Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Similar idea is to jump up in the air and measure the distance between your feet in the landing position. That being said, just take a screwdriver with you and experiment on a groomer day.
This is what I did. Then fine tuned from there. I also do lots of squats for exercise and took that measurement. It was very close to the jump. So I did a couple jump squats and took the average.

·
Registered
146 Posts
This is what I did. Then fine tuned from there. I also do lots of squats for exercise and took that measurement. It was very close to the jump. So I did a couple jump squats and took the average.
Yeah, my squat stance is pretty close to identical, if not actually identical, to my snowboard stance. For simplicity, I’d generally advise starting with a stance slightly wider than your shoulders. You don’t necessarily have to overthink it, especially if you ride regularly and can experiment. If you’re a vacation rider, these details can be a little more important to get right out of the gate.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As someone who has been teaching the squat for over 25 years, optimal functional squat stance width is largely dependant on hip individual bone structure, mainly hips. I would guess snowboarding is similar, except that width will change how you can weight the board while carving, too wide and you won't be able to get enough weight over the middle the board in a deep carve. So I would say it depends on your hip structure, board length and shape, and riding style.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts