Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have one of these boards or know enough about them to recommend one over the other for the type of riding they were built for?

Virus:
Avalanche FLP AFT 176

Kessler:
Cross 168
Ride 176

Volkl:
Coal XT 168

height: 6'7"
weight: 190lbs
boot: size 14

·
The Swiss Miss
7,522 Posts
Don't think you'll get the desired answers. To my knowledge there's around one handful guys here knowing one of them. I'll maybe join a Kessler demo day and could by then compare the Ride vs. the Coal but that'll be Dec. Try search on bomberonline.com for this type of boards.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have a KTR. There's absolutely no reason you would want it in a 176 at 190lbs. You'd be better off getting them to do a custom width in an appropriate length. If any of them come in a wide version, that's the one you should get.

The Cross stands out as the odd one in your list, any reason you're considering it? In the end all of these boards are incredible and you would be hard pressed to pick one that is better than another. Get the one you like, the one that's in your price range, or the one that sounds like it is best for the style of riding you want to do with it.

*added*
one thing to consider before buying a board in this price range... are you able to stomach blowing out an edge, a core shot, delam, or some other damage on a board like these?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a KTR. There's absolutely no reason you would want it in a 176 at 190lbs. You'd be better off getting them to do a custom width in an appropriate length. If any of them come in a wide version, that's the one you should get.

The Cross stands out as the odd one in your list, any reason you're considering it? In the end all of these boards are incredible and you would be hard pressed to pick one that is better than another. Get the one you like, the one that's in your price range, or the one that sounds like it is best for the style of riding you want to do with it.

*added*
one thing to consider before buying a board in this price range... are you able to stomach blowing out an edge, a core shot, delam, or some other damage on a board like these?
I'm getting a 176 because I'm 6'7" and 190 lbs, but I'm 17 and I've grown taller but not bigger yet. I don't know about the cross, I thought I would put it on the list because it looks similar to the avalanche. Snowboarding is the main/only activity I like doing, so I put most of my money into it, and would be able to replace it. Thanks for the reply, and how is the KTR.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'm getting a 176 because I'm 6'7" and 190 lbs, but I'm 17 and I've grown taller but not bigger yet. I don't know about the cross, I thought I would put it on the list because it looks similar to the avalanche. Snowboarding is the main/only activity I like doing, so I put most of my money into it, and would be able to replace it. Thanks for the reply, and how is the KTR.
You're starting to sound more and more like a troll looking back through your recent posts. If you're stretching to afford a park and free ride board, you cant afford a $1500 dollar one. I might be wrong about the troll part but you need to stop being so adhd and figure out your budget and what you want to ride. You also need to make a realistic evaluation of your skill level.

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
The Kessler Cross is a race board, specifically designed for SBX... I have ridden, and they are not easy boards to ride unless for the specific reason, that is not to say that they can't be ridden, but you just would NOT ride it on a hill with others...!!! I know people who race SBX professionally, and they will not even stay strapped in in a lift queue and these are guys that own 5 Kesslers...!!!

Apex make very similar boards, and the are the same...

I have thought about purchasing one, and riding it just SBX, but then the difference for me would be so minimal there is no point whatsoever, i could pay £1000 for one of them, or £300 for a general board and still get down the hill in maybe only a second slower...

·
The Swiss Miss
7,522 Posts
You're starting to sound more and more like a troll looking back through your recent posts.
Oh yes... the noob going down a black with a Cobra and thus thinking he's an expert. Don't think he's a troll but a naïve teenager with excessive self-confidence oblivious for good advice, stubbornly holding to the idea that he needs to have a "badass" board right now, gathering scattered out of context information on boards that might fulfill this alleged attribute, yet without even having ridden a camber deck so far (gasp... now that was a long sentence... did I forget anything?) Shred, this is not meant to offend (although I tend to believe that's impossible :rolleyes:. I kind of salute you're Gore-Tex like impermeability for former sarcasm), but really... one day you ask about shapes, next you're positive to get a Flagship, and some days later you're into BTX oriented boards. You're advancing by reading? It's ok to not know a lot on board tech (hell, I know close to nothing) and ask to gain knowledge, but to think you need such a board for your "style of riding" is something different.

(Now in a mam's voice): Boards are rated to be for beginners or for advanced riders not to insult you, but to protect you from being disappointed.

Seriously, go find a shop where you can rent boards. Get a camber one and feel the difference. It will show you your skill level (not meant sarcastically!). If you're this talent given by nature and you ride it the entire day on blacks without hard falls from catching edges, putting pencil lined carves and ride 70mph for fun, then for heaven's sake, get a Kessler/Virus/Oxxess. That's what they're meant for: High-speed euro carving. They're not meant for learning to do it. They won't make it easier, on contrary, they will hold you back. Believe me, I know it. I learned on a too big, too stiff alpine oriented board that could be ridden either with soft or hard boots. If you really really want to urgently buy an "advanced" board, get e.g. a Burton Custom trad. camber, a great aggressive all-mountain board, good for carving, stable at speed, and still offering the possibility to lap odd pow.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not stretching to afford a park and freeride board. Free ride is all I really do and I'm not going to be doing any park features like boxes, rails, and jibs. I did think about what riding im going to do and decided to only get a freeride board. You're right about the skill level though. I overstated it a little in my previous posts. I'm not getting any of these boards soon. It would not be until at least next year. Right now I'm an expert in terms of bear valleys terrain(steep only in some areas), which is like intermediate/advanced compared to other mountains. I've rode multiple full camber boards on demos. When I was asking people about the flagship was before I knew anything about the European companies. I'm going to demo the flagship, and the only negative review I've heard is that it's dampness is non-existent. This year I'm hoping to get in at least 100 days of riding. Neni, I don't think a board like this would hold someone back, but you would have to learn the hard way.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,522 Posts
I'm not stretching to afford a park and freeride board. Free ride is all I really do and I'm not going to be doing any park features like boxes, rails, and jibs. I did think about what riding im going to do and decided to only get a freeride board. You're right about the skill level though. I overstated it a little in my previous posts. I'm not getting any of these boards soon. It would not be until at least next year. Right now I'm an expert in terms of bear valleys terrain(steep only in some areas), which is like intermediate/advanced compared to other mountains. I've rode multiple full camber boards on demos. When I was asking people about the flagship was before I knew anything about the European companies. I'm going to demo the flagship, and the only negative review I've heard is that it's dampness is non-existent. This year I'm hoping to get in at least 100 days of riding. Neni, I don't think a board like this would hold someone back, but you would have to learn the hard way.
Sounds like a good plan :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hi, I am an advanced/expert rider. I currently have a neversummer 161 cobra x with burton cartel bindings. I got it as my first board because I wanted an all mountain board that can do some park. Now I'm thinking about doing more rides in the park. I don't know much about boards condsidering I'm still using my first board. I need suggestions for one board that can shred park and pow or two boards that are built specifically for pow or park. Also any suggestions for a powder twin board?

Height: 6'7"
Weight: 195-200 lbs
Current board: neversummer 161 cobra x
Bindings: burton cartel
Would 2013 burton cartels work with a 2014 jones flagship?
The type of riding. And I'm actually going to wait until the end of this season when the prices for 2014 boards go down.
I don't have a ton of money to spend and when really thought about it, in not going to do full on park (rails, boxes, jibs)
I am considering getting a second board, but I don't know much about how the flex rating, stiffness, and all the different stats relate to how a board actually rides on the mountain. This would most likely be for deciding on an aggressive freeride board that is also proficient with bc booters and cliff drops, and good on both groomers and powder.
16 days total for last season. I've always snowboarded before, but on rentals. 5 of those 16 days was when I went from being a beginner to advanced. The cobra is the first board I have gotten.
In my previous posts I was searching for a freeride powder board. I now realize why this was an unanswerable question. I am now trying to decide between 3 boards for mostly backcountry freeriding and going back on the runs to get back to lifts. I am 6'7" and I weigh 190 lbs and I wear size 13 or 14 thirty two boots (I forget the size).

Jones Flagship (carbon or wooden)
Virus Avalanche
Kessler Alpine/Cross/Ride

Any other board suggestions would be appreciated, but I need a board that is excellent for all mountain freeriding and can handle powder. Any suggestions about any of these boards would help.
Has anyone rode this board with decals/stickers on it? I'm not sure how well they would work/stay on with the carbon fiber top sheet.
Some of your "highlights". Maybe stop posting until you learn something, or listen to the advice/information you've already been offered. This list doesn't even include the posts where you give "advice".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts