Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup shedders.

i was looking for a new board to do it all after my previous one snapped. Decided to use 2 demo days boards on boards to get a good feel. Demoed a Superpig, but it happened to be a deep pow day at Snowbird. Then demoed a Never Summer Proto Type Two because they didn’t have a warpig in the next day. Really liked the Superpig but wanted more flex for park stuff so I decided to buy the warpig.

On my first run though I immediately realized I hated it. It was incredibly stiff especially torsionally. I couldn’t initiate a turn to save my life and constantly felt like I was going to catch an edge. It felt like riding a skateboard, wanted to just pick a line and stick to it. Didn’t feel surfy at all, even in pow.

Is this just due to it being new and not broken in yet, or is it partly because the edges are factory sharp or is it just because of the flat camber and that’s how it rides? Anyone have an experience like this? Was really really hoping to get more flex out of this board. I doubt the shop will let me return it. Any way I can learn to get a good feel out of this board? Because currently it feels unrideable

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
What size warpig? What's your weight, boot size, height? What bindings do you have on it, and what angles are they set at? It will break in a bit softer.

Reactions: ridethecliche

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What size warpig? What's your weight, boot size, height? What bindings do you have on it, and what angles are they set at? It will break in a bit softer.
Size Large which is 154 I believe, volume shifted tho. I’m 6’6” 200lbs size 13 boot. I have the arbor hemlock bindings which are pretty soft set at +-15°.

Im sure it will break in a bit but I’m just worried it won’t be enough to get some really playful flex

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
The Pig isn’t stiff, but it’s not soft either. It will break in though.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Size Large which is 154 I believe, volume shifted tho. I’m 6’6” 200lbs size 13 boot. I have the arbor hemlock bindings which are pretty soft set at +-15°.

Im sure it will break in a bit but I’m just worried it won’t be enough to get some really playful flex
Soft bindings and stiff-ish board can lead to that feeling imho.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,808 Posts
On my first run though I immediately realized I hated it. It was incredibly stiff especially torsionally. I couldn’t initiate a turn to save my life and constantly felt like I was going to catch an edge. It felt like riding a skateboard, wanted to just pick a line and stick to it. Didn’t feel surfy at all, even in pow.
I can't speak to the pig specificially, but I had a similar experience with my Blur and my Speed Freak, both of which are stiffer than I'm used to--and both have a long effective edge. It took a day or so before I felt comfy on them, and after a couple of days they've become my favorite boards. The attributes that may make a board initially hard to deal with are the same ones that can make it shine once you adapt. Give it at least three sessions before you give up on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love my Warpig. Thing is a total monster, but I will say you have to be “intentional” with turns on it, if that makes any sense.

Once you get a feel for it, it’s like surfing and carving all at once. I find it super playful for what it offers.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,808 Posts
I love my Warpig. Thing is a total monster, but I will say you have to be “intentional” with turns on it, if that makes any sense.

Once you get a feel for it, it’s like surfing and carving all at once. I find it super playful for what it offers.
That's what the SF felt like. I said in my review that you have to be on your game when doing turns. But you do get used to it. Maybe it's a stiff-board thing.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts

You have the size to ride it so it will hopefully just come with some more familiarity. I'm same weight but 6'1" 9.5 boot when I owned my 154 Warpig, took a bit more work on edge but nothing terrible. I'd try it with stiffer bindings if you can, or at least try maybe +21, -9 for bindings angles to get your back foot more across the border to help with leverage a bit, and try involving your ankles more in your turns. If you're primarily using knees and hips, you could help quicken up your turns and the boards response by initiating the turn with your ankles as well. You won't turn aggressively but it'll help get the turn going a little faster each time if you're more deliberate with every movement.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Also, that's a directional board.

Try binding angles of +21/-9 to start off. See how that changes things.

Your stance position on the board is also going to change how the board feels because it's S-camber afaik.

·
Registered
256 Posts

I'm 5' 11" and 215lbs size 12 boot and ride the 154 with Flow NX2 at +/-15. I hated it the first time I rode it but then the 2nd time it just clicked and I don't ride anything else anymore. I've been riding it for 2 seasons now and tried riding my Niche Story and now I hated that, actually sold it already. I think I'm hooked on these short volume shifted boards, they ride different but once you get used to it you'll love it. You may want to try a stiffer binding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts