Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a new board, been riding the Rossi Onemag what feels like forever but never really loved it.

Background: I ride around 10-20 days a season mostly east coast with a trip or two to the west or Europe. I Am not the greatest boarder around but can handle most things though I am bit slow through trees and bumps. I love big carve turns on the groomers but also really like the trees and love big bowls. The biggest struggle with my current board is that I like to ride fast when riding with my skier buds and it really doesn’t hold up. Ps I rarely ride the park or switch.

Demo’d the following boards: Jones Flagship, Jones Frontier, Burton Skelton Key, Burton Flight Attendant, Burton Deep Thinker, Arbor Element Camber, Marhar Drakside and another board or two.

The Flagship was amazing, it did what I wanted when I wanted and even on the steepest parts of Aspen I felt supremely confident. The only problem was that it wasn’t the most fun when I went into deep carving turns for that two other boards I tried stood out.

The most fun I had was the Flight Attended and surprisingly the Element (don’t hear much about this board). The problem was that the FA was scary for me anywhere other than groomers (I think I am not skilled enough to get it to turn quickly in trees and found it was bit hard to handle on sketchy snow). The problem with the Arbor Element was it didn’t feel that great at the highest speeds plus it won’t really work for powder.

Questions
Is there a board that rides like the Flagship but is as much fun (or close to as much fun) as Burton FA when on its side?

Is the Stratos the answer?

Or should I get the flagship and get a cheap used carving board for groomer days in the east?

What do you guys think?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I don't love my flagship in the trees. It has decent float but it's really a beast to whip around sometimes. For what you're describing, I'd look at the Amplid Surfari. I recently got it's big brother the Pentaquark, and it carves so incredibly hard without a speed limit. I think the Surfari would rule the groomers and also do well in the trees and powder fields. It's on my short list.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try sizing down with the flagship if it rides how you want. Ive been interested in the flight attendant for a while but never tried it.
I sized down my BSOD from 162 to 156. 20lbs over weight limit. Still carves hard and more nimble. It handles steep/deep powder well but I lost speed on flat zones and went nose down without shifting weight back.
Pair the width with your boots...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Try sizing down with the flagship if it rides how you want. Ive been interested in the flight attendant for a while but never tried it.
I sized down my BSOD from 162 to 156. 20lbs over weight limit. Still carves hard and more nimble. It handles steep/deep powder well but I lost speed on flat zones and went nose down without shifting weight back.
Pair the width with your boots...
I sized down on a Flagship and it is still not good in the trees. I feel like I lost some float and it's not as great for freeride either. Sort of downgraded what I wanted a Flagship for. I wish I had gotten a larger size and something else for the trees.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't love my flagship in the trees. It has decent float but it's really a beast to whip around sometimes. For what you're describing, I'd look at the Amplid Surfari. I recently got it's big brother the Pentaquark, and it carves so incredibly hard without a speed limit. I think the Surfari would rule the groomers and also do well in the trees and powder fields. It's on my short list.
Thanks for the feedback. Do you have the newest flagship? I didn't find it so difficult in the trees and so I wonder if that's the difference... Of course I didn't really spend more than 2 hours on it so not 100% sure. The Sufari looks really cool but I'm concerned it'll have the same problem as the flight attendant ie that'll be too much bored for me to handle outside the groomers.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
The Stratos should give you a significantly better carving experience than what you get with the Flagship. I have a Stratos, a Flight Attendant and a One Mag. I used to have a Flagship (a couple of seasons ago). I haven't ridden the Stratos and Flag back-to-back because I sold the Flag the summer before last.

Of all of those boards above, if I could only have one for everything (big mountain, small mountain, local hills, riding with the kids, riding with friends) it would be the Stratos. Second would be the One mag. If you haven't considered the Signal Yup, that's another great one to throw in there. It won't charge as hard as the Stratos because it's not as stiff, but it's a super all-rounder.

A board being good or bad "In the trees" doesn't say much because "tree riding" varies with when and where you ride -- tight, spaced, powder, packed, icy, steep, mellow etc...even on the same resort.

I'm kind of disappointed to hear good news about the Element, btw, as I had just talked myself out of buying one...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Do you have the newest flagship? I didn't find it so difficult in the trees and so I wonder if that's the difference...
I have an older Flagship. It's one of the earlier ones, maybe 15/16. It's probably changed a bit since then. I'd assume its spirit is the same, but I heard the new ones are softer.

A board being good or bad "In the trees" doesn't say much because "tree riding" varies with when and where you ride -- tight, spaced, powder, packed, icy, steep, mellow etc...even on the same resort.
This is a great point. I'll specify that I didn't like it in the tight and technical trees we have in Summit County Colorado. I'm always "threading the needle." Also, snow in the trees is often unpredictably variable around here. I felt it needed a little more torsional flex to be an easy ride in there. I've been thinking about splitting it, and I hope that will relax the torsional flex a little.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I sized down on a Flagship and it is still not good in the trees. I feel like I lost some float and it's not as great for freeride either. Sort of downgraded what I wanted a Flagship for. I wish I had gotten a larger size and something else for the trees.
I demoed a 159 Orca today. It was floaty with no effort in powder and even agile for the 159. I weght 210lbs @ 6"1'. I took it on groomers, moguls, some ice in the shade and tree line powder sidehits about 6 to 10 inches deep. It didnt require the backward lean that the BSOD does. I set the rear binding all the way back. I thought the magnetraction added some grind while up on edge through choppy areas but not a horrible chatter... try it if you can.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Travis Rice makes that Orca look really good in Dark Matter. I'd like to try one for sure. It won't make me Travis Rice, but they look like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It was a gamble for me regarding the hyvrid camber boards. Not a fan of my softer Burton Custom Flying V Rocker but the stiffer Orca is worth checking out.

It was really cool to expect to nose dive in powder without a lean and be surprised about how well the board stayed on top. The tapered tail was magical.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Stratos should give you a significantly better carving experience than what you get with the Flagship. I have a Stratos, a Flight Attendant and a One Mag. I used to have a Flagship (a couple of seasons ago). I haven't ridden the Stratos and Flag back-to-back because I sold the Flag the summer before last.

Of all of those boards above, if I could only have one for everything (big mountain, small mountain, local hills, riding with the kids, riding with friends) it would be the Stratos. Second would be the One mag. If you haven't considered the Signal Yup, that's another great one to throw in there. It won't charge as hard as the Stratos because it's not as stiff, but it's a super all-rounder.
Wow you had my past, what I'm trying, and (probably) future!
How was the carve on the stratos compared to the FA?
I am worried that so far I have been attracted to only almost "pure" camber boards and the stratos might be a bit to rocker feeling...

Yes that is exactly what I refer to when I speak of trees, I want a board that with quick-ish turns that can handle steeps and powder and a little ice.....though if it is too icy I probably don't go there and rather stay on-piste.

I'm kind of disappointed to hear good news about the Element, btw, as I had just talked myself out of buying one...
Lol addiction can't be beat by logic alone.
Though if I am being honest not sure how it would do on serious terrain or real high speeds I rode it a little in kilington.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I demoed a 159 Orca today. It was floaty with no effort in powder and even agile for the 159. I weght 210lbs @ 6"1'. I took it on groomers, moguls, some ice in the shade and tree line powder sidehits about 6 to 10 inches deep. It didnt require the backward lean that the BSOD does. I set the rear binding all the way back. I thought the magnetraction added some grind while up on edge through choppy areas but not a horrible chatter... try it if you can.
Before I did the demos this season the orca was on my short list and I meant to get to it...
But like the comments below have said I during the demos I realized I really like that feeling of camber plus with the short boards I felt the lack of a tail though most people don't seem to have an issue with it.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I am worried that so far I have been attracted to only almost "pure" camber boards and the stratos might be a bit to rocker feeling...
As far as rocker feeling is concerned, don't worry about that. It will feel more cambered and locked in than the Flagship did.

The Stratos definitely still has a less catchy feeling when flat based and when initiating turns. It's not that it's loose. It's just not catchy is all. When you get it on edge, though, it stays there and it's competent. I've had it in very firm to icy conditions as well and was surprised that the contouring wasn't an issue that I had to adjust to in that setting at all. I didn't find myself wanting more immediate edge hold/catch, but probably because I had already adjusted to riding it. I become aware of the difference in the way it engages the edge when I ride something more direct either before or after the Stratos (eg. Signal Yup the a couple of days ago). The FA is more immediate in engaging the edge, but it doesn't hold better than the Stratos.

It's a great board. Demo it if you get the chance, but I suspect that it'll be everything you liked about the Flagship, but better on edge and easier to manage in tight, technical situations.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As far as rocker feeling is concerned, don't worry about that. It will feel more cambered and locked in than the Flagship did.

The Stratos definitely still has a less catchy feeling when flat based and when initiating turns. It's not that it's loose. It's just not catchy is all. When you get it on edge, though, it stays there and it's competent. I've had it in very firm to icy conditions as well and was surprised that the contouring wasn't an issue that I had to adjust to in that setting at all. I didn't find myself wanting more immediate edge hold/catch, but probably because I had already adjusted to riding it. I become aware of the difference in the way it engages the edge when I ride something more direct either before or after the Stratos (eg. Signal Yup the a couple of days ago). The FA is more immediate in engaging the edge, but it doesn't hold better than the Stratos.

It's a great board. Demo it if you get the chance, but I suspect that it'll be everything you liked about the Flagship, but better on edge and easier to manage in tight, technical situations.
Hey ! Im looking to get a great 10/10 carving board with like a 7/10 powder capability, from what you said the Stratos seems like THE board. So Im wondering, how would you compare the flex between the Statos and the FA ? (I ride a Burton Deep Thinker wich basically has the same flex as the FA)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hey ! Im looking to get a great 10/10 carving board with like a 7/10 powder capability, from what you said the Stratos seems like THE board. So Im wondering, how would you compare the flex between the Statos and the FA ? (I ride a Burton Deep Thinker wich basically has the same flex as the FA)
I really enjoy my Nidecker Tracer and I bet that the Nidecker Concept would be great for a more hard carving guy. People also rave about the Amplid Unw8.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I personally decided not to buy the Starots after a interesting incident. I found one sellin for 450 on ebay and I sent a message to the owner asking if he would take a bit over 400 for it. Reason being I wasn't sure if I would need to sell it again because I never got a chance to demo it. He answered the price is not an issue but that maybe he could help me decide if the board was for me and asked me height and weight etc. Long story short it was the guy from Goodrides (not sure which) and he was amazing took the time to discuss all board options with me multiable emails back and forth ( I would have thought he was burnt out of all the board conversations he rides like a hundred plus boards a year but whatever...)

Anyway he said that he was selling the board as even though it was a tun of fun in light stuff when it came to riding over choppy snow or even riding medium fast the super lightweight materials made for a very bumpy ride and uncomfortable ride. Therefore he told me not to bother and instead get something else (I am looking for something fast) anyhow that's what my research told me and shout out to the guys on the Goodride seems like they be Good People

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
FA was definitely stiffer than the Stratos. The pop on the Stratos is easily-accessible where you have to work a bit harder or ride a bit faster with the FA. I wouldn't call either of them 10/10 for carving, though. They're both good on edge, but neither is even close to 10/10. The Stratos was just really well-balanced and had a nice transition between playfulness and grip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I personally decided not to buy the Starots after a interesting incident. I found one sellin for 450 on ebay and I sent a message to the owner asking if he would take a bit over 400 for it. Reason being I wasn't sure if I would need to sell it again because I never got a chance to demo it. He answered the price is not an issue but that maybe he could help me decide if the board was for me and asked me height and weight etc. Long story short it was the guy from Goodrides (not sure which) and he was amazing took the time to discuss all board options with me multiable emails back and forth ( I would have thought he was burnt out of all the board conversations he rides like a hundred plus boards a year but whatever...)

Anyway he said that he was selling the board as even though it was a tun of fun in light stuff when it came to riding over choppy snow or even riding medium fast the super lightweight materials made for a very bumpy ride and uncomfortable ride. Therefore he told me not to bother and instead get something else (I am looking for something fast) anyhow that's what my research told me and shout out to the guys on the Goodride seems like they be Good People
Yeah they're really helpful but I don't reallyyy trust them when it comes to carving and such...They reviewed the Deep Thinker and said that it needed a strong rider to push and carve and such...and Im good at carving (Lvl3 instructor in CA) but not a strong rider, I was 130lbs when I first rode it (so a lightweight) and I found it so easy to push and drive it hard...They also reviewed the Timeless wich is a beast for carving and their carving was just skidded turns with knees bent...BUT I still love them because even though it's not some deep/complex review, it really helps people narrowing down their choice and learning the basics of what you want or not of a board depending of your goals/riding style.
Curious, what board are you looking at if not the Stratos ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
FA was definitely stiffer than the Stratos. The pop on the Stratos is easily-accessible where you have to work a bit harder or ride a bit faster with the FA. I wouldn't call either of them 10/10 for carving, though. They're both good on edge, but neither is even close to 10/10. The Stratos was just really well-balanced and had a nice transition between playfulness and grip.
Ahhh alright then, the search for the perfect board continues !

·
Premium Member
559 Posts

The Stratos was good in powdery as well as more wet chop for me, but I didn't get to test it in the really heavy spring chop because the season was cut short. No offense to the Good Ride, but watching them ride I would expect any choppy terrain to be a bit of a battle on any board.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts