Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you supposed to wash waterproof jackets/pants/gloves?

I know that if you just machine wash them normally they'll lose their waterproofing, so how in the world are you supposed to clean them?

My gloves say I basically can't wash them at all. :dunno:

·
Registered
271 Posts
My 686 Mannual Ridge Pants that are water-proofed say to wash them with warm water and gentle hand soap, but that is just for certain areas I think... As far as washing the whole thing themselves...:dunno:

But they are just gloves so they should be small enough that it won't be a big pain.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
One option is to reapply the waterproofing. Something like scotch guard. Like a factory paint job though, methinks it'll never be the same as brand new.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Yeah I don't want the hassle of applying stuff onto it.
If you're just trying to remove some stains than sure, but if you're trying to get them clean, I honestly think the easiest was is to wash and then respray them all. I just hang everything in my basement and give it a couple coats of silicone spray. Doesn't take long actually...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is that? My gloves/jacket tell me not to machine wash so I'd rather not. Perhaps hand wash with whatever that stuff is?

·
Registered
161 Posts
What is that? My gloves/jacket tell me not to machine wash so I'd rather not. Perhaps hand wash with whatever that stuff is?
You can hand wash with Tech Wash. Your gear will probably be fine to machine wash in a front loader, but I wouldn't use a top loader. Here's the link to the product page: http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=4

I've also used Dreft on outdoor gear with good results. It's a laundry soap for baby clothes, so it's very gentle on your stuff and doesn't leave any residue. If you're using detergents (Tech Wash is not technically a detergent), use powdered ones only.

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,133 Posts
I've used Tech Wash on my 'boarding gear for years - and in a top loading washer. Always works and never any problems.

You may want to check with the manufacturer of your clothes as to how they recommend cleaning them if you're still worried.

·
Registered
74 Posts
it is not the washing machine that fucks up the clothes its the detergent !!!

just go to mountain/climbing kind of store and they will have what you need for sure !!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ok so I'll get some of that stuff and a front loading washer. How much do front loading washers go for nowadays? :p
Lol, well if you don't have one, and none of your friends have one, and you don't know of a laundromat that has them, I'd personally just hand wash that stuff. It's not as if a top loader is going to destroy your gear, but agitators can be rough on fabrics, so it's more of a long-term wear and tear issue.

·
Registered
845 Posts
My new MT. Hardware coat, Alakazam, says to wash in washer blah blah on specific instructions, but I don't think that's a good idea.

I plan to hand/spot wash when needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts