on the web came.
Like none at any of the bottom lifts.
Fuck I'm pissed off
I was gonna go with a rideshare but they wanted to leave Vancouver at 9
I figured the lineups would be fuct.

Well gonna go tomorrow I guess.

TT

·
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They look nonexistent on the web came.
Like none at any of the bottom lifts.
Fuck I'm pissed off
I was gonna go with a rideshare but they wanted to leave Vancouver at 9
I figured the lineups would be fuct.

Well gonna go tomorrow I guess.

TT
Yeah, it was all start-of-day. Once everyone was up, the line-ups evaporated. I wonder if they're requiring people to download via lift. Would make sense--once you're up, you stay up.

What's more significant to me is the snow pounding they're taking, even in the village.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts