Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still haven't made up my mind but narrowed it down to the above. I ride groomers, carving, side hits, medium jumps and general playing around with very little powder (booooo) and no rails. I'm int-adv and 205lbs coming from a rocker blacklist. I only get to ride 14 days a year and need a quiver of one. Don't want to compromise too much on the carving but also want it to be fun and decent in the park (jumps only).

I'm thinking something traditional like a Rome agent or Warden or the warpig, twinpig or PP.
I'm fairly set on these as I have big feet and want 27 at the waist. Coming from 26.2 it's just not enough so please no DOA, Yes (undercut the stupidest idea for big footers), Jones or any other mid wide brand/model.

Given the options above what would you say?

P. S promise I won't ask again after this :p:censored:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I do own Warpig 154. This board like to go fast, carve well, jumps no problem.
But now I would leaning more in to PP (but i haven't ride it) because its softer and more fun frim what i heard.
In my opinion Warpig is a fast charger, and it doesn't like slow ride.

So if you like to go fast go with Warpig.

Wysłane z mojego LM-V405 przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do own Warpig 154. This board like to go fast, carve well, jumps no problem.
But now I would leaning more in to PP (but i haven't ride it) because its softer and more fun frim what i heard.
In my opinion Warpig is a fast charger, and it doesn't like slow ride.

So if you like to go fast go with Warpig.

Wysłane z mojego LM-V405 przy użyciu Tapatalka
Thanks Dudi that is useful perspective. I think the PP is more playful and fun orientated but not sure it is really an all mountain quiver. I am leaning towards the Warpig and you have helped me that way.

·
Registered
319 Posts
2019 PP vs Warpig it’s a tie.

2020 PP vs Warpig for me (surfer) it’s the Warpig because it’s still flat to rocker. You may be just the opposite and appreciate the camber they added to the 2020 PP

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2019 PP vs Warpig it’s a tie.

2020 PP vs Warpig for me (surfer) it’s the Warpig because it’s still flat to rocker. You may be just the opposite and appreciate the camber they added to the 2020 PP
Yes I have seen conflicting reports on the PP new setup. Angry Snowboarder likes the new camber profile whereas ACT snowboarding reviews say it is worse for it, seems like you agree with the latter. I actually followed Angry's advice getting the Blacklist all these years ago and have enjoyed it BUT it was never wide enough and now I am looking to switch (no fault of his though).

I've ridden camber (from 2000-2012) and rocker (2012 to now) but never flat to rocker so I am a little worried I won't like it. Truth is I would probably be fine with any of them as long as I don't get any toe/heel drag!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I prefer flat to rocker to actual rocker, especially for carving. Flat to rocker vs camber is a tough one. You'll get extra pop and easier landings with the camber, but the flat to rocker is a little looser, surfy, and more forgiving. How icy is it where you ride? Short fats loose some effective edge, more traditional boards may be a better choice if grip is paramount.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Me too, flat to rocker is nice. I don’t mind camber if done to my tastes, but unless I can see it on the table and confirm it’ll work for me I am pretty much shooting in the dark, hoping to hit the target.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I prefer flat to rocker to actual rocker, especially for carving. Flat to rocker vs camber is a tough one. You'll get extra pop and easier landings with the camber, but the flat to rocker is a little looser, surfy, and more forgiving. How icy is it where you ride? Short fats loose some effective edge, more traditional boards may be a better choice if grip is paramount.
Thanks for that, having been on Rocker for so long and Camber before that I really don't know how they ride. It sounds like flat to rocker is a good compromise especially for someone like me who is a little afraid that I have "gone soft" since my camber days. I like the sound of the surfy feel as it just seems fun and I do surf (albeit very badly).

I ride in Austria mostly and tend to go towards the end of the season when it is soft to slushy but potentially corduroy in the morning. I'm a picky git though and so if it is icy out I probably wouldn't be enjoying it and lasting all that long anyway.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Short fats are ideal in the slush! The slush is a lot of fun to surf on, so maybe the flat to rocker there.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Me too, flat to rocker is nice. I don’t mind camber if done to my tastes, but unless I can see it on the table and confirm it’ll work for me I am pretty much shooting in the dark, hoping to hit the target.
Oh right, when I think of camber I think of the aggressive stuff of the late 90s and noughties but I thought it had mellowed out a lot recently with all sorts of tweaks to make it more forgiving i.e. Rome's fusion camber. I wouldn't know just looking at it mind so it seems you must have a good eye!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Short fats are ideal in the slush! The slush is a lot of fun to surf on, so maybe the flat to rocker there.
Cool, slush is my favourite type of snow as it is just fun and forgiving and makes you feel like a master (which I am not but probably should be by now!).

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yes I have seen conflicting reports on the PP new setup. Angry Snowboarder likes the new camber profile whereas ACT snowboarding reviews say it is worse for it, seems like you agree with the latter. I actually followed Angry's advice getting the Blacklist all these years ago and have enjoyed it BUT it was never wide enough and now I am looking to switch (no fault of his though).

I've ridden camber (from 2000-2012) and rocker (2012 to now) but never flat to rocker so I am a little worried I won't like it. Truth is I would probably be fine with any of them as long as I don't get any toe/heel drag!
I take it all with a grain of salt. I selectively listen to pretty much every reviewer out there. They all add value if you know what to look for. It’s taken me about a year to know what to look for. In general, Avran for flex talk and just the sheer volume of reviews, Kevin for his deer in the headlights look when he tried to describe why he likes the K2 Overboard (priceless), TJ because he’s TJ, Japangrabs for the real deal on snowsurfing, Biesty for the sheer volume of boards, on the table reviews, and secret messages that apparently only surfers understand. Hell even Guf at the House has helped me with some of his generic reviews.

When someone says it’s a good board, that’s often from their perspective, which may not match yours and ultimately lead you in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I take it all with a grain of salt. I selectively listen to pretty much every reviewer out there. They all add value if you know what to look for. It’s taken me about a year to know what to look for. In general, Avran for flex talk and just the sheer volume of reviews, Kevin for his deer in the headlights look when he tried to describe why he likes the K2 Overboard (priceless), TJ because he’s TJ, Japangrabs for the real deal on snowsurfing, Biesty for the sheer volume of boards, on the table reviews, and secret messages that apparently only surfers understand. Hell even Guf at the House has helped me with some of his generic reviews.

When someone says it’s a good board, that’s often from their perspective, which may not match yours and ultimately lead you in the wrong direction.
I agree with you 100%, they all seem to have their preferences which will definitely influence their verdict on the board but it is tricky for someone who cannot test the boards prior to getting out there. Looking at all the reviews I can see that TJ is very park focused particularly rails, which i hate but Angry appears to be all about the more aggressive directional boards (more lately anyway) which I think I'd find too restrictive and not enough fun. I think I might be between them to be honest! I am very tempted to just go with the Agent as it will likely be solid and more forgiving than my previous camber boards but part of me also loves the sound of the short/fats especially as toe/heel drag has always been an issue. I suppose though I would be looking at the 158 Warpig or 157 PP just so I can get the max width. If I went for the 154 or 152 then the waist width is the same as the Agent 161w and so feels like there is less point, does that sound stupid?

I am sure it is going to be pretty slushy at least some of the time so that puts me more towards the Warpig or PP but then I wonder what I would do if it was just firm but not icy!

·
Registered
319 Posts
You need to bite the bullet and buy a true short fat. It will likely not be the end-all be-all for you, expect to buy more boards. But for right now you need to experience no-drag and those types of decks will get you there for sure. The others are questionable. I listened to nonsense through the 90’s with people trying to tell me to ride too narrow a board. Back then big footers REALLY didn’t have options compared to today. So I went custom and that worked, but honestly it was too wide at times. So I’ve paired that back and accept occasional rear toe drag. More than one drag event a day is too much for me.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts