Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a video camera for under 1k. Ideally around $800 so I have money for a editing system and a hard case to protect it. I have been looking at the a Cannon. Can't think of the name right now, will post later.

Basically I want a camera that films in full HD, has a decent zoom, good image stability, and quality(especially with snow enviroment). Not going to buy and helmet cam so don't suggest it. I already have a Hero2. I am getting more serious and need a real camera.

As a sidenote, do you really need a stabilizer or do the cameras do a good enough job on their own? Just curious. Seen people withy em and without and didn't seem to make a huge difference.

How durable are they too? Trying to find a casing for them, but not sure if they even make them? What kind of lenses are a good idea too? 25mm?45mm? Nothing?

Thanks in advance. Been gone a while & would really appreciate the help. Been away from home for a while and can't wait to get back and ride.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's the Cannon hv30
And the s1000
I have been looking at.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Just grab something like the 60d or 70d. They will also give you amazing photo quality. One of these mixed with a handle is great for shooting video in full HD

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Yeah I second that... I'm looking for a used 5D MKII myself. Ideally $1000 or so and a killer camera for both video and photography.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are DSLRs. At least when I looked them up they were. Even though they are good quality I was kind of looking along the lines of a dedicated video camera. If there is no difference what so ever I mean I would get it since it takes good stills too, but if there is ANY difference I would want a Video camera only.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I think your price point is right in-between really nice handycams and professional quality stuff, which bottoms out around $1500.

On another note, when I typed in "best camcorders 2013" into google, the first site listed the Drift HD Ghost as #5 on its list. I just thought that was plain impressive.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
The drift has the ability to focus through the fisheye angle, there is an option on visual angles with it.... Great camera

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty impressed by this one and it's only 800ish. Is this something that would have good image stability and low light performance and zoom. From what I can see it is everything I want. Supposedly the low light is good.

Sony HDR-PJ580V Review

I understand the helmet cams have the same capabilities as the regular video cameras, but I want a full fledged camera. I want a good amount of zoom, ability to change lenses, review my footage. I already have a Hero2. I am not interested in a helmet cam. No offense to them. Just not me right now.

thanks again.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Those are DSLRs. At least when I looked them up they were. Even though they are good quality I was kind of looking along the lines of a dedicated video camera. If there is no difference what so ever I mean I would get it since it takes good stills too, but if there is ANY difference I would want a Video camera only.
The difference is the DSLR has much better lenses and sensors. But you lose out in form factor. If video quality is your ultimate objective then I think a DSLR is the cheapest way to get it...

·
Registered
117 Posts
DSLR, coming from a kid in college with a soon to be communications major I've held and used them all and your best bet honestly is a DSLR, super cheap, durable, good video and pictures. Through it on a Cam Caddie and your solid. At least that's what I do.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up getting that HDR-PJ. For me it sounded like a great deal and exactly what I wanted. It was only 800 and got an extra battery and stabilizing handle for 930.

Thanks for all the input though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts